Re: Have you guys seen this Globe Posting with 42 photos...Catching up with old Red Sox friends

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Have you guys seen this Globe Posting with 42 photos...Catching up with old Red Sox friends

Moot point I know but on a slow day on the forum I find it some fun…Whom would I have liked to have kept and a lot of it is Monday morning quarterbacking I realize based on their performances. 

In my top 10 would be: Beltre, A. Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, Victor Martinez, Jed Lowrie, Josh Reddick, Marco Scutaro, James Loney, Justin Masterson & Bronson Aroyo. Ok…top 11…Coco Crisp.

Guys I was really happy to see leave….C. Crawford, J. Beckett, Matsuzaka, Paplebon

Yup, I liked Ellsbury but too expensive and Youk too but injured and I liked Damon too but he really didn’t want to stay. Amazing that Drew turned down $14 mil but it was for 1 year & he wants a longer deal.  Still a free agent & I don’t know who will pay him more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Re: Have you guys seen this Globe Posting with 42 photos...Catching up with old Red Sox friends

…Whom would I have liked to have kept and a lot of it is Monday morning quarterbacking I realize based on their performances. 

In my top 10 would be: Beltre, A. Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, Victor Martinez, Jed Lowrie, Josh Reddick, Marco Scutaro, James Loney, Justin Masterson & Bronson Aroyo. Ok…top 11…Coco Crisp.

First off, good thread. A couple of thoughts:

**It's tempting to imagine an alternate history where we re-sign Beltre and never do the A-Gon trade, thus keeping Rizzo (future 1B once Youk declined). But in the end we got Bradley and Swihart as comp picks for Beltre and Webster and De La Rosa from the A-Gon trade...and considering A-Gon allowed us to shed the Crawford (permit me a moment to shudder at the thought of still being stuck with that) and Beckett contracts, I think the Sox wind up decidedly on the plus end of that whole series of events.

**On the other hand, the Lowrie-for-Melancon deal looks like a big mistake in hindsight, and one that is underdiscussed around here, somewhat surprisingly. We got one bad year out of Melancon, then traded him for Hanrahan, who promptly broke down while Melancon went on to have a great season. All the while, Lowrie was becoming one of the better SS in the league over the last couple of years. That entire sequence of events was not Ben's finest hour as GM so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Re: Have you guys seen this Globe Posting with 42 photos...Catching up with old Red Sox friends

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moot point I know but on a slow day on the forum I find it some fun…Whom would I have liked to have kept and a lot of it is Monday morning quarterbacking I realize based on their performances. 

Guys I was really happy to see leave….C. Crawford, J. Beckett, Matsuzaka, Paplebon

Yup, I liked Ellsbury but too expensive and Youk too but injured and I liked Damon too but he really didn’t want to stay. Amazing that Drew turned down $14 mil but it was for 1 year & he wants a longer deal.  Still a free agent & I don’t know who will pay him more.

[/QUOTE]

What would you do with four shortstops?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

AB....message from S5 down in the fort...Hes been trying to find you at the North Naples CC. He is there late afternoons, except on game days, and will be there Monday, Opening Day to watch the game Keep a look out!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to antibody's comment:

AB....message from S5 down in the fort...Hes been trying to find you at the North Naples CC. He is there late afternoons, except on game days, and will be there Monday, Opening Day to watch the game Keep a look out!!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks again, J-BAY!