Rays pickup Yunel Escobar's option

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Rays pickup Yunel Escobar's option

This does affect the Sox.

This now leaves the SS market to be basically Stephen Drew and Jhonny Peralta.  And when you consider than Peralta is coming off a PED suspension (though with a good post-season) and, well, not much of a SS and really better suited to 3B, the teams in the SS hunt figure to be targeting Drew more heavily...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Rays pickup Yunel Escobar's option

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This now leaves the SS market to be basically Stephen Drew and Jhonny Peralta.  And when you consider than Peralta is coming off a PED suspension (though with a good post-season) and, well, not much of a SS and really better suited to 3B, the teams in the SS hunt figure to be targeting Drew more heavily...

[/QUOTE]

My gut tells me the sox sign the guy...Escobar was never coming to market anyways...so the landscape hasn't changed that much...Drew will get a market value deal (4 years?)...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My gut tells me the sox sign the guy...Escobar was never coming to market anyways...so the landscape hasn't changed that much...Drew will get a market value deal (4 years?)...

[/QUOTE]

But there is no way we give him 4 years with Bogaerts already here, and Marrero looking over the horizon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But there is no way we give him 4 years with Bogaerts already here, and Marrero looking over the horizon.

[/QUOTE]

after watching boggy in the playoffs I'm not convinced he is the SS of the future...no disrespect intended...we'll soon find out...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

after watching boggy in the playoffs I'm not convinced he is the SS of the future...no disrespect intended...we'll soon find out...

[/QUOTE]

Pretty small sample size, especially when you consider the kid just turned 21.  He obviously should improve.  I agree that Drew is a good fit, but I don't see the Sox going 4 years for him, and it looks like it will take at least that at this point.  

As Joe mentioned with Marrero, they have some SS depth in the Minors and they may want to use that money elsewhere.  I wouldn't say that there is "no way" that Drew comes back, but he will have plenty of suitors and I just don't see the Sox being one of them.  We shall see.  My guess is that Drew ends up with Dodgers and Hanley Ramirez is moved to 3rd.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was not sure if the Rayd would pick up his option.  This is the Rays we are talking about.

Edcobar was clearly a top two SS in free agency, along with Drew...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bogey is not a plus fielding SS right now. He can probably become a plus fielding 3Bman much quicker. I never thought I'd be leaning towards wanting Drew back, but to me the plan of moving Bogey to 3B makes the most sense.

We can deal with Marrero when the time comes, which could be 3-4 years away anyways.

I'm not sure that moving Bogey to 3B means we should sell Middy low. Middy can play 1B, or we can work out a way for him to get PAs at 3B, 1B and some more when Bogey fills in for Drew at SS and Napoli fills in for Papi at DH.

(Essentially 5 guys at 4 positions, which could squeeze our Carp who would be a sell high player.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rays are bringing DeJesus back for 2 years.

Sections
Shortcuts