reasoned waiting vs panicked ship jumping

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

reasoned waiting vs panicked ship jumping

GM all...i was reading the courage thread(and looking at the standings) and wanted to give it a bit of a different spin,i'll start by saying i realize fan's expectations when a team goes into a season with a lot of hype and lots of promise, but then sometimes things go wrong, opinions are going to eventually differ, some people are willing to wait it out, some people go the we suk, this season's over route...as a fan it's tough to watch your team scuffle for spans at a time..so my question to everyone is...what do you feel is a reasonable amount of time to wait for the team to kick it in gear?, and at what point would YOU be able to admit to yourself dang, it's not gonna happen this year(outside of mass injuries and mathematical elimination) and would there EVER be a good time to outright jump ship?(silly, i know)...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: reasoned waiting vs panicked ship jumping

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

GM Jete ... for me, it's hard to quantify. As the Sox struggled in April, I was concerned but not panicking. The fact that you guys weren't playing .650 ball helped. And even now, one game under .500, we're 3 1/2 games out of first place.

Basically, what I'm saying is I'll never jump ship.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

GM Jete .... I guess I'm one of those fans who will believe in the Red Sox until they're mathematically eliminated.I get frustrated,aggravated and concerned at times,but with every new game comes new hope.
        I have a hard time understanding those who write the team off because they're going through a bad spell this early in the season.Like Lloyd said,it's still May and they're only 3 1/2 games back despite the poor start.Lots of baseball left to be played.Hopefully NY and Boston will clash in the postseason.It's still the greatest rivalry in sports IMHO.
        Win,lose or draw,I'm going to kick back and enjoy the season with all it's ups and downs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I didn't panic, but maybe should have because the starting pitching looked worse than last year.  Fortunately, that turned around very quickly, leaving only the bullpen and timely hitting to worry about.  Now it's timely hitting.

The remaining worry is that both the Yankees and the Rays are ahead of us and playing good ball.  It sure would be nice if the Indians could cool that red hot Rays down.  And this weekend the Sox have a shot at the Yankees.

So far, an absolutely fascinating season.  Actually, a pretty bumpy flight.  But there have been some good moments, with a promise of more to come. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Jete, I guess i never panic.  Because, as I said in that Courage Thread:  the number 1 rule of baseball is Ya Just Never Know.  It is a game of streaks and slumps, crests and troughs.  I think at some point in any given year (though thankfully not often in recent memory), i do hit a point where the math of the situation has me in Wait Til Next Year mode.  But that only happens when the math tells me it is hopeless.  But never 'til late summer, and most certainly, NEVER IN APRIL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Silly to panic, esp. now that Crawford has two walk-offs and is finding his way...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

thanks guys, a lot of great views...i just couldn't imagine being such a defeatist two, three weeks into a season, i know the Yanks are sitting in a pretty good spot, but also knowing the team's issues and knowing how baseball just is at times, i won't take anything as gospel..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

It's such a long season.  One week you think your team is never going to win again, the next week you think they are never going to lose.  Time and time again we have seen teams ten games back in August make the playoffs and even win the World Series (Sox in 2004 come to mind, Yankees in 1978, etc.).  Some people may remember the Miracle Boston Braves from 1914.  So four games back in April or May is no reason to panic, especially if you think you have a good team just going through a bad patch. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: reasoned waiting vs panicked ship jumping:
    Silly to panic, esp. now that Crawford has two walk-offs and is finding his way...
    Posted by summerof67
    well, hopefully he and AG will regress in say...........the next 4-5 days or so..Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Re: reasoned waiting vs panicked ship jumping : well, hopefully he and AG will regress in say...........the next 4-5 days or so..
    Posted by jete02fan

Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Hey Jete

I didn't buy into all that off season hype so I don't have the overblown expectations that some have.

No one in the AL East has made claim to be top dog. The yanks are 5 and 5 in their last ten games, the jays and o's will slowly sink to the bottom and the rays will hang in there.

I believe the sox will rise to the top around the all star break, the rays will run out of gas so the sox and yanks will duke it out for the top spot.

But I could be wrongLaughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let's face it.....  This goes back to the age old question??? "Born or bred?"

As born Red Sox fans, it's in our DNA to ALWAYS be worried!!!

Also in our DNA, is the fight or fight mechanism!!!!  NEVER SAY DIE!!!!!

We're so much like that knight in the Monte Python & the Holy Grail movie.........

***  One arm?  NO PROBLEM!  One arm & one leg?  Please!  No arms?  Bring it!!

:)  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Let's face it.....  This goes back to the age old question??? "Born or bred?" As born Red Sox fans, it's in our DNA to ALWAYS be worried!!! Also in our DNA, is the fight or fight mechanism!!!!  NEVER SAY DIE!!!!! We're so much like that knight in the Monte Python & the Holy Grail movie......... ***  One arm?  NO PROBLEM!  One arm & one leg?  Please!  No arms?  Bring it!! :)  :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog

Dunno d-dog.  the first part of you analysis and second part are two very different thoughts.  the none-shall-pass knight clearly never worries, even as blood is spurting out of his severed limb sockets.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: reasoned waiting vs panicked ship jumping : Dunno d-dog.  the first part of you analysis and second part are two very different thoughts.  the none-shall-pass knight clearly never worries , even as blood is spurting out of his severed limb sockets.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

:)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Yes, the Celtics can win 3 straight. Just one game at a time. If they win game 5, which they will, they series move to Boston for game 6. They will not look back from there on since they will have the momentum. They will pull it, win game 6 and tough it out in game 7 with a shocking victory.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Yes, the Celtics can win 3 straight. Just one game at a time. If they win game 5, which they will, they series move to Boston for game 6. They will not look back from there on since they will have the momentum. They will pull it, win game 6 and tough it out in game 7 with a shocking victory.
    Posted by ChiefEddie1028
    the Celtics board is two doors down..

Sections
Shortcuts