REALLY? REALLY? MIKE the CARP gets #38! was #9 or #45 unavailable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

Re: REALLY? REALLY? MIKE the CARP gets #38! was #9 or #45 unavailable?

Rather than Dewey (24 will always be Evans to me)  Shilling and Boggs' numbers being retired, I think the biggest travesty is Tony C's number out for grabs, he wasn't a mercenary, he didn't use roids, he was a local kid. 25 Should be retired ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to slakrking's comment:

Rather than Dewey (24 will always be Evans to me)  Shilling and Boggs' numbers being retired, I think the biggest travesty is Tony C's number out for grabs, he wasn't a mercenary, he didn't use roids, he was a local kid. 25 Should be retired ...

I would venture a prediction that the next Red Sox number to be retired will be 45.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Those who counter argue that based on my comments that Doerr, Willams, Yaz, etc should not have retired numbers because they didn't win a championship is ludicrous...these guys were UNDEBATED HOF players with the numbers to prove it.

In addition, some of you tried to downplay Schillings importance to the championships by citing one or two examples like JD Drew, and more ridiculously Marty  Barrett. Schilling's arrival, along with Millar (some knucklehead will say he belongs in the HOF also now) and others changed the culture of this team and made them true believers that they could break the so-called curse...actually dumping Garciaparra had a big part in the team winning also.

Now granted Clemens was a great pitcher with the Sox for his early years in Boston, but he got a big head and milked his final contract...ask Butch Hobson if Clemens number should be retired...despite all he accomplished in Boston, he still CHOSE NY over Boston in the end and that decision he should pay for.

Regarding Boggs, what did his singles hitting, high batting average do to lead his team? Nothing! He was a selfish player who cared more about his stats that winning.

You are being hypocritical.

Boggis an undebated Hall of Famer, and is in the same building as Williams, Yaz, etc.  He is not in some sort of HOF Jr.  But for him , you change the rules.  "Well the team never won...."  There is no reason for him to be the only player with that criteria...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

I feel the same way when they give #5 to the worst player on the team. I don't think #5 or #38 need to be officially retired, but they're numbers that are associated with Boston legend - let's be a bit selective who wears them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Polly-'s comment:

I always thought that Don Buddin's number should have been retired.

Certainly one of my all-time favorites.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to notin's comment:

You are being hypocritical.

Boggis an undebated Hall of Famer, and is in the same building as Williams, Yaz, etc.  He is not in some sort of HOF Jr.  But for him , you change the rules.  "Well the team never won...."  There is no reason for him to be the only player with that criteria...

OK I stand corrected...I conveniently overlooked Bogg's status as making it into the HOF for both MLB and the Red Sox, however, it does not change my overall opinion of him as being a selfish player.

I guess one of the reasons I omitted him from the group is because, despite his accomplishments, the Sox have kept his number off the facade of retired numbers displayed at Fenway, can anybody explain why? I thought the criteria for that honor was being in both HOF's, and Pesky!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The criteria for having the Sox retire s number always included Cooperstown enshrinememt and retiring as a Sox player.   Boggs did not do the lattrr.

Then again neither did Fisk....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

The criteria for having the Sox retire s number always included Cooperstown enshrinememt and retiring as a Sox player.   Boggs did not do the lattrr.

According to Wikipedia...

Boggs was elected to the Red Sox Hall of Fame in 2004 and the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005.

Regarding the Red Sox HOF criteria...

Former Boston Red Sox players and personnel in the National Baseball Hall of Fame (NBHOF) in Cooperstown, New York will be automatically enshrined in the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame.

...so this explains Fisk's situation as he was elected in 2000.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

According to Wikipedia...

Boggs was elected to the Red Sox Hall of Fame in 2004 and the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005.

Regarding the Red Sox HOF criteria...

Former Boston Red Sox players and personnel in the National Baseball Hall of Fame (NBHOF) in Cooperstown, New York will be automatically enshrined in the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame.

...so this explains Fisk's situation as he was elected in 2000.

Actually it doesn't explain why his number was retired. Not every member of the Red Sox hall of fame has their number retired. My guess is it has something to do with him being a hall of famer coupled with game 6 of the '75 WS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Sox created a loophole for Fisk in that he was working for the Red Sox when is number was retired.

But as Mazz or someone pointed out, the criteria to retired a number was set up by the previous regime, so Henry and Co. can set up their own criteria and do what they want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I can see the point of honoring Curt ...

But why did the author find it was it necessary to deride Carp?  I know he isn't - or hasn't yet - proven to be of star quality but why make fun of him by twisting his name?

I'm not for retiring Curt's number and many of the valued items of the red sock moment are already in the HOF, so honor is being paid.

Sections
Shortcuts