REALLY? REALLY? MIKE the CARP gets #38! was #9 or #45 unavailable?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: REALLY? REALLY? MIKE the CARP gets #38! was #9 or #45 unavailable?

More spam from the board's current master spammer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

But I think he has a point

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:

I don't think Curt deserves to have his number retired, so it has to go to someone. Don't get me wrong, that game he pitched against the Yanks in the 2004 ALCS was epic, but I think it should take a little more than that to get your number retired. The only Red Sox with their numbers retired are Joe Cronin, Bobby Doerr, Johnny Pesky, Yaz, Ted Williams, Carlton Fisk and Jim Ed Rice; hall of famers all. Among the former players who don't have their numbers retired are Tiant, Jimmie Foxx, Dwight Evans, Wade Boggs, Tris Speaker, Cy Young and Roger Clemens. Just saying...

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

i think the red sawx must disapprove of his politics or blowhard antics and are trying to send a francona-like message. this cant be accidental. either way, its bad. either they are clueless or just vindictive. has anyone worn #45 since pedro? can someone answer me that? if the answer is yes, then i apologize. if the answer is no, i stand corrected!

Pedro was only the best pitcher in baseball while he played for the Red Sox. Your argument is specious, if you know what that means.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:

I don't think Curt deserves to have his number retired, so it has to go to someone. Don't get me wrong, that game he pitched against the Yanks in the 2004 ALCS was epic, but I think it should take a little more than that to get your number retired. The only Red Sox with their numbers retired are Joe Cronin, Bobby Doerr, Johnny Pesky, Yaz, Ted Williams, Carlton Fisk and Jim Ed Rice; hall of famers all. Among the former players who don't have their numbers retired are Tiant, Jimmie Foxx, Dwight Evans, Wade Boggs, Tris Speaker, Cy Young and Roger Clemens. Just saying...

Agree totally. Schill was great, but he was only with the Red Sox for four years in which he played. He hasn't played in five years so I have no problem with the number going out again.

Dwight Evans' No. 24 should be retired for him (not Manny, even though Manny, of course, was great here).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I could be wrong , but I think the Sox use the Hall of Fame as the criteria for retiring a number.  Don't want to see it turn into a situation like the Yankees , with so many numbers no longer available. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Does the uni come with a bloody sock?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I could be wrong , but I think the Sox use the Hall of Fame as the criteria for retiring a number. 

They do, but they could loosen it up some.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I could be wrong , but I think the Sox use the Hall of Fame as the criteria for retiring a number. 

They do, but they could loosen it up some.

I'll never forget what Schilling did in 2004 either, but there is no way the Sox are ever going to retire a guy's number who pitched here for 4 seasons.  38 probably isn't in the top 5 right now when it comes to retiring Sox numbers.  Then again, nothing Larry Lucchino does when it comes to marketing the Sox surprises me.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

who cares?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

21, 24 and 26 should all be retired before 38 even enters the discussion...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I disagree wholeheartenly with this.

None of these numbers should ever be recognized in the Sox hall of fame, although #21 has been sitting in a closest since the Texas con man left for Toronto.

First off, Clemens milked his last contract with the Sox for 2 1/2 of the 4 years...he pitched great the first year and the 2nd half of the final year when he was pitching for his new contract...and lo and behold he became a Cy winner again...and then a Yankee, who even spurned the Sox when given an opportunity to have his sins forgiven in Boston.

Secondly, I respect Dewey Evans for the hardnosed decent ballplayer he made himself after a number of years as a defensive whiz...it took tutelage from Walt Hriniak to make him a good hitter for the last few years of his career...Manny's quitting on the team at the end burn't the bridges he built in Boston and then became a multiple convicted cheater...adios Manny.

Lastly, the Chicken man was a great hitter, but a selfish one at that and other than batting average and consecutive days of chicken he had he is not worthly of HOF...he also ended up a Yankee and made a name for himself there.

Excluding Manny who most don't attribute #24 to for the Sox HOF, how many championships did those guys bring to Boston??

Now let's take a look at #38...he joins the Sox in the winter before the 2004 season and delivers on a promise to end the curse before the season starts. He then helps win a 2nd championship in 2007.

To me it's about the rings boys and girls, and Schilling deserves to be recognized for those acheivements in Boston over anything else.

Give Carp #21 and retain the respect for Schilling for those Red Sox fans who truly understand what he helped accomplish here in those 4 short years!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I think the Yankees should keep retiring all their numbers so they eventually have to use negative numbers, to match their negative reputation. Less than zero. LOL

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Carp getting #38 really gives him a leg up for the 10th player award.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

None of these numbers should ever be recognized in the Sox hall of fame, although #21 has been sitting in a closest since the Texas con man left for Toronto.

First off, Clemens milked his last contract with the Sox for 2 1/2 of the 4 years...he pitched great the first year and the 2nd half of the final year when he was pitching for his new contract...and lo and behold he became a Cy winner again...and then a Yankee, who even spurned the Sox when given an opportunity to have his sins forgiven in Boston.

Secondly, I respect Dewey Evans for the hardnosed decent ballplayer he made himself after a number of years as a defensive whiz...it took tutelage from Walt Hriniak to make him a good hitter for the last few years of his career...Manny's quitting on the team at the end burn't the bridges he built in Boston and then became a multiple convicted cheater...adios Manny.

Lastly, the Chicken man was a great hitter, but a selfish one at that and other than batting average and consecutive days of chicken he had he is not worthly of HOF...he also ended up a Yankee and made a name for himself there.

Excluding Manny who most don't attribute #24 to for the Sox HOF, how many championships did those guys bring to Boston??

Now let's take a look at #38...he joins the Sox in the winter before the 2004 season and delivers on a promise to end the curse before the season starts. He then helps win a 2nd championship in 2007.

To me it's about the rings boys and girls, and Schilling deserves to be recognized for those acheivements in Boston over anything else.

Give Carp #21 and retain the respect for Schilling for those Red Sox fans who truly understand what he helped accomplish here in those 4 short years!

So by your reasoning Joe Cronin, Bobby Doerr, Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Carlton Fisk and Jim Rice all don't deserve their numbers retired because the Sox didn't win any WSC's while they played. Right?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Well, you are incorrect.

Clemens had a remarkable year in Boston before those last 4 plus seasons, and won 3 Cy Youngsand had 2 other top 5 finishes.  He also holds numerous team records as SP. I do not like that he was a Yankee, but that does not change what he did on the Red Sox.  (Also, as he was traded to NY, it is arguable that it was not his choice, although he certainly wanted to go.)

Both Evans and Ramirez are reasons to retire 24.  Ramirez gave some reasons not to with his 2 PED busts.  Evans is not in Cooperstown.

That Boggs number is not retired as a sham. Yankee or not, he was one of the best hitters in Sox history.  His only flaw appears to be that he did not retire in Boston.  You know, like how Fisk did.

And if it is all about "how many champinships did they bring?"  What again is the combined total of World Series titles won by Williams, Yaztrzemski, Doerr, Rice and Cronin again?

Schilling provided some great memories, although some are already forgotten.  (Game 2 of the 2007 World Series?  C'mon people!!)  But if it is all about a post-season heroic or two, do we expect  the Sox to retire number 7 for JD Drew?  Hey Marty Barrett was nearly a WS MVP.  Do we retire 17 for him?  Where do we draw that line?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Those who counter argue that based on my comments that Doerr, Willams, Yaz, etc should not have retired numbers because they didn't win a championship is ludicrous...these guys were UNDEBATED HOF players with the numbers to prove it.

In addition, some of you tried to downplay Schillings importance to the championships by citing one or two examples like JD Drew, and more ridiculously Marty  Barrett. Schilling's arrival, along with Millar (some knucklehead will say he belongs in the HOF also now) and others changed the culture of this team and made them true believers that they could break the so-called curse...actually dumping Garciaparra had a big part in the team winning also.

Now granted Clemens was a great pitcher with the Sox for his early years in Boston, but he got a big head and milked his final contract...ask Butch Hobson if Clemens number should be retired...despite all he accomplished in Boston, he still CHOSE NY over Boston in the end and that decision he should pay for.

Regarding Boggs, what did his singles hitting, high batting average do to lead his team? Nothing! He was a selfish player who cared more about his stats that winning.

Sections
Shortcuts