Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from My Dads Brick. Show My Dads Brick's posts

Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired

I'm sure there are other lists out there, but I'm going to start this and I would like people to add on realistic reasons why. I'm going to come up with three to start, hopefully people agreeing with them.

1. County Club Attitude
    2. His inability to call out any player, especially after the stuff John Lackey pulled on him.
    3. Not starting Aceves this month, even though using him in games where the team has gone 2-6 and was brough into 8 games when they were behind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired

Thers about 8 other threads you could have inserted your post into...... rather than waste more space as such. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I would love to see them get somebody like Ozzie Guillen. Would change a lot of attitudes on this club. Being a long time Red Sox fan what is happening ain't nothing new.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In Response to Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure there are other lists out there, but I'm going to start this and I would like people to add on realistic reasons why. I'm going to come up with three to start, hopefully people agreeing with them. 1. County Club Attitude 2. His inability to call out any player, especially after the stuff John Lackey pulled on him. 3. Not starting Aceves this month, even though using him in games where the team has gone 2-6 and was brough into 8 games when they were behind.
    Posted by My Dads Brick[/QUOTE]

As far as calling out any player, we don't know that one way or the other.  It's been very much what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse for all of the years he's been here.  He very well might have called out several guys and they've essentially told him screw you.  We will never know.

Tito was what the Idiots needed in 04, but he may not be what this group needs now.  He will not be fired, but he will not be back either.  His contract is up, and neither side will pick up the options.  Mutual clean separation.  And frankly, I'm not sure he wants to come back here next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from northtroyboy. Show northtroyboy's posts

Tito's not the problem.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

He is a great manager for an unestablished team trying to get back on track, but he has a hard time managing established, well-paid and respected players. He is too worried about them not liking him that makes decisions from his heart instead of his head.

There clearly is not a team leader on this team. They say it Papi but with the way he struggles, how can he preach to the others? The only player who would have the right to say that the others are not playing as hard as himself is Ellsburry but he is not at that "star" level in regards to years of service or pay and is too timid to speak-up. Thats why the media keeps going to him. They are trying to get him to say something as he is the only one with the right to talk.

Francona maybe to the White Sox would work and someone like Valentine to the Sox would be a good fit. Other than Valentine, I would get a big name from the minors to take over. Someone not interested in making friends.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

He should be fired because he didn't public tear into a member of the team?  How would that have helped the team win?  This always happens in my work place.  Weekly, the boss holds a giant meeting with all employees and then launches into a tirade about 1 or 2 people who missed a couple of days because they were sick.  Always improves morale around the office.

Amazing, Aceves is suddenly the reincarnation of Cy Young.  I seem to recall aceves coming into a game last week with 2 men and and 2 out with the game tied.  He gave up a 2 run hit.

If only Francona had publicly lit into a few players and started Aceves, the team would have won 65% of the games in September.

How does starting Aceves or blasting Lackey cause Beckett, Wakefield, Lester, Bedard win a ball game.  How does that prevent Bard from blowing 2 saves or Pap blowing a save?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I think a major factor in deciding his future may be the fact that with all the money being spent and still missing the playoffs 3 times.  Someone has to be accountable.

Unfortunately they can't "fire" the players, so I think it's got to be either Theo or Tito...might be both??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

The 2-10 start is fully his fault.  They were no where near ready to start the season after the Country Club that was ST

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sure there are other lists out there, but I'm going to start this and I would like people to add on realistic reasons why. I'm going to come up with three to start, hopefully people agreeing with them. 1. County Club Attitude 2. His inability to call out any player, especially after the stuff John Lackey pulled on him. 3. Not starting Aceves this month, even though using him in games where the team has gone 2-6 and was brough into 8 games when they were behind.

The fact that he's a horrendous field tactician takes precedence over anything else. He simply doesn't belong behind the bench of any MLB team. He never has.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

If Francona is fired it will be because Theo will be trying to save his own rear end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Becasue John Henry has lost confidence in his abiltiy to manage the team...when and if he reacehs that conclusion then he and his baseball operations team will then take away his keys and thank him for a job well done...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Here's some baseball 101 for you.

You're in a game against the team that's chasing you and the game has gone into extra innings. They are the home team so if they score the game is over and you lose. They have a man on 3rd and there is one out. Their superstar, a guy that kills you every year, is coming to the plate.

What do you do?

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    You walk him right? You set up a double play and allow yourself to get out of the inning with one pitch. That's easy.

Francona can't even make that move. He pitched to Evan Longoria with a runner on 3rd and one out. Longoria hit a gamewinning sac fly to center and we lost to the Rays, again.

There is no logic for not walking Longoria there. None. In fact, I would have walked Zobrist if it were Longoria on deck too. You just have to give yourself the option of a double play if they happen to hit a ground ball. This isn't hard stuff, yet Tito misses it on a daily basis.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

OK so I, for one, disagree on all 3 points!

1) Country Club Attitude - what indications can you provide that this team has a country club attitude...slumping and playing badly are not an indication of lackidaisical attitudes.

2) Call Out Inability -- who says that Francona does not do this behind closed doors and not in front of fans or media? Are you in the clubhouse to see this not happening?

3) Starting Aceves -- MDB is another disciple of Aceves as the rotation savior and damn the bullpen group. Taking Aceves out of the bullpen likely would have had a more adverse impact on September results as it already has. Plus, Aceves would not pitch more than 5 innings in any start...who relieves him to keep his "assumed" lead intact?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired:
    [QUOTE]The 2-10 start is fully his fault.  They were no where near ready to start the season after the Country Club that was ST
    Posted by KRomine[/QUOTE]

OK, the 2-10 start is on Tito.  Is first place on September 1st Tito's fault as well?  Despite the 2-10 start, the Sox started the last month of the season in first place, with the second best record in the major league.

By the way, tn the 10 losses, the pitching staff gave up 5 or more runs 7 times.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

If Francoma is not fired it will reflect how weak this organization really is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

John McCraw couldn't win with pitching staff of Red Sox, are you seriously thinking that a staff of Wakefield, Lackey, Miller, etc, and a bull-pen of other teams cast-offs was going to do the job. This debacle lays at the feet of FO especially Theo. The Sox put all their marbles on opening day roster, then  went on the cheap to fill in any holes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In a collapse like this , somebody has to pay the price. Usually it is the manager.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Because the FO needs a scapegoat.
    Because you can't fire a roster of incompetent players.
    Because Theo screwed up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411883. Show user_4411883's posts

good

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I honestly blame Theo, and I still think Theo does a good job overall ... but losing Youk now is the death of this team.  There pitching was NEVER that good, yet they won games.  We can't score runs with this massively lefty tilted lineup, it is too easy to pitch around even for lousy RH starters.  

We need a RH power bat.  We don't have one.  We lose.  

Who said trade Els for a power RH bat?  Makes sense to me ....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I honestly blame Theo, and I still think Theo does a good job overall ... but losing Youk now is the death of this team.  There pitching was NEVER that good, yet they won games.  We can't score runs with this massively lefty tilted lineup, it is too easy to pitch around even for lousy RH starters.   We need a RH power bat.  We don't have one.  We lose.   Who said trade Els for a power RH bat?  Makes sense to me ....
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]During the collapse the RS pitching staff has a ERA of 7.18. NO team in the history of baseball has ever had a 8 plus runs per game average.

It was the pitching, the pitching and the pitching.

That said the manager is the most likely scapegoat here. Hard to dump the pitchers on long term deals and get value (Lackey). The team scored well until asked to constantly be playing from behind.

But rest assured most of what the RS strategically, from in game moves to line-ups has the FO finger prints all over it, as does the make up of the roster.

But dumping Epstein and most of his staff would be radical and the less likely reaction. Not Lucchino might not be in Henry's ear about the missteps that have been made. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Everything points to conditioning issues.  The slow start still playing themselves into shape, the numerous injuries, the September collapse of the pitching staff.  If Tito is the cause of allowing players to hit FL not physically ready, then he should go.  I believe that is the player's responsibility, not the manager.  Can't forget how many of this group were coming off 2010 injuries and wonder if that played a role.

One other thought - I'm amazed that more blame has not been targeted toward the prized pitching coach lured away from Oakland.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Everything points to conditioning issues.  The slow start still playing themselves into shape, the numerous injuries, the September collapse of the pitching staff.  If Tito is the cause of allowing players to hit FL not physically ready, then he should go.  I believe that is the player's responsibility, not the manager.  Can't forget how many of this group were coming off 2010 injuries and wonder if that played a role. One other thought - I'm amazed that more blame has not been targeted toward the prized pitching coach lured away from Oakland.
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan[/QUOTE]If Francona goes I would be willing to bet that Young and Bogar follow him out the door. Assuming Theo stays, Magadan is Epstein's guy so he is safe and Hale would likely be a top candidate to assume the manager's job.

You can't fire the players or blow up the team without going into a 3-5 year rebuild. You let Epstein walk away and go to the Cubs you lose much of your entire FO organization chart. Francona and some of his staff are the red meat that masses will demand being fed.

It doesn't make it right but it is how the world works.