re: " don't complain, we're in first place"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

re: " don't complain, we're in first place"

my thoughts on this saying that gets made infinite times on this list

re: " don't complain, we're in first place".

is that we're just talking baseball here on a baseball thread about...........
     baseball.
    talking baseball is allowed.
    it's also great to appreciate things and remind people who may lose that fact.
    however, there is probably more "complaining" by people making accusations of "complaining" than the initial baseball comments made by posters (yes, apparently there are a few exceptions :)

lighten up. we all do this for fun.
    let's talk baseball, agree, disagree, learn from other's thoughts, share highs and lows.
        attacks are no fun; just boring, tedious, unpleasant and display a lack of peace within. it's more fun to talk about..........
    baseball.

thought shared.
    thanks for reading,

peace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: re: " don't complain, we're in first place"

In Response to re: " don't complain, we're in first place":
    [QUOTE]my thoughts on this saying that gets made infinite times on this list re: " don't complain, we're in first place". is that we're just talking baseball here on a baseball thread about...........  baseball. talking baseball is allowed. it's also great to appreciate things and remind people who may lose that fact. however, there is probably more "complaining" by people making accusations of "complaining" than the initial baseball comments made by posters (yes, apparently there are a few exceptions :) lighten up. we all do this for fun. let's talk baseball, agree, disagree, learn from other's thoughts, share highs and lows.     attacks are no fun; just boring, tedious, unpleasant and display a lack of peace within. it's more fun to talk about.......... baseball. thought shared. thanks for reading, peace
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

I've never seen that comment made anywhere nevermind "infinite times". Thanks for at least showing us that defending negative comments was worth a thread. I'm just trying to remember who makes up comments that were never made...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

hi kim thanks for your reply.
    i'm not sure what your reference to who makes up comments means, but i read that comment at least 3 times today and seems like everyday. it's not always about first place as it was today, but of the ilk, look how good we are, why are you "complaining" (when the original poster may be making a baseball observation or giving an opinion). and obviously i'm not talking about a couple people here who make a profession out of complaining about our team (you know who the one or 2 are i'm sure). though i think the best way to deal with that is to just ignore them. i imagine in a while they would get bored if people didnt get baited.

i noticed you didnt comment on my suggestion of talking baseball, agreeing or disagreeing, learning from other's thoughts, sharing our highs and lows with each other; instead of the common attacking and or telling people not to give their opinions and accusing them of "complaining".

i enjoyed your comments on the game.

cheers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm with Kim.  I don't see that comment that often. 

But I also kind of agree with it.  Surely the complainers can caveat their negativity by occasionally saying, "well I know the Sox overall are playing good ball and winning games, but . . ."

More often, however, it's "Francona is an idiot.  20 guys on this thread alone could manage this team better than he does."   Or, "Theo is clueless and never gets the right players." 

I've been rooting off and on for the Sox since 1949 and had an uncle who did so even longer and more intently, and he died, age 90 or so, before the 2004 WS. When he was my age, I thought he was nuts, but now I'm even nuttier than he was.   

So my perspective is that right now is the best time in Red Sox history to be a Sox fan.  The GM isn't a genius, but he is the focal point of an awful lot of good baseball decisions to keep this team competitive.  And the manager, now in his 8th year, is just about perfect for this team. 

Since John Henry took over, the Sox have gone nose to nose with the best and probably the wealthiest sports franchise in North America and more than held their own.  The complainers would do well to occasionally keep that in mind. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]my thoughts on this saying that gets made infinite times on this list re: " don't complain, we're in first place". is that we're just talking baseball here on a baseball thread about...........  baseball. talking baseball is allowed. it's also great to appreciate things and remind people who may lose that fact. however, there is probably more "complaining" by people making accusations of "complaining" than the initial baseball comments made by posters (yes, apparently there are a few exceptions :) lighten up. we all do this for fun. let's talk baseball, agree, disagree, learn from other's thoughts, share highs and lows.     attacks are no fun; just boring, tedious, unpleasant and display a lack of peace within. it's more fun to talk about.......... baseball. thought shared. thanks for reading, peace

There is nothing wrong with giving your honest opinion on a situation or player if it has merit.  Making up excuses for things to make them appear differently is much worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I don't think the comment is usually "Don't complain we are in first place".  It is usually "COMA and or theoblunder lost us the game/season".  Obviously the only logical thing to say in response to that is "how bad can our manager/gm be if in fact the Red Sox are in fisrt place.".

It's all about extremes.  Talking baseball is about nuances. There are all sorts of good baseball threads on here. But if someone is going to be a stooge and say things Like "Coma and inepstien" some one else is going to come back and say "stop complaining the sox are winning".  It's just the way things go

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

BrdBreu,  are you responding to the flak that was given to a poster whose only reaction to several great Sox wins over their arch rival was to start a thread harping on the fact that Varitek swung at a 3-0 pitch. That type of a thread may have been the straw that broke the camel's back to some of the regulars here. It seems that a majority of threads and many posts are negative and pessimistic on this forum. I can't figure out if such behavior is staged or sincere but it does get tiring and annoying. It seems to me that I see only a few comments on a great throw by Reddick or a better arm by Salty on runners trying to steal second but presto an advalanche of comments on Scutaro missing a sign for a suicide squeeze as a baserunner. Perhaps there is an unwritten pledge one takes upon arriving here that any comment that is at all close to cheerleading is verboten   but incessant criticism and pessimism about the team or individual players or manager is encouraged.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHOS COMPLAINING ????  GO SOX, THEO & TITO TOO !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Speaking for only myself here ...

There are certain posters here who only (and I mean ONLY) show up when the Sox are losing so they can complain. Sunday night was a classic example: After the Yankees took a 2-1 lead and Tek had his inexplicable brain cramp on the 3-0 pitch, the game thread was filled with the gloom-and-doomers. Coma's an idiot, the season's over, etc.

But when the Sox rallied, where were they? Nowhere, because they had nothing to complain about. It's like the old Garbage song ... "I'm only happy when it rains, I'm only happy when the news is bad."

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Absolutely, Bobby ... and for some reason, KC seems to give us trouble.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: re: " don't complain, we're in first place":
    [QUOTE]I'm with Kim.  I don't see that comment that often.  But I also kind of agree with it.  Surely the complainers can caveat their negativity by occasionally saying, "well I know the Sox overall are playing good ball and winning games, but . . ." More often, however, it's "Francona is an idiot.  20 guys on this thread alone could manage this team better than he does."   Or, "Theo is clueless and never gets the right players."  I've been rooting off and on for the Sox since 1949 and had an uncle who did so even longer and more intently, and he died, age 90 or so, before the 2004 WS. When he was my age, I thought he was nuts, but now I'm even nuttier than he was.    So my perspective is that right now is the best time in Red Sox history to be a Sox fan.  The GM isn't a genius, but he is the focal point of an awful lot of good baseball decisions to keep this team competitive.  And the manager, now in his 8th year, is just about perfect for this team.  Since John Henry took over, the Sox have gone nose to nose with the best and probably the wealthiest sports franchise in North America and more than held their own.  The complainers would do well to occasionally keep that in mind. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Max,

You've got me by about a dozen years as a Sox fan.  Not much I can do about that ... since I wasn't even a glimmer in pop's eye until somewhere in '55....
      (Dad did make it to the '04 and '07 WSCs!!!  He was 92 when he passed on...)

But your assessment in the bold print is dead on as far as I'm concerned. 

Again, it isn't that everyone should alweays agree.  It isn't that we all drink Cokes on a mountainside and "would like to teach the world to sing...."  My best friend growing up was a rabid Sox fan - like me.  Or I like him ... he was smarter and better informed in these things.  But he was also a crazy Sixer fan  (Because his family came form PA).  So we agreed on the most important things ... but not all.

The typewritten equivalent to a spit in the eye is what I do oppose, especially when it is at one of the Sox.  Disagree, please.... But don't assassinate one or one's character

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: re: " don't complain, we're in first place":
    [QUOTE]I'm with Kim.  I don't see that comment that often.  But I also kind of agree with it.  Surely the complainers can caveat their negativity by occasionally saying, "well I know the Sox overall are playing good ball and winning games, but . . ." More often, however, it's "Francona is an idiot.  20 guys on this thread alone could manage this team better than he does."   Or, "Theo is clueless and never gets the right players."  I've been rooting off and on for the Sox since 1949 and had an uncle who did so even longer and more intently, and he died, age 90 or so, before the 2004 WS. When he was my age, I thought he was nuts, but now I'm even nuttier than he was.    So my perspective is that right now is the best time in Red Sox history to be a Sox fan.  The GM isn't a genius, but he is the focal point of an awful lot of good baseball decisions to keep this team competitive.  And the manager, now in his 8th year, is just about perfect for this team.  Since John Henry took over, the Sox have gone nose to nose with the best and probably the wealthiest sports franchise in North America and more than held their own.  The complainers would do well to occasionally keep that in mind. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

always good to point out what we have to be greatful for. some people may always see or speak the negatives. just the same, i dont think there is anything wrong with talking thoughts and ideas of how a play could be improved, alternative calls that can be made during a game, thoughts of player pickups, good call her, bad call there, etc, etc, etc. all conversations baseball. fan forums will always be a place for second guessing. suggestions and appreciations and yes! room for much more joint appreciatioon and celebration and of our team and its successes. we will always need the people who see the glass 3/4 full. (very few people spend their day counting their appreciations. if they did, there would be a lot more happpier people around).

maybe i  ignore daily sour grapes from the same people easily. it is more challenging for me to read from many people i would WANT to hear from saying "dont complain". but, hey i can live with that too, i just think they might enjoy themselves more to talk about what they want to talk about.

i hear you max, i have been around to see the bad and the good, and these days we have an embarrassment of riches in great games and great fun players to enjoy.

Thanks for the all the comments all.

peace

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response; to re: " don't complain, we're in first place":