Reading "Faithful"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Reading "Faithful"

I just picked it up last week at a used book store.  Many of you know it well.

The back cover says "October 27, 2004" ... the picture is a mass of humanity piling all over each other in a joy that can only be exceeded by life long Sox fans ... the front cover has Tek shoving his gloved hand into A-Rod's face ... and I've just begun the pleasant journey in print.

I know some may say it was so long ago, but I beg to differ.  1918 was long ago - Dad was 1 and the first World War had not ended.  1962 was long ago.  I first became a baseball and Red Sox fan then. 

2004 was a delicious slice of the last few - ok, 8 - years, but what a marvelous trip down memory lane. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Reading

1967 was a while ago too. That's when I became a Red Sox and professional baseball fan. I still love that team. Yaz, Reggie Smith, Boomer, Jim Lonborg, Rico Petrocelli, hell I even still have fond memories of Elston Howard and Jerry Adair.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

I have fond memories of Babe Ruth pitching for the world champion Red Sox. I have more vivid memories of 1967 and Rico, who would later try to pull every pitch and strike out in what seemed to be every PA.

Hater. I mean seriously, how can you hate Rico Petrocelli?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Rico was my 2nd favorite player ...   gritty, funny, had pull power - had 40 HRs one year and almost 100 in a 3 year span ... felt like he'd be a great pal to have in a scrap.

Dunno what Softy means about whiffing all the time ... he only passed the 100 mark 1 time.  Typical horse manure from Softy. 

'67 was the best year for a long time, Carnie, I agree. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Rico was my 2nd favorite player ...   gritty, funny, had pull power - had 40 HRs one year and almost 100 in a 3 year span ... felt like he'd be a great pal to have in a scrap.

Dunno what Softy means about whiffing all the time ... he only passed the 100 mark 1 time.  Typical horse manure from Softy. 

Best ever I reckon. Not to sell 2004 short or anything... So who is your favorite?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I have fond memories of Babe Ruth pitching for the world champion Red Sox. I have more vivid memories of 1967 and Rico, who would later try to pull every pitch and strike out in what seemed to be every PA.

He only had 93 K's that year and passed 100 only once.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Best ever I reckon. Not to sell 2004 short or anything... So who is your favorite?

'67 thrilled the 11 year old that I was, '04 thrilled the kid I've always been.  Your question of favorite is rhetorical, isn[t it?  LOL!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hiya Southpaw     You are correct.  One year he even walked more than whiffed.  He never was Brooks Robinson in the field, but then, who else was?  Loved the guy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hiya Southpaw     You are correct.  One year he even walked more than whiffed.  He never was Brooks Robinson in the field, but then, who else was?  Loved the guy. 

Hey Yaz. Hope youand yours have a very merry and safe Christmas.

Not sure if softy can get through one paragraph without bashing someone on the Sox. Even Petrocelli. Rico was just before my time as I became a fan in the mid 70's, but to hear my dad and family members tell stories was almost as good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

67 was a great year but how can you forget Dave Hendersons shot in 86?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to az55's comment:

That was a grewat moment as well az.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to az55's comment:

forgetting other great moments, Fisk's shot, the stolen base that shocked the world ... just enjoying "Faitfhul"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Excuse my ignorance, but 'Faithful' is a book about the '67 Sox?

Recently, I read a great Sox book called 'The Teammates'....about Williams, Pesky, DiMaggio, Doerr.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Recently, I read a great Sox book called 'The Teammates'....about Williams, Pesky, DiMaggio, Doerr.

A good read. Another good Sox book is a "Tale of Two Cities" by T. Massarotti.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:

BS

Not necessarily. His age might explain the senility.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Rhetoric speaking, friend?  :o)

No, the book is a game by game sharing of each game of 2004 ... not a retelling from memory but a purposed, planned reporting of each game as the season unfolded.

My original reference to legnth of time was a berm against those who might have said '04 was a long time ago, a weary comment some make.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Hey Yaz...Sounds like a great book for RSN....Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to you and yours from Teilhardian and family....Have not spoken to you in some time...Take care and God bless...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

Hey Yaz...Sounds like a great book for RSN....Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to you and yours from Teilhardian and family....Have not spoken to you in some time...Take care and God bless...

:o)   Hi Teilharden.   Thank you and hope your (& family) Christmas was blessed also! 

Last couple weekensd and this holiday time was the first time I've had time to spend here on the forum.  I've been busy ... but also at a loss for thought or words for the condition of the Sox and the hot stove season.  Such a weak FA field and so many needs, eh?

The book is a good read.  I suppose when you know the outcome and like it, ...

Was reading about the Hanrahan trade yesterday on Yahoo, and while the poor Pirates fans were expressing more of the same - selling an all-star for chips and such - there was one morose NYY fan who said something along the lines of at least the Sox are trying, but his Yanquis weren't doing anything and would pay for it .... Tough times for us rivalry-mates, hehe.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

My memories were of Gibson virtually unhittable to everyone except Yaz.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

My memories were of Gibson virtually unhittable to everyone except Yaz.

Ali ... Gibby had a WHIP of .704 against the Sox that WS ... incredible.  I knew his ERA - the old standard - was 1.00.  But a WHIP of only 0.704?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

1967 was a while ago too. That's when I became a Red Sox and professional baseball fan. I still love that team. Yaz, Reggie Smith, Boomer, Jim Lonborg, Rico Petrocelli, hell I even still have fond memories of Elston Howard and Jerry Adair.

Let's not forget Mike Andrews at 2nd and Hawk Harrelson in right. Still remember the throw that Jose Santiago made from right field. The team of 1975 with fisk, Lynn, Rice and Evans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Game #157 in 1990.  

Red Sox and Blue Jays were tired for first place.

Kelly Gruber's TWO throwing errors cost Toronto the game.  

Boston went on to win the AL East...........until they faced a steroids-packed Oakland A's team.  

Sections
Shortcuts