Rays Only 7 Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Rays Only 7 Back

Sox will have to deal with the surging Rays with a rotation that includes Wakefield, Miller, and Lackey.  Add in an inconsistent offense and the "sure thing" playoff situation takes on a whole new meaning.  If the Rays are 4 games behind on September 12th, watch out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Re: Rays Only 7 Back

Cue the Jaws soundtrack.  There's blood in the water sportsfans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

IMO, this Sox team is way too deep for a 7 game let down in the standings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

Funny going back through the old Posts and this one said RAYS ARE ONLY 6 GB.  Of Course it was Red Sox fan talking about how the Yankees could be in trouble.  My, My, My how time flies and the shoe ends up on the other foot.  7 Games back, a freight train running down hill, Yankee's driving off into the October Sunset and Red Sox fan left to worry.  No Beckett, No offense, Bullpen's a little rough...this is going to be EPIC.  This is going to have your boy Shaunnessy, writing another one of those "the agony of it all" books, something along the lines of "The Greatest Team that Never Was".  Enjoy the fall Boston, Enjoy the Fall.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FIJISOXFAN. Show FIJISOXFAN's posts

I am not worried . . .l they are playing terrible baseball right now, kind of similar to April.  They will bounce back, the whole team can't be in a slump for 6 weeks.  Sooner or later Ells, Pedey and the boys will hit.  The only guy that scares me is Youk  . . . . because he wasn't very good before the DL, and he has been terrible sense.  The Rays can't hit, so they lose too many games to back teams . . . . .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

In Response to Re: Rays Only 7 Back:
    [QUOTE]I am not worried . . .l they are playing terrible baseball right now, kind of similar to April.  They will bounce back, the whole team can't be in a slump for 6 weeks.  Sooner or later Ells, Pedey and the boys will hit.  The only guy that scares me is Youk  . . . . because he wasn't very good before the DL, and he has been terrible sense.  The Rays can't hit, so they lose too many games to back teams . . . . .
    Posted by FIJISOXFAN[/QUOTE]

The Rays cannot hit, but they can pitch and they can shut down teams that are not hitting.  The problem with the Red Sox is that their 3,4 and 5 starters are so bad that they do not give the club a chance to win.  If Beckett misses anytime, the Red Sox could be in big trouble.  Of course the biggest problem is that there is so many head to head games between the two teams (7) and if the Yankees run off with the division, they would sit their starters in any competition against the Rays.  I mean the Yankees would extend their roster to the A Ball Tampa Yankees, anything to make the Red Sox suffer.  It would/will be EPIC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]IMO, this Sox team is way too deep for a 7 game let down in the standings.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Really? Their rotation is currently:

Lester
    Lackey
    Wakefield
    Miller (TBD)
    Beckett ( May be gone for the year)
    Bedard (Knee injury)
    Weiland (Probable starter next weekend)

Bullpen (who you can count on):

Bard
    Papelbon
    Aceves

You call that staff deep?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I am not worried . . .l they are playing terrible baseball right now, kind of similar to April.  They will bounce back, the whole team can't be in a slump for 6 weeks.  Sooner or later Ells, Pedey and the boys will hit.  The only guy that scares me is Youk  . . . . because he wasn't very good before the DL, and he has been terrible sense.  The Rays can't hit, so they lose too many games to back teams . . . . .
    Posted by FIJISOXFAN[/QUOTE]

They can't hit? How much do they have to hit with Shields, Price, Neimann, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

The Sox and Rays meet 7 more times.    Going 4-3 doesn't help either team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays Only 7 Back : Really? Their rotation is currently: Lester Lackey Wakefield Miller (TBD) Beckett ( May be gone for the year) Bedard (Knee injury) Weiland (Probable starter next weekend) Bullpen (who you can count on): Bard Papelbon Aceves You call that staff deep?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

7 Games is still a lot at this point. Tampa would basically need to sweep Boston in the head-head games and I just don't see that happening, especially with Lester probably pitching two of those games. And Aceves will spot start if needed and give the Sox extra depth in the rotation if Tito chooses to do so.

And as much as they say about Tampa's rotation, if they are that good, then they wouldn't be 7 games out of the WC hunt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

22 games left for each team.  Should be interesting.  If the Rays can get it to 5 by Friday, then it could be panic time in old Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Even if NY and Bos lost the next 3 and Tampa won those 3... big hill to climb.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

Don't know about NY losing the next 3 as they have 3 games against the O's and they are playing some of the Best Baseball they have played all season.  Being healthy and just playing with a lot of confidence.  Boston on the other hand, looks very very tired.  Uncertainity within the pitching staff and a lack of offensive consistency.  A sustain loss of Beckett and the Red Sox are done, no other way around that.  Oh they may still make the playoffs but at that point, they will be done in 3 or 4.  In reality though if Beckett is gone for two weeks( Two starts) Tampa can make some hay.  If as you say they Lose 3 and Tampa wins 3 or 4, they are done.  Tampa won't falter and the Red Sox ship will sink.  It has a potential to be a disaster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

TB has gone away.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The OP is an alarmist.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

This thread is reminiscent of the steamroller scene in Austin Powers.  

Sections
Shortcuts