Rangers acquire Garza

For Olt, Edwards and Grimm

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Rangers acquire Garza

cliff lee babyCool

As always - 100% correct!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Dr. Andrews clearing Buchholz today likely ended the Sox interest and possibly cost the Cubs some leverage against the Rangers.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

How good are these 3?

Who would you compare them to in the Sox organization?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

More power to em. The Sox are done with Texas, and I doubt we see him again. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

How good are these 3?

[/QUOTE]

Hard to make comparison to our organization. Maybe Middlebrooks, Workman, Buttrey is a good comparable. 

Olt is the Rangers #1 prospect (not including Profar) and is ML Ready, but Beltre is blocking him. 

Edwards is nothing special. He's in the range of 10-20 for the Rangers prospects...high A pitcher. 

Grimm is a young swing man in the Bigs now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Sox weren't in on him anyways their focus has been on relievers. With cursory interest in Peavy. Acquiring a Cliff Lee would be a difference maker.especially if they can make it a multi player deal. Lee and Young for x,y and z. Or a trade for Peavy and Crain with the same three players involved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Thats too much for Garza even though you could argue they gave up no top 100 prospects. Although all 3 would be close to top 100 types. The closest equivelents would probably be Middlebrooks-Workman-[cross between Owens-Buttery] since there is no good comp between Edwards and the Sox. Crazy for 12 starts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Going by Scouting Book rankings, Bradley Jr, Denney & Marrero would be a good comp.  I agree too much to pay for Garza, but he is going to be one of the top FAs this winter - maybe the Rangers want him beyond 2013, and feel this gives them a leg up on other suiters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Thats too much for Garza even though you could argue they gave up no top 100 prospects. Although all 3 would be close to top 100 types. The closest equivelents would probably be Middlebrooks-Workman-[cross between Owens-Buttery] since there is no good comp between Edwards and the Sox. Crazy for 12 starts.

Olt was BA #44 on the midseason rankings this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

Olt was BA #44 on the midseason rankings this year.

[/QUOTE]

True.  But Sickels had him outside his top 75,  Keith Law didn't rank him in his top 50 and Jason Parks likes Luis Sardinas and Jorge Alfaro more then Olt and both are borderline top 100 at best.  I think its a close call. Never been high on Olt myself. His defense is not that good. And the vision thing has complicated his ranking. Probably top 100, but I don't think it would be consensus.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The most I would hope the Sox would give up might be Ranaudo, since it could be a "sell high" opportunity for a pitcher whose minor league career has been rife with injuries and underperformance before this season.

I did say Garza would get at least one top 100 prospect, and Olt appears to be the guy.  Rental prices for starting pitchers seem to start with at least one top 100 prospect, as evidenced by Sanchez (Turner) and Greinke (Segura) last year...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not crazy about Olt.  But Edwards is a real wildcard.  Too low a draft to be considered a prospect yet, but overwhelming numbers at the A level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

How good are these 3?

Will Middlebrooks, Allen Webster and Ty Buttrey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]How good are these 3?

Will Middlebrooks, Henry Owens and Ty Buttrey.

[/QUOTE]

I can see the obvious Middlebrooks / Olt compable.

But, really, Grimm is already in MLB.  Neither Owens nor Buttrey can make that claim.

Maybe a better comparable for Grimm would be Britton or Workman...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I think you said it would cost a lot more then people think. You were right. The thing that shocks me is the amount of players. Its now up to 5 I think with TWO players to be named later added. If you want "numbers" in a deal, the Red Sox and Rangers are the place to go. Theo and Jed done good I think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

decent return for the cubs, but not great. olt has been aweful in AAA this this year and is 25 yrs old, comparing him to middlebrooks  is not valid. middlebrooks is younger and has had more success at the major league level. Grimm is downright brutal, not even sure why the cubs wanted him. 6.37 era this year, 9.00 era last year. Cj edwards is the best peice the cubs got in this deal, overall they didnt get much though. Really think ben could have topped that offer pretty easily. I would say a comparable offer from the sox would be:

brentz, britton, buttrey

Which I would certainly do. Looks like peavy could be our guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I was going to stay away from the board until the PS but now I'm signing out until next season if at all.  The Garza trade for crap prospects was proof our FO isn't in it to win it and still has a lousy medical staff.  With or without Clay our fans may has well start talking about next season because our staff is no comparison to Tampa.  Dempster is pathetic, Jon inconsistent, Clay a whimp, Doub still learning and Lackey of all people is our best pitcher right now.

If we don't trade for a decent SP by July 31rst I have penciled our team into a 3rd place finish.  FO take notice, our young pitchers are not major league ready.  Garza, Peavy, Lee are so once again you can suffer with your decision to whimp out at the deadline to protect our many unproven prospects.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

decent return for the cubs, but not great. olt has been aweful in AAA this this year and is 25 yrs old, comparing him to middlebrooks  is not valid. middlebrooks is younger and has had more success at the major league level.

Middlebrooks is only 2 weeks younger. Basically they are the same age. Personally, I prefer Middlebrooks, but they are very comparable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

decent return for the cubs, but not great. olt has been aweful in AAA this this year and is 25 yrs old, comparing him to middlebrooks  is not valid. middlebrooks is younger and has had more success at the major league level.Grimm is downright brutal, not even sure why the cubs wanted him. 6.37 era this year, 9.00 era last year. Cj edwards is the best peice the cubs got in this deal, overall they didnt get much though. Really think ben could have topped that offer pretty easily. I would say a comparable offer from the sox would be:

brentz, britton, buttrey

Which I would certainly do. Looks like peavy could be our guy.

Will Middlebrooks is 13 days younger than Mike Olt. Middlebrooks was Baseball America's 51st-ranked prospect entering the 2012 season while Olt was BA's 43rd-ranked prospect entering the 2012 and 22nd-ranked prospect entering the 2013 season. Here are their cumulative minor league numbers:

WM 1829 PA, .275/.332/.454/.786, 137 BB (7.5%), 471 K (25.8%)

MO 1317 PA, .269/.375/.503/.878, 185 BB (14.0%), 348 K (26.4%)

The 92-point difference in OPS is hard to overlook.

Middlebrooks has been given more opportunities than Olt at the MLB level only because Adrian Beltre plays for Rangers, not the Red Sox. I don't place much weight on Olt's 40 MLB plate appearances. At any rate, I see two young but flawed thirdbasemen.

Justin Grimm's 2013 ERA doesn't look that bad next to Allen Webster's ERA of 9.91 this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Justin Grimm's 2013 ERA doesn't look that bad next to Allen Webster's ERA of 9.91 this year.

Grimm has some respectable overall numbers including a 4.25 xFIP. Although he is going backward right now and probably should be shut down for a while. I would love to get all the goodies the Cubs are getting.

Liked what I have seen from Brandon Workman so far. Four pitches, good command. 92-94. Good size. Good makeup. Calm. Downward plane. Some say they think his delivery is better suited as a reliever. I don't. I like his delivery as a starter. Not that violent and pretty smooth. He looks like a good 3-4 starter that could get to a 2 if his changeup continues to get better. I like him. I like him for the Sox NOW. Forget trading for a starter. And if Buch comes back he is our number 6, so then you can put him in the bull pen.

Also like what I have seen from De La Torre. I remember him from the WBC. I loved his toughness and breaking ball then. Now he has a 92-94 mph fast ball. Good command. Works real fast. He had pitched great his last 8 outings in AAA too. Keep De La Torre up.

I wish the Sox give him and Workman continued looks. I like these guys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Any kid thats pitched a 160 innings and not given up a HR yet, (counting last year), I'd take that chance. Surprise Edwards is not High A yet. He's blowing out Single A competition. Last start Pitched 7 innings a 1-hitter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Rangers also have to give 2 PTBNL (both Pitchers), or P Neil Ramirez.

Be rooting for ex-UCONN guy, Olt has some good Power. Rizzo and Olt, Theo finally doing things right in Chicago.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

How good are these 3?

Middy, Barnes, and maybe Workman. Then depending on who the other 2 prospects are or if they give up Ramirez. If they do that then the comp for Ramirez would probably be Owens. Although I believe the 1st 3 are slightly better than what Texas gave up, but very comparable.

Either way, Im very happy to see Ben C. not give up that much for Garza, or any rental. I like what Ive seen from Workman in his 2 starts. Enough that I have no issue if they keep trotting him out there every 5 days until Buch is ready. Although 2 losses, hes been able to limit the runs and give them 6IP and a QS. Good makeup, works quickly, doesnt get rattled, and has 4 good pitches. If that change up develops more, he could become a TOTR starter (maybe a #2).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

ben C gonna do jake peavy.  but for whom????

Sections
Shortcuts