Rays show a touch of class

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Rays show a touch of class

Rays outfielder Johnny Damon wanted to do something special for his former teammate, Derek Jeter. And Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon realized it, so after a respectful pause to allow the Yankees to celebrate the delirium of Jeter's 3,000th hit yesterday, the skipper asked Damon to lead the Rays in a round of applause.

"I thank Joe because I was being asked how was I going to do it," said Damon, who had nothing but praise and respect -- OK, maybe a little bit of begrudging competitiveness -- for Jeter after a 5-for-5 day that included hit No. 3,000, a long drive into the left-field bleachers. "When he hit the home run, first you're upset they just tied the game, but the type of person Derek is, you're very excited for him. Everybody in this clubhouse respects Derek Jeter and it was great seeing our team applaud him.

"I even told him before the game how proud I was for him. I don't think anyone envisioned a 5-for-5 game and driving in the game-winner. But that's what he did."

Rays first baseman Casey Kotchman said he wanted to shake Jeter's hand at first on the 3,000th hit. But Kotchman anticipated a "typical" Jeter hit, maybe a single to right. So as Jeter circled the bases after delivering a third-inning shot -- "There's not a park in the league that's going to hold that ball," pitcher David Price admitted -- Kotchman simply tipped his cap.

"That's what makes him Derek Jeter," Kotchman said.

For Matt Joyce, another Rays All-Star, it was the second time he was in a ballpark for a 3,000th hit. He saw Wade Boggs homer for his No. 3,000 at Tampa Bay. Ironically, only Boggs and Jeter delivered homers as hit No. 3,000 among the 28 guys who have reached the lofty plateau.

"That's pretty amazing. I've got to be one of the very few [who saw both]," Joyce said. "But today was really his day. That [5-for-5] was pretty amazing. I think the whole state of New York felt it for him today. If you couldn't hear them cheering his name, you must be deaf."

And despite the loss, the Rays appreciated the history involved, most of all Damon, having played with Jeter for four seasons in The Bronx, including the championship season of 2009.

"It doesn't surprise me at all," Damon said. "Everything he's accomplished in the game is amazing, and the fact that he just keeps plugging away and keeps doing things that keep amazing us. I was very fortunate to be his teammate for four years and been very fortunate to play against him for 17 years.

"It was a great moment for Derek and his family and for the history of the Yankee franchise. Obviously, we wanted a different hit and not that good of a game from him, but Derek stands for the good stuff in baseball. I'm proud of him."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Rays show a touch of class

Ridiculous. I don't even like Johnny Damon (anymore), but anyone could see that he was out there before the "supposed" go ahead by Madden to congratulate Derek Jeter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class:
    [QUOTE]Ridiculous. I don't even like Johnny Damon (anymore), but anyone could see that he was out there before the "supposed" go ahead by Madden to congratulate Derek Jeter.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

It helps that they were teammates that liked each other; the RS said nice things about him yesterday as well; Francona would (Like Torre, a good guy), but I was surprised by the accolades from Varitek & Papelbon; (Pap was taken aback by the length of the homer); classy tributes. They were impressed by the way he did it; nobody ever went 5 for 5 in the new YS before (and that's 2 1/2 yrs worth of games); typical Jeter.

I expect Damon (barring injuries) to get to 3K hits as well; and if/when he does, and counting his exploits in the PS; this shall be his punched in ticket to Cooperstown.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Damon can wear his Yankee hat to the HOF all he wants... bye bye Johnny.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : You are a f#ckin idiot. Like it wasn't discussed between maddon and damon prior.  It's a shame that you can't enjoy baseball because of your hatred pike.
    Posted by --The--Babe----[/QUOTE]

Have you ever even spoken to a female? Unless you think pike can emulate estrogen infused commentary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE] but I was surprised by the accolades from Varitek & Papelbon; (Pap was taken aback by the length of the homer); classy tributes. Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Why would you be surprised by Red Sox players giving Jeter accolades for his accomplishment, especially Varitek.  I would expect nothing less from them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : Why would you be surprised by Red Sox players giving Jeter accolades for his accomplishment, especially Varitek.  I would expect nothing less from them. 
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

OK, I was wrong. I guess I'm confusing some of the moronic & hostile posters here with professional athletes who have an appreciation for a competitor. Another demerit for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : Have you ever even spoken to a female? Unless you think pike can emulate estrogen infused commentary.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Yes, all the time. Sadly, kim...err...I mean pike...is not a female.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : Yes, all the time. Sadly, kim...err...I mean pike...is not a female.

You felt the need to answer that question?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

I expect the rays to win today while yanks ahv jeter hangover blues

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : You felt the need to answer that question?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Well....you felt the need to ask it.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : And you know this because your sister works in real estate in the tampa area?

Babe, why are you still here?  Don't you live by the beach? lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : Why would you be surprised by Red Sox players giving Jeter accolades for his accomplishment, especially Varitek.  I would expect nothing less from them. 
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Despite the venom between the fans of the Red Sox and Yanks respect each other and many of them are even friends.  Gosh, what a disappoinitment, lol.  Does anyone remember Joe Torre and the entire Yankee team on the top step out of the dugout appaulding Ellis Burks last at bat at Fenway Park?! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : Babe, why are you still here?  Don't you live by the beach? lol
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Because it's disgustingly hot and humid out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I expect the rays to win today while yanks ahv jeter hangover blues
    Posted by small-package[/QUOTE]

And, you expected wrong; since you don't seem very good in the prediction business; here's guessing your prediction for the yankees falling this summer may be suspect as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : Because it's disgustingly hot and humid out.

Is it disgustingly hot and humid every day?  And who really feels humidity on the beach?  If you're that hot, just go in the water. Seems like an easy solution to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rays show a touch of class : Once again you show how stupid you are. There is humidity on the beach and the water is as warm as a bath tub down here, wouldn't cool you off.

Babe, you say you live on the beach, and yet you'd rather be here talking to Sox fans whom you've said you don't even care what they think. Do you even listen to yourself? You could be laying on the sand, swimming in the ocean just relaxing and having a good time, and instead, you're on a computer in your home talking to me (the supposed enormous house frau). Isn't something wrong with this picture?

Sections
Shortcuts