Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season

This is freaking unreal.

Throw Lackey on the scrap heap of Theo Epstein player personnel moves as Red Sox GM.

Matt Clement comes to mind. And he did better here than Lackey!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

Re: Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season

What a mess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not.  annoying. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Cafardo predicted about ten days ago that Lackey would need TJ surgery. This might save the Sox $$$ depending on the details of the contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

Know what would have saved the Red Sox PLENTY of money on John Lackey?

Firing Theo Epstein after the 2005 season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Surprised that Cafardo got the scoop before Gammons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Lackey's going to be out all year? Finally some good news! I'm not kidding either. There's some talk that he may have been a poor influence on Beckett and Lester. Now he's not going to be around them. That's good news. More good news is that now they're going to go into the off season and next season fully aware that they're going to get nothing from Lackey, rather than having no choice but to hope they get something from him and then getting nothing. He's out for the year, they need a starter to replace him, and I can't imagine how they could possibly do worse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

Speaking of poor, if the Red Sox are stuck with Crawford's salary (thanks again Theo) for 2012 we have no shot at any of the big offseason moves for players the Sox have to have next year.

Oh well, all of us will just sit by watching Texas, Detroit and Tampa Bay wheeling and dealing and passing the Sox by.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Re: Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season:
    Lackey's going to be out all year? Finally some good news! I'm not kidding either. There's some talk that he may have been a poor influence on Beckett and Lester. Now he's not going to be around them. That's good news. More good news is that now they're going to go into the off season and next season fully aware that they're going to get nothing from Lackey, rather than having no choice but to hope they get something from him and then getting nothing. He's out for the year, they need a starter to replace him, and I can't imagine how they could possibly do worse.
    Posted by Modano09

See the Lackey thread on what the contract implications are. Good stuff there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

In Response to Re: Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season:
    Posted by Modano09

I knew the Red Sox weren't getting anything from Lackey last offseason before Theo made the deal. I distinctly recall calling Lackey the worst of the best avail FA pitchers out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/
    Go bother them now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Re: Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season : See the Lackey thread on what the contract implications are. Good stuff there.
    Posted by Rutland76

Better to read the Lackey thread unless you enjoy being baited by a troll.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

In Response to Re: Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season : Better to read the Lackey thread unless you enjoy being baited by a troll.
    Posted by Rutland76

Even better to heed the warnings from a concern troll?

*laughter*

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Now we can just forget trading him.  Well, now we can cross off one line from the 10 things to do for the winter meeting.

So sound alike Boston may have to go hard on pitchings.  How will they do it? The new GM will make it happen!!!

Now will Youkilis be trade??  More likely for a starting pitcher!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

In Response to Re: Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season : I knew the Red Sox weren't getting anything from Lackey last offseason before Theo made the deal. I distinctly recall calling Lackey the worst of the best avail FA pitchers out there.
    Posted by OurMan

I didn't like the Lackey signing from the start either. At best he could be solid, but he tended to not win the important games, and his numbers weren't impressive. He's not a clear cut ace and he shouldn't have been paid like one. His claim to fame is that be "battles", which is a nicer way to say "struggles" through the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I am very glad I won't have to see him pitch in 2012 or hopefully ever again for the Red Sox.

Geez, he lucks out hugely here, things will settle down around here and all the while he'll be drinking beer down in Texas "recovering" AND making full boat on his salary.

When and if he comes back, I so hope he has to make the team first and be a middle reliever to prove himself before he ever gets a start. I just so wish he could have been simply unconditionally released.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Speaking of poor, if the Red Sox are stuck with Crawford's salary (thanks again Theo) for 2012 we have no shot at any of the big offseason moves for players the Sox have to have next year. Oh well, all of us will just sit by watching Texas, Detroit and Tampa Bay wheeling and dealing and passing the Sox by.
    Posted by OurMan

Sure wheel and deal...We signed Crawford and guys like you and 90% on here were pissing in their pants with joy.....What next for you know nothings?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

I am very glad I won't have to see him pitch in 2012 or hopefully ever again for the Red Sox. Geez, he lucks out hugely here, things will settle down around here and all the while he'll be drinking beer down in Texas "recovering" AND making full boat on his salary. When and if he comes back, I so hope he has to make the team first and be a middle reliever to prove himself before he ever gets a start. I just so wish he could have been simply unconditionally released.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Theo Epstein tied John Lackey and his salary to the Red Sox like a ton of dead weight.  Yet another parting gift from the Boy Blunder.

Could have had Roy Halladay 2 years ago if Theo had just unloaded Buchholz and we wouldn't even be discussing John Lackey, we'd be watching the Red Sox in the World Series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Cafardo predicted about ten days ago that Lackey would need TJ surgery. This might save the Sox $$$ depending on the details of the contract.
    Posted by Rutland76

Sox will get another year for free. Sox will benefit. Forum chronic whiners will suffer next year since they'll have one less player to whine about. No more Drew, Tito, Theo, and Lackey. All of the whining will be focussed on Crawford who will rebound. Bad year coming for the whiners.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Tell em why your mad softy!!!!

The good news folks is this does free up some luxury tax space,2.5-3 million off the top of my head.  Most pitchers come back strong from Tommy John surgery too, maybe Lackey will come back with an actual fastball and be a decent pitcher for a year or two with us.

Regardless, considering how he pitched last year, the team is better with him out of the rotation...for now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

Tell em why your mad softy!!!! The good news folks is this does free up some luxury tax space,2.5-3 million off the top of my head.  Most pitchers come back strong from Tommy John surgery too, maybe Lackey will come back with an actual fastball and be a decent pitcher for a year or two with us. Regardless, considering how he pitched last year, the team is better with him out of the rotation...for now. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Maybe Lackey will come back with an actual fastball?
    Heck, maybe Jason Varitek will win the triple crown!

How about a season of Red Sox baseball built on something other than maybe?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Re: Real Reason Theo Epstein Left: John Lackey Out for 2012 Season : Sure wheel and deal...We signed Crawford and guys like you and 90% on here were pissing in their pants with joy.....What next for you know nothings?
    Posted by donrd4

Sports Illustrated apparently wet their pants as well as did many other national scribes - Las Vegas too. What did you know that they did not?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

How is it Theo's fault that Lackey needs TJ surgery?  Can an MRI be used to estimate how long a pitcher can go before he needs his elbow rebuilt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

How is it Theo's fault that Lackey needs TJ surgery?  Can an MRI be used to estimate how long a pitcher can go before he needs his elbow rebuilt.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Oh I don't know, who went all in for John Lackey during the offseason because he spent too much time playing Guitar Hero with Gammons and tried to make up for a failed offseason again?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Posted by DirtyWaterLover

It's not. It's Theo's fault for signing a guy who stunk both seasons he's been in Boston and who makes ace type money. Healthy Lackey isn't worth that type of money.

Sections
Shortcuts