Realistic Yankee Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Realistic Yankee Thread

In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : Good morning Jessey! LOL, I'm not sure I know how to set up a thread, but I'll try. You bring the chili dogs tonight, okay?  
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Chili DOgs and Don Perignon - okay - if that's what you want.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Today’s bullpen groups:

Group 1
    Phil Hughes (to Gustavo Molina)
    Ivan Nova (to Jose Gil)
    Michael Pineda (to Francisco Cervelli)
    CC Sabathia (to Russell Martin)
    Rafael Soriano (to Austin Romine)

Group 2
    Freddy Garcia (to Gary Sanchez)
    Hiroki Kuroda (to Russell Martin)
    Boone Logan (to Austin Romine)
    Dave Robertson (to J.R. Murphy)
    Cory Wade (to Kyle Higashioka)

Batting practice groups:

Group 1: David Adams, Justin Maxwell, Andruw Jones
    Group 2: Francisco Cervelli, Russell Martin, Austin Romine, Gustavo Molina
    Group 3: Jose Gil, Gary Sanchez, Kyle Higashioka, J.R. Murphy

Also: Joba to throw from the mound today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : How about Mantle for the puppy's name?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

LOL!

I like Teddy in honor of Teddy Ballgame.  He is a labradoodle so you looks like a little teddy bear.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : That's the real Zac 67. He was just being kind sparing you a granny shot. Congrats on all that is going well in your life. My it continue forever. As for the string of success our teams have enjoyed over the last decade I see more of the same. Sit back and enjoy the ride. I call my grandmother Mimi. It seems to work well.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE]

I know, I was just giving him a hard time;0)

Mimi sounds French, I'm Irish so I think I'll go with Nana, thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : hey old lady...congrats...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Hey jete!

Good to hear from you but Old lady, ouch Yell

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : Hey jete! Good to hear from you but Old lady, ouch
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

Bust him up good 67 - I got your back Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No disrespect intended here. I am one who welcomes respectful Yankee fans on this site, but it seems a lot of Yankee threads morph into exchanges of platitudes and patting each others back. Can we get back to baseball? I know there's not much going on now, but here's a couple Yankee baseball questions:

1) Out of about 650 PAs by the Yankee DH this year, how many does Ibanez get? Andrew Jones? ARod? Jeter? others? Give me your opinions.

2) Who is the odd man out in their 5 man rotation? Garcia, Hughes, or Pineda? (Side Q: would Garcia make a good LR man?)

Tahwwk amongst yourselves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Something else to ponder...

Seasonal OPS:

Jeter by Age:
    22     23   24   25    26   27  28    29    30     31   32    33   34   35  36   37              
                            .896                                        .900
                 .864             .858       .844 .823 .839        .840       .871
    .800 .775                           .794                                  .771
                                                                                                  .710 .743

ARod by Age:
    20     21      22    23   24      25     26      27  28   29    30  31    32  33  34  35

1.045                      1.026 1.021 1.015             1.031    1.067
                     .919 .943                           .995              .914    .965 .933
            .846                                              .888                                   .847 
                                                                                                             .823

Has Tiexiera peaked early?
     23   24   25    26   27    28   29    30   31        

.929 .954      .963 .962 948
                                                  .846 .835

He could certainly rebound. But...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]No disrespect intended here. I am one who welcomes respectful Yankee fans on this site, but it seems a lot of Yankee threads morph into exchanges of platitudes and patting each others back. Can we get back to baseball? I know there's not much going on now, but here's a couple Yankee baseball questions: 1) Out of about 650 PAs by the Yankee DH this year, how many does Ibanez get? Andrew Jones? ARod? Jeter? others? Give me your opinions. 2) Who is the odd man out in their 5 man rotation? Garcia, Hughes, or Pineda? (Side Q: would Garcia make a good LR man?) Tahwwk amongst yourselves.   
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Hard to judge the amount of at bats because Jones and Ibanez's at bats are going to be determined by whether there is a lefty or a righty on the mound. I think the number of at bats for the others in the DH rotation may depend largely on health.

I think it's Hughes' job to lose, although I also feel he's better suited for the 'pen than Garcia.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : Hard to judge the amount of at bats because Jones and Ibanez's at bats are going to be determined by whether there is a lefty or a righty on the mound. I think the number of at bats for the others in the DH rotation may depend largely on health. I think it's Hughes' job to lose, although I also feel he's better suited for the 'pen than Garcia.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969[/QUOTE]

That is truly invaluable insight; did you get kicked off Yankee forums for being so knowledgeable?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : That is truly invaluable insight; did you get kicked off Yankee forums for being so knowledgeable?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

That's rich coming from someone who's sports knowledge would leave a thimble half full on a good day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : Bust him up good 67 - I got your back
    Posted by jesseyeric
    ..man Jess, what are you joining ranks with Zac and Kimmi?...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : Hey jete! Good to hear from you but Old lady, ouch
    Posted by 67redsox
    yeah, you're right...lousy humor,i take that one back...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : ..man Jess, what are you joining ranks with Zac and Kimmi?... ...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

No - just busting your chops cause I am still waiting on the call to meet up for a beer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

By all accounts, Jones is much leaner and in great shape. He mashes lefties so if  that's the case, I could see him getting 80% of the righty DH AB's, with A Rod, Jeter, Nunez, splitting the rest. Yanks expect big things from A-Rod at full strength and playing full time, and Jeter always plays except for an occasional rest with Nunez. From the left side, probably similar % with Ibanez who mashes righties (16, 60  of his 20, 84 against righties), and Chavez, Swisher, Tex, etc. getting a few ABs.

I think Yanks would like Hughes to take the 5th spot. He worked all winter and is  leaner and stronger and throwing freely. Someone said that they don't think Garcia knows where the bullpen is, but he may fill a role similar to what Aceves did when he was here. Good long man, and if any starters come up lame, he slides right in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]No disrespect intended here. I am one who welcomes respectful Yankee fans on this site, but it seems a lot of Yankee threads morph into exchanges of platitudes and patting each others back. Can we get back to baseball? I know there's not much going on now, but here's a couple Yankee baseball questions: 1) Out of about 650 PAs by the Yankee DH this year, how many does Ibanez get? Andrew Jones? ARod? Jeter? others? Give me your opinions. 2) Who is the odd man out in their 5 man rotation? Garcia, Hughes, or Pineda? (Side Q: would Garcia make a good LR man?) Tahwwk amongst yourselves.   

Legit questions and my opinions.

I agree with Babe as to LH/RH DH AB's will depend on opposing pitching. But that holds true for every team who has a platoon at the position. In NY's case, the DH is a flexible position to be used to rest players unlike the beginning of last year with Posada.  I can see Girardi trying to give Jeter and A-Rod a day off the field once every 10 games and putting them in the DH slot. I think it depends on opposing team and pitchers. I think Grandy, Tex, Swish and Cano will also be given a couple of games here and there at the DH slot.

Early reports on A. Jones have been excellent, both physical and mental. His numbers against LH pitchers were pretty good last year and he was hurting all year. Ibanez had excellent numbers against RH pitching (power wise). I thinnk overall, the DH numbers you get out of NY are going to be some of the best in baseball. I also think Gardner is not a lock to play 150 games in the OF and Jones will see plenty of time there as well. There are a lot of LH pitching in the AL.

I think Tex has a monster bounce back year as far as average is concerned. He has talked about it all off-season and I think is primed to return to his career B.A. & OBP. Especially now that he will be in the number 5 hole instead of #3.

This is only conjecture on my part, but based on the results that Kobe is showing from the procedure which he recommended to A-Rod, I think you will see a return to a .280 BA with 35 HR's; 120 RBI's for the big dope.

Obviously A-Rod and Jeter are aging and there is a decline in their game, but I will not register their decline like most other players. These are two of the best all-around athletes baseball has seen in the last 25 years. I fully expect Jeter to hit career averages, except in stolen bases. Girardi will watch over both of them carefuly. Obviously range in the field will decrease some, but unlike you, I don't think there is a 40 run difference from having a GGer in the field and an adequate defender at a position.

I also think Martin (Excellent pick-up last year) improves a little on last year, B.A. wise, Grandy drops off in power a little, but continues to improve vs. LH pitchers. Gardner, improves a bit and Swish can either have a career contract year or decline under the pressure of it being a contract year.

Pitching is another story. I am not declaring Pineda to be the second coming, but I think he shows normal progression this year and improves. CC will mentor him and help him with his change-up. Now can he do it under the bright lights is another story. Hughes is the key for me. He has reported to S.T. in top condition and it is expected that his velocity will return. If it does, then that can only mean good things for him and a spot on the rotation. If it isn't there, he will become part of the B.P. Kurado will do what needs to be done. He is back with Martin, which I think is a plus for him and NY. I expect 190 - 210 IP with and ERA about 4.25. Now is Nova just a supernova who will burn out or is he a rising star. Personally, I like the kids make-up and expect him to hit a couple of bumps in the road, but have a season similiar to last years. I have no worries about CC for 2012. Garcia is a perfect end of rotation starter or #6. I also expect to see some of the kids this year in various roles; again depending on overall health of rotation as season progresses.

Bullpen - I think it is the best in baseball. Robertson is everything you can want. I think Soriano had issues last year adjusting to a set-up role and then injuries hit. I think he has passed those issues and if healthy, will be the best 7th inning pitcher in baseball. Joba comes back in August and I like to signing of Aardsma (maybe even see him by Sept.). Wish they had a reliable LHer (Boone Logan scares me). No comment on Mo - simply the best. This bullpen can shorten games for opposing teams in a heartbeat.

Bench Depth - i think it is a strong blend of youth and veterans. They just inked Chavez to back-up A-Rod; Nunez hopefully will improve in the field and he does have a good bat. Back-up catcher (Cervelli or Romine). Hope it is Romine, far more upside for him.

One thing no one can predict is injuries. I have watched baseball too long to say that age is a primary factor in injuries, so the hopes of NY aging onto the DL list seems to be a bit more of a hope and prayer than anything else. But it is quite possible. You just cannot predict injuries.

Yankees will challenge Boston & Texas as the best offense in baseball. So this season, like every other season will depend on pitching.

Overall - above average team speed, average defensively with three potential GGers, strong power numbers. Team B.A. needs to improve from last year & I think it will. Only one ace, no defined #2, but rest of staff comprised of #3's and 4's. No dead fish at #5 (bye-bye AJ)

I like NY coaches although not the biggest fan of Girardi.

Prediction - 95 - 97 wins and battle for division title with Boston. Both teams go to the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

LOL over the yrs we had some decent conversations

but I still feel the same

you my friend, IMO  give much to much to the age stuff

Have you read my posts about 44 year old Wake?

I put Mo is Wake's category: he defies the odds associated with aging decline. Jete and ARod seem to be showing decline and should be projected to continue that way, even if slightly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : Legit questions and my opinions. I agree with Babe as to LH/RH DH AB's will depend on opposing pitching. But that holds true for every team who has a platoon at the position. In NY's case, the DH is a flexible position to be used to rest players unlike the beginning of last year with Posada.  I can see Girardi trying to give Jeter and A-Rod a day off the field once every 10 games and putting them in the DH slot. I think it depends on opposing team and pitchers. I think Grandy, Tex, Swish and Cano will also be given a couple of games here and there at the DH slot. Early reports on A. Jones have been excellent, both physical and mental. His numbers against LH pitchers were pretty good last year and he was hurting all year. Ibanez had excellent numbers against RH pitching (power wise). I thinnk overall, the DH numbers you get out of NY are going to be some of the best in baseball. I also think Gardner is not a lock to play 150 games in the OF and Jones will see plenty of time there as well. There are a lot of LH pitching in the AL. I think Tex has a monster bounce back year as far as average is concerned. He has talked about it all off-season and I think is primed to return to his career B.A. & OBP. Especially now that he will be in the number 5 hole instead of #3. This is only conjecture on my part, but based on the results that Kobe is showing from the procedure which he recommended to A-Rod, I think you will see a return to a .280 BA with 35 HR's; 120 RBI's for the big dope. Obviously A-Rod and Jeter are aging and there is a decline in their game, but I will not register their decline like most other players. These are two of the best all-around athletes baseball has seen in the last 25 years. I fully expect Jeter to hit career averages, except in stolen bases. Girardi will watch over both of them carefuly. Obviously range in the field will decrease some, but unlike you, I don't think there is a 40 run difference from having a GGer in the field and an adequate defender at a position. I also think Martin (Excellent pick-up last year) improves a little on last year, B.A. wise, Grandy drops off in power a little, but continues to improve vs. LH pitchers. Gardner, improves a bit and Swish can either have a career contract year or decline under the pressure of it being a contract year. Pitching is another story. I am not declaring Pineda to be the second coming, but I think he shows normal progression this year and improves. CC will mentor him and help him with his change-up. Now can he do it under the bright lights is another story. Hughes is the key for me. He has reported to S.T. in top condition and it is expected that his velocity will return. If it does, then that can only mean good things for him and a spot on the rotation. If it isn't there, he will become part of the B.P. Kurado will do what needs to be done. He is back with Martin, which I think is a plus for him and NY. I expect 190 - 210 IP with and ERA about 4.25. Now is Nova just a supernova who will burn out or is he a rising star. Personally, I like the kids make-up and expect him to hit a couple of bumps in the road, but have a season similiar to last years. I have no worries about CC for 2012. Garcia is a perfect end of rotation starter or #6. I also expect to see some of the kids this year in various roles; again depending on overall health of rotation as season progresses. Bullpen - I think it is the best in baseball. Robertson is everything you can want. I think Soriano had issues last year adjusting to a set-up role and then injuries hit. I think he has passed those issues and if healthy, will be the best 7th inning pitcher in baseball. Joba comes back in August and I like to signing of Aardsma (maybe even see him by Sept.). Wish they had a reliable LHer (Boone Logan scares me). No comment on Mo - simply the best. This bullpen can shorten games for opposing teams in a heartbeat. Bench Depth - i think it is a strong blend of youth and veterans. They just inked Chavez to back-up A-Rod; Nunez hopefully will improve in the field and he does have a good bat. Back-up catcher (Cervelli or Romine). Hope it is Romine, far more upside for him. One thing no one can predict is injuries. I have watched baseball too long to say that age is a primary factor in injuries, so the hopes of NY aging onto the DL list seems to be a bit more of a hope and prayer than anything else. But it is quite possible. You just cannot predict injuries. Yankees will challenge Boston & Texas as the best offense in baseball. So this season, like every other season will depend on pitching. Overall - above average team speed, average defensively with three potential GGers, strong power numbers. Team B.A. needs to improve from last year & I think it will. Only one ace, no defined #2, but rest of staff comprised of #3's and 4's. No dead fish at #5 (bye-bye AJ) I like NY coaches although not the biggest fan of Girardi. Prediction - 95 - 97 wins and battle for division title with Boston. Both teams go to the playoffs.

Geat post jesse and thanks for the detailed response. I can't say I strongly disagree with anything.

I do think Gardner should be leadoff, not Jete.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

[QUOTE]LOL over the yrs we had some decent conversations but I still feel the same you my friend, IMO  give much to much to the age stuff Have you read my posts about 44 year old Wake? I put Mo is Wake's category: he defies the odds associated with aging decline. Jete and ARod seem to be showing decline and should be projected to continue that way, even if slightly.

Please, wake should never even be mentioned in the same sentence as Mo. wake did not defy the odds associated with decline.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : Please, wake should never even be mentioned in the same sentence as Mo. wake did not defy the odds associated with decline.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969[/QUOTE]

You have serious reading comprehension issues.

I never said Mo and Wake were equal in any way. I only said that Mo defied the age curve projections. To say that Wake did not defy the odds associated with decline, shows you know absolutely nothing about Wake.

Wake's worst 4-5 years of his career were the typical prime years for pitchers (age 29-32 or 33).

His best 50 consecutive game's started stretch was at ages 41-41. Anybody else you know who has his best season and a half at those ages?

He made the allstar team one time: at age 42-43.

He was 5th in WHIP in the AL at age 41-42.

In seasons with over 100 IP, his best 2 ERA seasons were at ages:
    28-29
    35-36

His next best:
    34-35
    36-37
    41-42
    38-39

His best ERA+ (100+ IP)
    28-29  165
    34-35  162
    34-35  116
    36-37  114
    41-42  112

His best WHIP seasons:
    28-29 (195 IP)
    41-42 (181)
    35-36 (163)
    38-39 (225 IP)
    36-37
    39-40

Mo's best WHIP:

Both defied traditional aging curves eventhough Mo's was always much higher 9better) than Wake's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : Geat post jesse and thanks for the detailed response. I can't say I strongly disagree with anything. I do think Gardner should be leadoff, not Jete.

I think it will be split and only because I think Jones is going to get a lot of time in LF this year unless Gardner comes out of the shoot extremely hot.

the key is for Minka to stay the h3ll away from Jeter.

During Minka - .260
    Post Minka - .331

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : I think it will be split and only because I think Jones is going to get a lot of time in LF this year unless Gardner comes out of the shoot extremely hot. the key is for Minka to stay the h3ll away from Jeter. During Minka - .260 Post Minka - .331

There are many guys who would take one for the team in order to make sure this happens.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Realistic Yankee Thread : There are many guys who would take one for the team in order to make sure this happens.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Spaceace - would you aid the enemy in this case?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Today’s bullpen groups:

Group 1
    Juan Cedeno (to Gustavo Molina)
    Manny Delcarmen (to Francisco Cervelli)
    Mike O’Connor (to Jose Gil)
    Clay Rapada (to Russell Martin)

Group 2
    Adam Miller (to Austin Romine)
    Ryan Pope (to Gary Sanchez)
    Kevin Whelan (to Kyle Higashioka)