Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootis4745. Show bootis4745's posts

Re: Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired

I have never been a Francona Basher EVER! In fact, I think he has done a good job during his tenure here.

BUT, although the players did not play as they were paid to do. Francona should be fired.

And, I would be the first to fire him if I were in charge. He must be held accountable for this mess.

This debacle is worse than 1978. I saw that happen too. We blew a 14 game lead from July 14th 1978, came back and caught the Yanks on last game day to force the one game playoff.

This year we blow a 9 game lead just since September 1st. Less than a month!!! Simply pathetic!

Francona must go! Hate to see this happen and end this way, but he is Toast and should be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

So a different manager would:

- not have started Josh Beckett in September
    - not have started John Lester in September
    - not have started John Lackey the entire season
    - not have given the ball to Daniel Bard in the 8th inning
    - not have played Carl Crawford the entire season

<end sarcasm />

Francona is not the problem

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's a more accurate list of reasons why Tippy will be spitting his seeds from someone else's dugout next year:
    1) His record over the last 4 years has not been very good and he's been there for both of the teams worst collapses since the turn of the century 09 and this years catastrophe!
    2) His inablility to ingame manage.
    3) Someone's head will roll if the sox don't make it to the playoffs.
    4) It's him or Theo
    5) He isn't under contract after this season.
    6) His unwillingness to adapt to the players he has and chose as his 25 man roster and their replacements off the 40 man roster,why have Iglesias on the 40 man if you aren't going to use his defensive skills to at least prevent runs?
    7)Syonara Tippy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Re: Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired:
    [QUOTWowE]Here's some baseball 101 for you. You're in a game against the team that's chasing you and the game has gone into extra innings. They are the home team so if they score the game is over and you lose. They have a man on 3rd and there is one out. Their superstar, a guy that kills you every year, is coming to the plate. What do you do? - - - - - - You walk him right? You set up a double play and allow yourself to get out of the inning with one pitch. That's easy. Francona can't even make that move. He pitched to Evan Longoria with a runner on 3rd and one out. Longoria hit a gamewinning sac fly to center and we lost to the Rays, again. There is no logic for not walking Longoria there. None. In fact, I would have walked Zobrist if it were Longoria on deck too. You just have to give yourself the option of a double play if they happen to hit a ground ball. This isn't hard stuff, yet Tito misses it on a daily basis.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

Wow did that really happen like that?  I not doubting you, but I'm dumbfounded reading it.  It is a no brainer.  Meaningless runners to your advantage.  I so dumbfounded that I have to ask again....did it happen that way?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lscheue. Show lscheue's posts

During the summer months when the team was running smoothly for the most part, games were lost because Tito refused to retire pitchers who were out of steam.  He did it again yesterday with Becket.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]I think a major factor in deciding his future may be the fact that with all the money being spent and still missing the playoffs 3 times.  Someone has to be accountable. Unfortunately they can't "fire" the players, so I think it's got to be either Theo or Tito...might be both??
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]
    both need to go

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankeefan11. Show yankeefan11's posts

As an outsider here... I don't believe Tito should be fired. Is it his fault that Crawford, Beckett, Youkilis, Gonzalez, Lester, Lackey and the rest didn't perform to expectations or got injured? I don't think you can hold the manager accountable for that. He preps the players and puts them on the field. Then it's up to them.

But one thing I have seen is that whenever Papi strikes out (which is pretty often lately) he gets this "oh crap, not again" look on his face, and his shoulders drop, and he mopes back to the dugout, dragging his bat in the dirt. Pardon me for saying this, but his attitude is clearly that the season has been over for the Sox for a long time. You wouldn't see that from Pedroia. And it's contagious.

Where's the fire in the belly, Boston? Who's the leader on the team that kicks everyone's butt? Who's the cheerleader? Varitek? The silent one?

It's not the manager. It has to come from the players. And I haven't seen it in a while.

That's too bad, because I really love to watch the Yanks and Sox in the playoffs. Tampa can't even fill their darn stadium during a pennant race. They just aren't interesting. The Sox are.

Keep Francona. He's been a terrific manager. But some of the players need an attitude adjustment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]I have never been a Francona Basher EVER! In fact, I think he has done a good job during his tenure here. BUT, although the players did not play as they were paid to do. Francona should be fired. And, I would be the first to fire him if I were in charge. He must be held accountable for this mess. This debacle is worse than 1978. I saw that happen too. We blew a 14 game lead from July 14th 1978, came back and caught the Yanks on last game day to force the one game playoff. This year we blow a 9 game lead just since September 1st. Less than a month!!! Simply pathetic! Francona must go! Hate to see this happen and end this way, but he is Toast and should be.
    Posted by bootis4745[/QUOTE]
    Francona may have been good in 04 and 07 as manager but from then on he has become weak in leadership.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sallybob. Show sallybob's posts

Epstein should be fired. No backup. How can Francono yell at players when his mouth is ALWAYS full of sunflower seeds. He looks like a gerbil in the dugout.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]Everything points to conditioning issues.  The slow start still playing themselves into shape, the numerous injuries, the September collapse of the pitching staff.  If Tito is the cause of allowing players to hit FL not physically ready, then he should go.  I believe that is the player's responsibility, not the manager.  Can't forget how many of this group were coming off 2010 injuries and wonder if that played a role. One other thought - I'm amazed that more blame has not been targeted toward the prized pitching coach lured away from Oakland.
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan[/QUOTE]
    What prize pitching coach? Have not seen him all year. Francona wanted  him by this side because he was a friend and Francona stated that he needed someone that he knew to be able to work well together. Well, I ask, how has that worked out this year huh? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]During the summer months when the team was running smoothly for the most part, games were lost because Tito refused to retire pitchers who were out of steam.  He did it again yesterday with Becket.
    Posted by lscheue[/QUOTE]
    That he did and he did this same thing when he was the manager in Philly. One of the big reasons he was fired there. Fans from Philly do not like Francona at all. He stated recently that he had promised himself to be "true to himself" when he got another job. Well, well, here we have it...Francona being true to himself and what he believes in. His stubborness has cost us many games this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4412902. Show user_4412902's posts

In Response to Reason Why Terry Francona Will Be Fired:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure there are other lists out there, but I'm going to start this and I would like people to add on realistic reasons why. I'm going to come up with three to start, hopefully people agreeing with them. 1. County Club Attitude 2. His inability to call out any player, especially after the stuff John Lackey pulled on him. 3. Not starting Aceves this month, even though using him in games where the team has gone 2-6 and was brough into 8 games when they were behind.
    Posted by My Dads Brick[/QUOTE]

4. Never steal. Never bunt. 

5. Indifference to other temas stealing bases.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Francona is not worried about a job.     Ozzie Guillen has been let out of his contract in Chicago.     Terry Francona could still be managing the Sox.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]As an outsider here... I don't believe Tito should be fired. Is it his fault that Crawford, Beckett, Youkilis, Gonzalez, Lester, Lackey and the rest didn't perform to expectations or got injured? I don't think you can hold the manager accountable for that. He preps the players and puts them on the field. Then it's up to them. But one thing I have seen is that whenever Papi strikes out (which is pretty often lately) he gets this "oh crap, not again" look on his face, and his shoulders drop, and he mopes back to the dugout, dragging his bat in the dirt. Pardon me for saying this, but his attitude is clearly that the season has been over for the Sox for a long time. You wouldn't see that from Pedroia. And it's contagious. Where's the fire in the belly, Boston? Who's the leader on the team that kicks everyone's butt? Who's the cheerleader? Varitek? The silent one? It's not the manager. It has to come from the players. And I haven't seen it in a while. That's too bad, because I really love to watch the Yanks and Sox in the playoffs. Tampa can't even fill their darn stadium during a pennant race. They just aren't interesting. The Sox are. Keep Francona. He's been a terrific manager. But some of the players need an attitude adjustment.
    Posted by yankeefan11[/QUOTE]

Why is it some of the more sane posters on this board are Yankee fans? Very good points, 11.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4412902. Show user_4412902's posts

[QUOTE]During the summer months when the team was running smoothly for the most part, games were lost because Tito refused to retire pitchers who were out of steam.  He did it again yesterday with Becket.
    Posted by lscheue[/QUOTE]

He did it all season long<111

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDunn7661. Show JDunn7661's posts

[QUOTE]Here's some baseball 101 for you. You're in a game against the team that's chasing you and the game has gone into extra innings. They are the home team so if they score the game is over and you lose. They have a man on 3rd and there is one out. Their superstar, a guy that kills you every year, is coming to the plate. What do you do? - - - - - - You walk him right? You set up a double play and allow yourself to get out of the inning with one pitch. That's easy. Francona can't even make that move. He pitched to Evan Longoria with a runner on 3rd and one out. Longoria hit a gamewinning sac fly to center and we lost to the Rays, again. There is no logic for not walking Longoria there. None. In fact, I would have walked Zobrist if it were Longoria on deck too. You just have to give yourself the option of a double play if they happen to hit a ground ball. This isn't hard stuff, yet Tito misses it on a daily basis.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

Agree wholeheartedly with the poster who provided a strong and rational case as to why the field manager of the Red Sox should not be fired.   Outsiders looking in clearly have a more objective perspective and are not inclined to have an agenda.  It's easy to isolate the manager when a team has underperformed for a month or two and ignore the fact that they performed at a very high level for years.  If Francona is indeed on the chopping block, one has to wonder who would the fans welcome with open arms to replace him?   If Francona loses his job, it will be the result of many factors which he could not individually influence nor control rather than incompetence.   The only reason to let him go would be a public relations splash to convince many of those who are mentally challenged members of Red Sox Nation that the team needed a change and had to make the move to get the team "headed in the right direction" whatever that means.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg1. Show lifelongsoxdawg1's posts

No way.. Make Joe Maddon an offer he can't refuse....Look what he has done not only in the previous years, but this year after loosing many of his premier players to free agency and trades. Get rid of Curt Young as well

[QUOTE]I would love to see them get somebody like Ozzie Guillen. Would change a lot of attitudes on this club. Being a long time Red Sox fan what is happening ain't nothing new.
    Posted by ANONMD08[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]He is a great manager for an unestablished team trying to get back on track, but he has a hard time managing established, well-paid and respected players.
    Posted by SOXNVA[/QUOTE]

So, were you dropped on your head as a kid?

Francona came to the Sox in '04, taking over a team that was a hanging knuckleball from the previous World Series.  That's an "unestablished team trying to get back on track?"  Really?

He took 2 highly paid veteran teams to 2 World Series Championships.  So you say "he has a hard time managing established, respected, well-paid players?"  Have you looked at the 04 andd 07 rosters?

Could you possibly be any more clueless?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Here is a reason: Batting Jed Lowrie clean-up. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Here's a reason, the oldest reason in baseball. You can't fire all the players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

if we dont make it to the play offs he and curt young will be looking for a jobelswere, bozo the clown wouldnt have given up so many games this month. terrable managing and coaching, should have hired farrell to manage last year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

To me firing Tito would not be a good idea. Has he made bad decisions, yes but being a manager here is almost like a no win situation unless the Sox win the WS. This is a tough place to manage and once he is gone the Sox may find that they will be stuck in that revolving door managerial situation, ie a new manager every 2-3 years. The most stable teams over the years have had long term managers. Look at how good the Atlanta Braves were over the years with Cox. They were consistently good and won a WS. As much as we all would like the team to win it every year, it is not possible. Over the last 10 years the Sox are the only team to win twice. The knee jerk reaction would be to fire Tito but IMHO it would be the wrong move. To me this is more on Theo because building a fantasy baseball team does not guarantee anything, the Yanks and Mets have tried that and failed. Building a team is more about chemistry and heart.