Rate the Reporters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Rate the Reporters

I love the Sunday Baseball notes.  I loved it with Gammons and still do with Carfado.

Reporters I enjoy reading- Gammons ( can't find often); Carfado; Edes; Reiss,Finn.

middle ground - Abraham,Bedard, Gasper, Manza Young, Ryan

tolerate on very rare occasions- Shaunessey.

The Worst - Mazz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Rate the Reporters

I agree with a lot of your calls.

In my opinion Chad Finn has risen to the top.  He is so well-informed and numbers-savvy, and has a great sense of humor, like Bill Simmons but more under control and less egotistical.

Finn really shines in his on-line chats.  Amazingly fast on his feet.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from abyssinia. Show abyssinia's posts

My favorite is Chad Finn. He's well-informed and balanced. Because he has something to say he doesn't fall back on overblown rhetoric to be interesting.

I like Shalise Manza-Young who is also balanced.

Mike Reiss was very good while he was here.

The new kid from Harvard who is writing the Stats column is pretty good, too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Ryan goes to the top A+ list. As a columnist, he can write about any sport. He's a great writer, funny, and even if you disagree with him, he backs up his points strong. And back in the day, there wasn't a better basketball beat writer. Back in the 1970s and 1980s when Gammons was on the Red Sox beat and Ryan was on the Celtics beat, they were as good as it gets.

I understand why some don't like Shaughnessy, but I like him fine as a columnist and he was an excellent beat writer back in the day. I might not always agree with him, but he has more positive columns than his critics think. And whether or not you agree with him, he's an excellent writer.

Mazz was better as a beat writer than he his as a columnist, which I guess he basically is -- his boston.com blog is basically a column. He's not bad and has a lot of good stuff, but I role my eyes at some of his stuff for IMO dumb opinions or analysis more than anyone else, even Shaughnessy.

And one thing to remember, is Ryan and Shaughnessy are columnists as are Gasper and Mazz now, while others are reporters. Although beat writers will do analysis at times, there is a huge difference in the roles and writing styles of reporters and columnists.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Dan Shaugnessy has long been in the dog house with Sox fans especially since he wrote "the Curse of the Bambino". I have played ball with his brother -in- law in Colorado and Dan is attacked more than any other writer. When his daughter had cancer, TSW personmally helped with her recovery. Ted even had the young girl to his house for therapy. He is a Sox man all the way, but is cetainly more critical of the team. I like him and compared to the nabobs of negativty when TSW played, makes Dan look like an angel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think Shaughnessy is very talented and I think his books about the Sox are excellent, including that notorious one that depressed me so much the first time I read it.

And I think a lot of his columns are well done.  But...my sense is that the role of columnist bores him, and that some of his stuff is either lazy, or just playing around for the purpose of getting a reaction.  I'm very tired of the 'Theo and the minions' stuff, and I thought his hate campaign against Schilling the 'Blogboy Blowhard' was a total embarrassment. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: Rate the Reporters:
    [QUOTE]I think Shaughnessy is very talented and I think his books about the Sox are excellent, including that notorious one that depressed me so much the first time I read it. And I think a lot of his columns are well done.  But...my sense is that the role of columnist bores him, and that some of his stuff is either lazy, or just playing around for the purpose of getting a reaction.  I'm very tired of the 'Theo and the minions' stuff, and I thought his hate campaign against Schilling the 'Blogboy Blowhard' was a total embarrassment. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Schilling is a very polarizing person. Not very many people liked him. Mitch Williams, the ultimate loser(ask Toronto) is very outspokenly nasty toward Schill.But guess what? Every Sox fan still remember the bloddy sock and he is ok by the vast majority of us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Mazz just awful....(unsurprisingly) a tabloid hack. No insight, no challenges...just a populist rabble rouser in the Murdoch tradition.  Huge blunder by the Globe. 

Cafardo also rubbish, largely for the same reasons.  His recent mailbag replies are mostly embarrassing.

Of the new breed, I think Abraham and Finn are good with potential.

Shaunessey & Ryan?  It's been fashionable to hate them for years....and I do think they love themselves too much i.e. they only write for the same newspaper as Rosa, Montville, Gammons and McDonough, they aren't in the same class.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Mazz is my least favorite.  I like Finn and I'm beginning to like Abraham better.  Shauhnessesy is a classic p***k, but rises to the occasion when something interesting or terrific happens, his worst columns pander the lowest common denominator.  Ryan is a good writer but like his basketball stuff better than his baseball stuff.  Cafardo so-so.  You can't group them all together under one heading as was pointed out, but I usually don't even read Mazz anymore and only Shaughnessey on occasion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

I do know the difference between a columnist and a reporter.  My opinion of each still stands.

I also like this Zuri Berry; good article about key concerns for the Pats today.

I used to like Simmons because he hated the Yankees so much and he could be funny, but I didn't give a rat's patootie about some of his sophmoric observations.  I felt like I was teaching again and overheard 15-year-old bathroom  humor and sex talk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

1. Heidi
    i2. Hazel Mae
    3. Tappen

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

One more - reading Michael Vega is the equivalent to watching paint dry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

It's interesting how opinions of people get formed. [Please accept the fact that I'm not name-dropping here, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time a couple of times].

I saw Edes talking about the Sox at a function and a couple of months later ran into him at City of Palms Park.  I mentioned having seen him earlier and we carried on a conversation for maybe 30 seconds as we walked side-by-side.  Consequently I "like" him.

I met Finn as a friend-of-a-friend and found him to be personable and intersting.  I like him too.

I came upon Mazz on the street in Boston, extended a hand to him and said thanks for your writing and told him that I enjoyed it.  Not entirely true, but I was being polite. Laughing  He shook my hand, said "Thanks" and went on his way.  Yeah, I like him.

I had a parallel exprience with Shaunessey at CoP. He was sitting at a table reading a newspaper and I offered him a handshake and acknowledged that I recognized him.  He just gave me an icy stare and went back to his newspaper.  Consequently I'm more critical of his writing than the other three.

As I said, it's intersting how we from opinions of people.  :-) 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I love Shaughenessy, his sick sense of humor matches mine, when he compared Schilling to the guy in the Dos Segues adds  was priceless. Ryan comes across as a true fan which I can appreciatte. My favorite out of towner is Mike Lupica, who takes on the NY teams and is not a typical Yankee suck-up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I forgot to add Chad Finn whose insights are always welcomed at this address.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Reporters I enjoy reading: Gammons, Carfado, Edes, Reiss, Finn, Abraham, Bedard, DuPont

Middle Ground: Manza-Young, Ryan, Shaugnessey, Massarotti

The Worst, I will not read: Gasper, Breer, Tomase

Sections
Shortcuts