RBI's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

RBI's

I was thinking about this wonderful Red Sox team and how we seem to have a different guy come through every night and the fact that we lead baseball in Runs scored  and yet we do not have a player yet with 100 RBI's so I did some checking. When Johnny Gomes gets his next RBI it will be # 50 which will give us 9 guys with at least 50 RBIS....there are 4 teams , Atl, Pit, STL and Tex who come closest to that with 7 guys a piece, and we have  Middlebrooks with 42 and Mike Carp with 39 in 307 and 193 AB's respectively.....that is just unbelievable depth and a testament to the great job the front office did and John Farrell has done in keeping each guy involved this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: RBI's

In response to tomnev's comment:

I was thinking about this wonderful Red Sox team and how we seem to have a different guy come through every night and the fact that we lead baseball in Runs scored  and yet we do not have a player yet with 100 RBI's so I did some checking. When Johnny Gomes gets his next RBI it will be # 50 which will give us 9 guys with at least 50 RBIS....there are 4 teams , Atl, Pit, STL and Tex who come closest to that with 7 guys a piece, and we have  Middlebrooks with 42 and Mike Carp with 39 in 307 and 193 AB's respectively.....that is just unbelievable depth and a testament to the great job the front office did and John Farrell has done in keeping each guy involved this season.

I agree and concur that Cherington and Farrel deserve a lot of credit for the success of this years team. Cherington as the architect who by all accounts I've read was the driver in recruiting and signing Farrel, used the same blueprint in building this club that was used to deliver the championship squad of 2004. Strong pitching with a five deep roation supported by a deep bullpen and lineup with professional hitters 1-9 that embrace the organizational phylosophy of working the count and making the opposing starting pitcher work to navigate the lineup...

To that end, credit must also go to the ownership group who recognized that they strayed from the disciplines and the organizational phylosophies that bared fruit after buying the team. John Henry, Larry Luccino and Micheal Werner recognized they themselves were at the heart of the disfuction that caused the collapse of 2011 and the drama that was this team for the better part of three season. A process that began in the winter of 2006 and ended with the resignations of Epstein and Francona and the subsequent purge of the big league roster led thecway to empower Cherington to remake the team and surround himself with like thinking field managers and players. IMHO it took courage and humility by the owners to admit that the team and the organization had indeed gone down the wrong path. While I get that winning cures all ills, perhaps the most refreshing development aside from the teams current standing is the unity and one voice emanating from Yawkey way...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's RBI NOT RBI's

The "Run" part is already plural

It's RUNS BATTED IN

NOT Runs Batted Ins

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

It's RBI NOT RBI's

It's RUNS BATTED IN

NOT Runs Batted Ins

False, RBI is an acronym.  If a guy has one RBI then wouldn't runs batted in still be false? or is it a run batted in?  the correct term for the plural of RBI is RBI's '

Whether or not the spelled out word is plural or singular and acronym becomes it's own word so attaching a 's at the end of the acronym is proper grammer for using the definition in the plural sense.

Runs batted in = RBI's

Run batted in = a RBI. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hey david Ortiz had like 5 RBI last night....see it's doesn't sound right. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

It's RBI NOT RBI's

It's RUNS BATTED IN

NOT Runs Batted Ins

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

It's RBI NOT RBI's

It's RUNS BATTED IN

NOT Runs Batted Ins

False, RBI is an acronym.  If a guy has one RBI then wouldn't runs batted in still be false? or is it a run batted in?  the correct term for the plural of RBI is RBI's '

Whether or not the spelled out word is plural or singular and acronym becomes it's own word so attaching a 's at the end of the acronym is proper grammer for using the definition in the plural sense.

Runs batted in = RBI's

Run batted in = a RBI. 

You're right except at the end. You don't need the apostrophe. It's RBIs. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

It's RBI NOT RBI's

It's RUNS BATTED IN

NOT Runs Batted Ins

Next time you try to correct grammar.....make sure you're correct.

AS for the actual topic of the thread.  I didn't really think of the fact that they have so many players with 50+ RBI's. That's a great stat in its own regard!  Such a solid and balanced team.  I hope the clutch RBI's continue through the playoffs and there is not just 1 RBI per game.....that would not be good!!  Now pick it up WMB....let's get some more RBI's so you too can join the club!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ask anyone who really knows the game

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

OK.......so not you......thanks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

It's RBI NOT RBI's

It's RUNS BATTED IN

NOT Runs Batted Ins

Runs batted in = RBI's

Run batted in = a RBI. 

You're right except at the end. You don't need the apostrophe. It's RBIs. 

I stand corrected.  The correct terminology is RBI and RBIs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sure, it's RUNS BATTED INS.....got ya

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Avoid the abbreviation protocols by call these things ribbies--or one ribby. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

1.  how many rbi did Papi have last night?

2.  how many rbis did Papi have last night?

3.  how many rbi's did Papi have last night?

a) he had a 3 rbi game

b) he had a 3 rbis game

c) he had a 3 rbi's game

i think everyone in this thread is correct depending on the sentence/use.

RBI = Runs Batted In

the plural is in the name but an "s" is added to the end all the time.  just the way it goes with acronyms.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Really....why don't YOU ask someone who knows the game. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hey guys how many RBI do you think David Ortiz will have tonight? I think he will have many RBI like 1,000 RBI.  What is the record for the most RBI ever? I certainly do wish that someone has a lot of RBI tonight 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I have seen and heard it both ways enough.times that no matter if you sa "110 RBIs" or "110 RBI", I will know what you mean...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I have seen and heard it both ways enough.times that no matter if you sa "110 RBIs" or "110 RBI", I will know what you mean...

It can be used both ways.

RBI's is most common.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

This team reminds me of the Celtics team of old in the days of Bill Russel. It wasn't an unusual game when the team would have 6-7 players in double figures. Yeah, Auerbach was a genius at picking up player at the end of thier careers or past thier prime days, supposedly and they became bench or role players with the Celts. Don Nelson was a perfect example. No ego involved like the Red Sox this year. Great to see after the trials and tribulations of the past few years. 

Hetch

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sure, it's RUNS BATTED INS.....got ya

RBIs = runs batted in

RBI = run batted in

Notice how we add the s to the word run and not in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Hey guys how many RBI do you think David Ortiz will have tonight? I think he will have many RBI like 1,000 RBI.  What is the record for the most RBI ever? I certainly do wish that someone has a lot of RBI tonight 

Hank Aaron with 2297 for a career and Hack Wilson for a season with 191 which is pretty amazing in 155 games with 208 hits, 56hrs, 146runs, .356avg, with an unreal .454obp. Pretty amazing stats. Hard to believe that Ted Williams had a lifetime .480obp. 

Hetch

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

The misuse of RBI doesn't bug me as much as when people say 50 "miles AN hour" as opposed to 50 "miles PER hour".

Sections
Shortcuts