Rays picked up option on Shield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Rays picked up option on Shield

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

"If" the Rays do not work out a trade with the Red Sox, then Cherington should work something out with Oakland. Oakland needs a SS.  They can afford to trade one or two of their starting pitchers.  I think obtaining Anderson from Oakland will cost Boston less than trying to obtain Shields from the Rays. 

Three years of 24-year-old Brett Anderson should cost more in trade than two more expensive years of 30-year-old James Shields.

I agree. Most GMs know that Anderson, if healthy, can be one of the best pitchers in MLB over the next 3 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

TB needs a catcher badly...

We need a starting pitcher badly...

I know it's hard to trade within a division, but not many teams can afford Shields or give up as many good prospects as the Sox can.

If Tampa Bay wants Lav and another top prospect or two, then Cherington should make a move.

If a deal falls through, then Cherington should talk with the A's who also need a catcher.  The A's might trade Anderson who seems to be healthy now (the Tigers found out the hard way during the ALDS).  

If the price was Lavarnway and Cecchini, sure.  But really, when you have decent prospects, those are the only names that come up in trade talks.  Beane isn't going to say "Give me Travis Shaw and Dan Butler, or no deal!!"  At least two from Bogaerts, Bradley, Barnes and Webster is what he will ask for.  Book it...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

TB needs a catcher badly...

We need a starting pitcher badly...

I know it's hard to trade within a division, but not many teams can afford Shields or give up as many good prospects as the Sox can.

[/QUOTE]

If Tampa Bay wants Lav and another top prospect or two, then Cherington should make a move.

If a deal falls through, then Cherington should talk with the A's who also need a catcher.  The A's might trade Anderson who seems to be healthy now (the Tigers found out the hard way during the ALDS).  

[/QUOTE]

If the price was Lavarnway and Cecchini, sure.  But really, when you have decent prospects, those are the only names that come up in trade talks.  Beane isn't going to say "Give me Travis Shaw and Dan Butler, or no deal!!"  At least two from Bogaerts, Bradley, Barnes and Webster is what he will ask for.  Book it...

I'm sure that is what they will ask for, but may settle for 1 of the 4 plus Lava and maybe a Travis Shaw, Sands or Gomez thrown in.

I do not think 2 years of Shields is worth Bogaerts, Lava and Sands, but I'd seriously consider Webster, Lava, and Sands for Anderson. (Maybe Cecchini instead of Sands)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Well, Cecchini is blocked at 3B for 5 years.  However, he was also in high A-ball last year, and really, A-ball players should not be considered blocked.  A lot can happen between now and them.

I like Webster, but of the top 4, he might be my first chocie to deal.  He has some stamina issues and has a history of struggling past 5 or 6 innings.  Of course, he is also like 22.  But still, that might be a sign that he tops out as a relief arm.

I like Bradley, but he is redundant with Kalish.  The big difference between the two is that Bradley will have a wisder trade appeal, due to his service clock and lack of injury history.  And really, Kalish was the better hitter at age 22, putting up better numbers than Bradley at higher levels.  I would not let Bradley be a sticking point in some deals.  I might withhold him for 2 years of Shields.  I am not sure how the A's feel about Bradley.  They probaby like him, but at some point, they should consider at the very least, suspending all acquistions of center fielders for a year or two.  I mean, how many do they have now?  Four on the 25-man roster?  Young, Crisp, Cespedes, and Cowgill, and one mroe I probably missed because no one fills out depth charts 5 deep.  Maybe Beane needs to focus on another positin for a couple years....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Well, Cecchini is blocked at 3B for 5 years.  However, he was also in high A-ball last year, and really, A-ball players should not be considered blocked.  A lot can happen between now and them.

I like Webster, but of the top 4, he might be my first chocie to deal.  He has some stamina issues and has a history of struggling past 5 or 6 innings.  Of course, he is also like 22.  But still, that might be a sign that he tops out as a relief arm.

I like Bradley, but he is redundant with Kalish.  The big difference between the two is that Bradley will have a wisder trade appeal, due to his service clock and lack of injury history.  And really, Kalish was the better hitter at age 22, putting up better numbers than Bradley at higher levels.  I would not let Bradley be a sticking point in some deals.  I might withhold him for 2 years of Shields.  I am not sure how the A's feel about Bradley.  They probaby like him, but at some point, they should consider at the very least, suspending all acquistions of center fielders for a year or two.  I mean, how many do they have now?  Four on the 25-man roster?  Young, Crisp, Cespedes, and Cowgill, and one mroe I probably missed because no one fills out depth charts 5 deep.  Maybe Beane needs to focus on another positin for a couple years....

I know you think Billy Beane will want a top 4 guy, but do you think the A's would take Tazawa, Lava, Doubront & Marrero (or Lin) for Anderson.

How about: Webster, Tazawa and Lava?

Would TB take Bradley, Lava and Sands/Gomez/Shaw for Shields?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Frist of all, the Sox cannot trade Marrero yet.  Not even as a PTBNL.

Tazawa, Doubront and Lavarnway plus for Brett Anderson?  Ironically, Anderson is the youngest guy in the trade.  Also, he is the best.  Granted, also the most expensive.   I would be surpised if Beane took the deal, though he does only seem to accept blockbuster packages that rejuvenate his franchise, or packages that are complete busts.  He has no middle ground at all.

Webster, Tazawa and Lavarnway for Shields?  I think Tampa would leap at it, or at least they should.  Of course, their opinion of Lavarnway might not be so high.  Still to get Webster and Tazawa alone should make it worth their while...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He will probably be traded by the time the winter meetings are over...If not sooner.

He won't come to Boston, we've got Liriano in our sights. Ha!

Source for this?

Or just another whine?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Little Game James

isnt it more like complete game james?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Frist of all, the Sox cannot trade Marrero yet.  Not even as a PTBNL.

Tazawa, Doubront and Lavarnway plus for Brett Anderson?  Ironically, Anderson is the youngest guy in the trade.  Also, he is the best.  Granted, also the most expensive.   I would be surpised if Beane took the deal, though he does only seem to accept blockbuster packages that rejuvenate his franchise, or packages that are complete busts.  He has no middle ground at all.

Webster, Tazawa and Lavarnway for Shields?  I think Tampa would leap at it, or at least they should.  Of course, their opinion of Lavarnway might not be so high.  Still to get Webster and Tazawa alone should make it worth their while...

I'm not sure I'd give all that up for Shields, but I was just looking to see if you thought there was a way to get Shields or Anderson without giving up Barnes or Bogaerts.

True, nobody knows how other GMs value (or don't) Lava. They may want Swihart instead.

If we could get Anderson without parting with Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley or Webster, I'd give about anything and everything in terms of prospects...

2 of Tazawa, Doubront or Morales

Lava or Swihart

& Lin (SS) or Vinicio (SS)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to Alibiike's comment:

He will probably be traded by the time the winter meetings are over...If not sooner.

He won't come to Boston, we've got Liriano in our sights. Ha!

Source for this?

Or just another whine?

Remember in that other thread, where I told you seabeachfred liked make up his own bad moves just so he could hold the GM accountable for them?

Meet the guy who gave him the idea...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Theo will make a move to get Shields.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He would def help them out, but what would they give the rays? Do they have a good 1b thats blocked by Rizzo or a decent catcher?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He would def help them out, but what would they give the rays? Do they have a good 1b thats blocked by Rizzo or a decent catcher?

Not sure, but TB seems to take what they think is best and not necessarily players in high need areas: see the Kazmir, Garza and Bartlett trades.

Sections
Shortcuts