Realistically - how far can these guys go?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dublin_Sox. Show Dublin_Sox's posts

Realistically - how far can these guys go?

Not even looking at our starters and disaster of a BP, look at the line up. Will the make the playoffs? 

Aviles SS
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Ross RF
    Ortiz DH
    Youkilis 3B
    Shoppach C
    McDonald LF
    Repko CF

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Realistically - how far can these guys go?

You just really never know Dub.  If you posted the line-up and starting rotation for the St. Louis Cardinals at this time in 2011, how far would you have them going.  Most had them mid-pack in the NL Central.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The only way they make the playoffs is if Verlander, Fielder, Sabathia, Rivera, Price, Longoria, Sanchez, Butler, Lewis, Hamilton, Bautista, Romero, Puljous, and Weaver are all out for for the remainder of the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Realistically - how far can these guys go?:
    Not even looking at our starters and disaster of a BP, look at the line up. Will the make the playoffs?  Aviles SS Pedroia 2B Gonzalez 1B Ross RF Ortiz DH Youkilis 3B Shoppach C McDonald LF Repko CF
    Posted by Dublin_Sox

I think they will play all 162 games this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Realistically - how far can these guys go?:
    You just really never know Dub.  If you posted the line-up and starting rotation for the St. Louis Cardinals at this time in 2011, how far would you have them going.  Most had them mid-pack in the NL Central.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Here is the St. Louis Cardinal lineup from a year ago:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN201104170.shtml

On this date a year ago, the Cardinals had a starting rotation of:

Chris Carpenter 4.13 ERA
    Jake Westbrook 7.63 ERA
    Jaime Garcia 1.35 ERA
    Kyle Lohse 2.82 ERA
    Kyle McClellan 1.89 ERA

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dublin_Sox. Show Dublin_Sox's posts

In response to "Re: Realistically - how far can these guys go?":
    You just really never know Dub.  If you posted the line-up and starting rotation for the St. Louis Cardinals at this time in 2011, how far would you have them going.  Most had them mid-pack in the NL Central. Posted by SpacemanEephus
    I have to admit, that's a great point!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

This is the AL, not the NL, so don't post "see the Cards of 2011".

Unless this team acquires a star RH bat, it will struggle to get one of the two wild cards. If it does get a WC, it will have virtual zero chance of winning the AL.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Aceves is junk? huh? He sure looked good last two appearances.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

They are not a very good team.  They are mediocre.

Maybe when they get healthy in the OF they can become very good.

For the next 4 weeks?  Plan on mediocre.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

They wont make the playoffs, most of the "experts" have them at 3rd or 4th place in the east. I think they finish 4th or even last. Too many holes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Not sure the BP is a disaster.  Getting Elles and Craw back
    should help.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

umm the bullpen is without question a disaster. aceves is closing, padilla and morales are set up men, that says alot about your pen. none of those guys are back of the pen pitchers. the sox went cheap and now they have one of the worst pens in the majors (if not the worst)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Anything is possible in the baseball postseason so I'll say the ceiling is still the World Series. Having said that I don't like our chances and picked us third in the AL and out of the playoffs. But that's because I hated the offseason so I don't want that to taint what's possible. 

"Unless this team acquires a star RH bat, it will struggle to get one of the two wild cards. If it does get a WC, it will have virtual zero chance of winning the AL."

LOL that's the spirit! Pike, I have a project for you.....

Softy just curious, if we trade for Matt Kemp will you start rooting for the team? I'm willing to root for that outcome just to have you cheering the team on for a change. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

Well at least the Cubs are 3-9. Time for change, DFA McDonald, put Youkilis on the DL, send Salty now hitting a robust .080 to Pawtucket and bring up Middlebrooks, Lavarnway and the best performing RHP in AAA or AA. This iteration of the Sox is painful to watch. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It almost would be refreshing. Bring in the 3B, SS, CA of the future this July if the team is still wallowing. Trade anyone you can at that time to.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

In Response to Re: Realistically - how far can these guys go?:
    In Response to Re: Realistically - how far can these guys go? : makes sense to me. they can't do any worse; if it's going to be a rebuilding year, than the SOX should start rebuilding. let's get something out of this anguish that is the RED SOX.
    Posted by mryazz

I agree.  I really don't care if this team makes the play offs. It seems clear to me we are more than just a few players away from being a serious play off team.  I have to assume it's just as clear to the owners.   If we use this year to make the kind of moves that pay off in the next year or two I'm cool.  

I'd even consider it progress if all we learn how to do is keep the team reasonably healthy all year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think the Brass misjudges the fan base... I believe most of us would support a 50% re-build. Our team rebuilding is not an 5 year Indians, or 15 year Pirates model. It is simply one or two years max.  We have solid core players already in AG, Pedey, and Lester.

We are stuck with Lackey and Crawford so...

1B) AGon
    2B) Pedey
    LF) Crawford

#2) Lester
    #3) Beckett
    #4) Lackey

Misc)  Bard

That's really it, conceivably the team could jettison all the other regualr players for 2013 without much effort.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

How about nowhere?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

They have had a very tough opening schedule much like last year so its still too early to judge.  Mid May will be a better time to see if the ship needs a new crew.  If they relax and can hang around .500 until then, hopefully some real help will arrive from the current DL.

As for the pen, yes it is pretty weak, but the combo Bailey's injury and Melancon's meltdown has put the team in this situation.  Hard to predict both would occur, and very hard to find viable answers now.  I still think Bard needs to move back to closer, with Cook given a shot in the rotation.  The longer this takes to happen, the worse it can get.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Now that Bard has had a couple of good outings as a starter it's harder to decide what to do with him.  Which ever way they go with him they're leaving a hole at the other spot. 

I say go one way or the other with Bard, and live with it.  It's either going to be right or wrong, depending on your perspective.  The one thing they can't do is move him back and forth. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

it's a BRIDGE YEAR

Sections
Shortcuts