Rebuild Blueprints - Lester/Lackey/Uehara OUT - Stanton IN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Rebuild Blueprints - Lester/Lackey/Uehara OUT - Stanton IN

That's the basics.

Oakland and Chicago just set the market to some degree. The Sox are holding 2 pitchers who are better than Samardzjqxkja in Lackey (arguably) and Lester. 

Cherrington has time to shop around and see what he can get for the Lackey, Lester, Uehara in packages with lesser, potentially attractive guys like AJP and Gomes. Not all to one team, obviously. I could see 4 teams getting those 5 players in different deals. They would likely land a few top rpospects in the Lackey and Lester deals...and an outside chance with Uehara, especially if the Sox throw in rabbit's foot Gomes and cash.

Take those presumed draft picks...add in what is perceived as a fairly strong Sox farm...and go get Stanton.

He's 24, he's been in the majors since he was 20, and he has all the makings of a star. In Fenway...he has extreme-superstar potential as a right handed, power bat. You RARELY get a chance to add a player of HIS caliber at THIS age. It's going to become more rare in the future as team's have gotten a LOT smarter about service time. This is undeniable. When you have chance to get a player like this, you do it. The Sox are also in a unique position to do it...they aren't going anywhere, have the assets, or can get them, are in a market that can pay to keep him and actually pay to put a team around him.

In the world of stupid absurd baseball money...HE'S the guy I'll then give 8 years and 200 million to. He can hit FA when he's 33, and the Sox get 4-8 prime years.

Even after dealing for him, some of the Owens/Renaudo/Cecchini/Vazquez/Swihart/Betts/JBJ/Boagarts/WMB would still be around, or potentially some other young guys from the deals above.

Then in 2 years, when your cornerstone Stanton in 26...you can see where you're really at. Ortiz will probably be making 10million as a bench coach, Napoli will be washed up...and Pedroia will be doing what he's always done...beating the heck out of his 5'5", 130lbs frame.

Hopefully a few of your kids actually pan out, and then you can add the ONE OR TWO pieces you need. 

Or...you be the Celtics...and stretch it out and hold on and hope for the best and "well, there's no better options" your way to the cellar, and then try to figure out W T F to do and you try to lose and even that doesn't work.

Or...you be the Patriots. Make tough decisions for the betterment of the team. Grit your teeth, swallow hard, and move on. Sometimes you take a step back, but never for long, because you never dug yourself into too deep of a hole.

The Sox, to me, are in a shallow grave right now. They can escape it...or they can dig in. 

I've made my desire clear, and I've laid out my plan on how to do it. It's not unrealistic at all...in fact, it's perfectly reasonable. The only question is if the Sox would actually be willing to pull it off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Rebuild Blueprints - Lester/Lackey/Uehara OUT - Stanton IN

If you want Stanton......It's more realistic to talk about trading for him in the Winter. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

How are we getting Stanton again?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

What if the Cubs want to go after him? He's a beast, and some of the names thrown out to get this guy with 2 and half years of team control is funny. He's is going to cost a lot. If the Sox value their picks, better off going Free Agent route.
    I'd bet they would still would want Bogaerts to start the talks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If you want Stanton......It's more realistic to talk about trading for him in the Winter. 

When you talk Stanton... You talk sneak attack and grab him before Yankees know what hit them.....Never ever wait around to let Yanks in on the process. Never could you beat Yanks when bidding war starts. Winter is when the evil empire warms up the wallet and gets first picks on any available target.Stanton and Lester in pin strips would not be a problem at all .Sox could counter with signing Bartolo Colon. Take that Yankees !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I can live with that. But you have to get the assets now.

Looking at blockbuster trades of the past shows us that it usually favors the team who gets the star at the right age. People love going back 30 years and fear repeating Bagwell...but that's just it, the scariest example happened 30 years ago.

Usually, when looking back at the trades, those "top prospects" turn out very mixed. Adrian Gonzalez...Rizzo - good. Kelly - bust, as the can't miss pitcher. They also got a very young player who is yet to be determined, but is no stud. I don't know what SD got for Rizzo when they flipped him to Chicago. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

When you talk Stanton... You talk sneak attack and grab him before Yankees know what hit them.....Never ever wait around to let Yanks in on the process. Never could you beat Yanks when bidding war starts. Winter is when the evil empire warms up the wallet and gets first picks on any available target.Stanton and Lester in pin strips would not be a problem at all .Sox could counter with signing Bartolo Colon. Take that Yankees !!!!

Yankees don't have the farm to trade for 1/2 of Stanton

Stanton is not a free agent during the winter.

Miami is going for it this year, so they will demand a much much much larger return and have stated he's not on the market.

Your post is irrelevant as the NYY won't be able to compete with us for Stanton this offseason.  You don't just overpay for a guy because you can in a year you aren't competing.  That's like wiping your a@@ with 100 dollar bills and paying someone $5,000 to mow your lawn just because you won the lottery.  That's stupid, and the Sox should wait till the offseason when trading for a guy like Stanton makes much more sense and the other team is presumably going to be much more open to listening. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I can live with that. But you have to get the assets now.

Looking at blockbuster trades of the past shows us that it usually favors the team who gets the star at the right age. People love going back 30 years and fear repeating Bagwell...but that's just it, the scariest example happened 30 years ago.

Usually, when looking back at the trades, those "top prospects" turn out very mixed. Adrian Gonzalez...Rizzo - good. Kelly - bust, as the can't miss pitcher. They also got a very young player who is yet to be determined, but is no stud. I don't know what SD got for Rizzo when they flipped him to Chicago. 

kelly was actually doing very well before he got injured (still very young, way way way to early to call abust)  Rizzo looks like he could just be getting better and better and is on his first all-star team, Fuentes shot back into prospectum status last year and is currently looking much better on a rehab assignment after a rough start in AAA.  Then again, we got one good year out of AGON then traded him for Webster/RDLR and a ton of salary relief so you could call that trade a win win. 

While I generally like the ideal of "trading for chips now to make a deal in the winter" philosophy, I do have one concern about it.  You are talking about 1/2 or 1/3 or 2/3 2/4 type of deals for prospects.  Generally speaking the closer a player is to the majors the higher his prospect value is going to be. Those guys will have to be protected from the rule 5 draft or we would lose them.  

Yes we plan on trading them, but then we are in a position were we almost have to trade them, any time you are putting yourself into a position of need, you are pulling some of your leverage. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

That's the basics.

Oakland and Chicago just set the market to some degree. The Sox are holding 2 pitchers who are better than Samardzjqxkja in Lackey (arguably) and Lester. 

Cherrington has time to shop around and see what he can get for the Lackey, Lester, Uehara in packages with lesser, potentially attractive guys like AJP and Gomes. Not all to one team, obviously. I could see 4 teams getting those 5 players in different deals. They would likely land a few top rpospects in the Lackey and Lester deals...and an outside chance with Uehara, especially if the Sox throw in rabbit's foot Gomes and cash.

Take those presumed draft picks...add in what is perceived as a fairly strong Sox farm...and go get Stanton.

He's 24, he's been in the majors since he was 20, and he has all the makings of a star. In Fenway...he has extreme-superstar potential as a right handed, power bat. You RARELY get a chance to add a player of HIS caliber at THIS age. It's going to become more rare in the future as team's have gotten a LOT smarter about service time. This is undeniable. When you have chance to get a player like this, you do it. The Sox are also in a unique position to do it...they aren't going anywhere, have the assets, or can get them, are in a market that can pay to keep him and actually pay to put a team around him.

In the world of stupid absurd baseball money...HE'S the guy I'll then give 8 years and 200 million to. He can hit FA when he's 33, and the Sox get 4-8 prime years.

Even after dealing for him, some of the Owens/Renaudo/Cecchini/Vazquez/Swihart/Betts/JBJ/Boagarts/WMB would still be around, or potentially some other young guys from the deals above.

Then in 2 years, when your cornerstone Stanton in 26...you can see where you're really at. Ortiz will probably be making 10million as a bench coach, Napoli will be washed up...and Pedroia will be doing what he's always done...beating the heck out of his 5'5", 130lbs frame.

Hopefully a few of your kids actually pan out, and then you can add the ONE OR TWO pieces you need. 

Or...you be the Celtics...and stretch it out and hold on and hope for the best and "well, there's no better options" your way to the cellar, and then try to figure out W T F to do and you try to lose and even that doesn't work.

Or...you be the Patriots. Make tough decisions for the betterment of the team. Grit your teeth, swallow hard, and move on. Sometimes you take a step back, but never for long, because you never dug yourself into too deep of a hole.

The Sox, to me, are in a shallow grave right now. They can escape it...or they can dig in. 

I've made my desire clear, and I've laid out my plan on how to do it. It's not unrealistic at all...in fact, it's perfectly reasonable. The only question is if the Sox would actually be willing to pull it off.

Who are our pitchers in 2015 then? Peavy, Doubront, and Buchholz? No thanks.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I still get a kick out of the Globe always putting Ben C's picture above an article involving wheeling and dealing. Ben C'S the gopher; Lucchino's mug is what should be shown. Good, bad, or indifferent, he runs the FO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

gee...can we get king felix, trout, and McCutcheon too???!!!!

other names i have posted under:  none

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

gee...can we get king felix, trout, and McCutcheon too???!!!!

other names i have posted under:  none

Only if John Henry sells his wife.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

I still get a kick out of the Globe always putting Ben C's picture above an article involving wheeling and dealing. Ben C'S the gopher; Lucchino's mug is what should be shown. Good, bad, or indifferent, he runs the FO.

And what evidence of this do you have?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Is it still too late to trade boggy and middle brooks for Stanton?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

What if the Cubs want to go after him? He's a beast, and some of the names thrown out to get this guy with 2 and half years of team control is funny. He's is going to cost a lot. If the Sox value their picks, better off going Free Agent route.
    I'd bet they would still would want Bogaerts to start the talks.

+1

The Cubs likely could offer a more attractive package of prospects (and Xander Bogaerts' trade value is probably less now than it was four months ago).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Why would you give up on Bogey this early into his career.  He's 21, and has realistically had one bad month????????????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Unless that GM is braindead it has to start with Bogaerts, yesterday X-man hit a ball off his fist, and drove it all the way to Center, on the warning track.
    Stanton is going to cost a lot, just because of team control, X-Man has the potential to be great, played in Majors, helped in winning a WS, and has a lot of team control.
    Slumps mean nothing to me,(He's a rookie) potential and team control starts it. I would hate to lose X-Man, but I cant help think, it doesn't start there for the BEAST.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

not really....i could now start thinking of that trade.  IF they do, Cecchini can be call up and play 3b.  He is no difference than Bogarets and Middy at this time of the year.  Then for SS, maybe resign Drew.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

By the way I started calling Stanton a beast after that HR in June. That was unreal, for a 24 year older. That was Rice like. What would you give up for a 24 year old Jim Rice? Middlebrooks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

not really....i could now start thinking of that trade.  IF they do, Cecchini can be call up and play 3b.  He is no difference than Bogarets and Middy at this time of the year.  Then for SS, maybe resign Drew.  

Cecchini can barely hit in AAA and is worse on defense,  Bogaerts has had a bad slump for a month.  Cecchini would be a huge step down right now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Common sense. Why? Who do you think runs it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Yes, and it will be too late forever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That's not evidence.  If it was "common sense" then that would be an easy answer

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

So we got Stanton?

Yeah, HARRY DEAN STANTON. He's only 76 years old.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

That's not evidence.  If it was "common sense" then that would be an easy answer

Not all answers have to be complicated. Lucchino wanted Bobby V, Ben C didn't. Does that help?

Sections
Shortcuts