Rebuild.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

Rebuild.

i am not from Boston or the east coast.i am from near Pennsylvania.I am a lifetime Sox fan though.I would love to have seen the Sox go with a little younger team as in prospects then signing people for money that is just spent to fill positions.I would say they could save the money that they had use close to blossoming players and then next year if the choices are better then use the money then.i watch as much as i can on nesn.i have been to Fenway once.the ticket prices were high but being there was a dream come true.i would think that the Sox could have used linares in right field and brentz in left.iggy at shortstop.i would be ok with a subpar year if it gave the minor league players a chance.if they aren't what we think they should be we dfa them or trade them.but shouldn't we give our prospects a chance to play to see what they can do.The yankees have done this for years in that they get the best players for the highest money and haven't won too many titles in the last ten years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Rebuild.

If the Sox start Linares and Brentz, "subpar" is expecting a lot

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Our minor leaguers aren't ready.  We're a year away.  If you want to give them a chance, then you can give them a chance in 2014, when they have a better chance of being ready.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Brentz has 18 PAs in AAA, and struck out ~ 30% of the time in AA.  I have doubts if he'll ever be a MLB regular, but throwing in the guy now and he'll likely strikeout 180+ times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Brentz has 18 PAs in AAA, and struck out ~ 30% of the time in AA.  I have doubts if he'll ever be a MLB regular, but throwing in the guy now and he'll likely strikeout 180+ times.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

In response to bosoxhero's comment:

i was just saying that if the minor leaguers want some hope that when they are ready they are gven a chance to succeed.What about Sands?Is he ready,He hit well in triple a for the Dodgers.What is the point of getting prospects if you don't let them play.THey are cheaper with more of an upside than expensive free agents.They are excitied to be playing for the big club.they give their all.I say give them a chance like they used to before free agency.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Given the derth of ready for prime time prospects in our system. The Sox are rebuilding the club with proven major league players. Which is the prudent approach in the near term .If and when they have a prospect that's ready to contribte at the major league level they'll likely give him a shot.

Brentz is a kid that has potential but has yet to take one swing at the big league level and still has work to do @ AAA. My guess is that if he shows himself ready this year. We'll see him in September for his preverbial cup of coffee and if he shows well. The next step is for him to get an invite to spring training next year with the big club with a legit shot to make some noise. No sense in rushing them to the big leagues before they're ready.

That said, prospects can also serve as valued chips in the aquisition of players that fit a team need so in the interest of it makes little sense to rush any of htem and hinder their development or devalue them by promoting them and then having them fall short...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Our minor leaguers aren't ready.  We're a year away.  If you want to give them a chance, then you can give them a chance in 2014, when they have a better chance of being ready.

I agree with your statment 99.9 % . For the .1 % Next year the Sox can do something or be a total dud. The following season I will be predicting a playoff team.

The scary part the other teams in the east div. is not getting worst. The possibilty that three teams from this div. could actually be post season bound.

The Rangers, A's and Angels in the west can also be playoff bound. The Tigers are the heavy favorites to win their Div. with very little competition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Last year, they were a year away. Next year, they will be a year away.
    On and on it goes, where it stops, nobody knows!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

i was just saying that if the minor leaguers want some hope that when they are ready they are gven a chance to succeed.What about Sands?Is he ready,He hit well in triple a for the Dodgers.What is the point of getting prospects if you don't let them play.THey are cheaper with more of an upside than expensive free agents.They are excitied to be playing for the big club.they give their all.I say give them a chance like they used to before free agency.

Sands was a very good hitter in the PCL.  however PCL batting averages are like SAT scores - you get 200 points for showing up.   That said, I would say Sands has a ceiling of maybe a Miike Cuddyer at the plate.   Of course, that is the ceiling, not the expectation.  My expectation is he would be a right-handed Matt Joyce without the defense

Bryce Brentz has a ceiling a little lower say like a Delmon Young.  Think MLB Delmon, not minor league Delmon the All World Prospect, but rather the one he became who was a pretty bad washout and fairly mediocre hitter.  And again, I am talking "ceiling" here.  My expectations for Brentz are a little lower - think Nate Schierholtz with a little more power...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Nothing really bad about his resume.  He didn't hit with the LAD, but the sample size is small.  It's always a warning sign to me when a team that might've wanted a 1B and/or an OF at various times, didn't choose Sands.

If they thought Sands was a player, then why did they give so many ABs to Rivera and Gwynn, and even traded for Abreu.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts