Red Sox 2013 Current Payroll? North of 150 million yet? Contender Yet?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Red Sox 2013 Current Payroll? North of 150 million yet? Contender Yet?

Right now is probably around 140 a little lower but still looking for infield help. They will probably add a UIF and a lefty first base/ third base guy.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Can someone please provide a link to an actual accurate figure on what the Red Sox 2013 payroll figure will be? And no matter what the payroll amount is, how can we know before the season begins if the Red Sox are contenders?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

"Name the other teams with around 150 million or more labor costs over the last 4 years and have zero playoff wins?"

Well, to start with the redsox have only had around $150 million payroll for the last 3 years, 2010-2012.  And the yankees are the only other team that fits this criteria, so I guess you have a good point, the redsox are the only team out of the two teams in the category without any playoff wins in the last 3 years.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Think you can create yet another thread saying the same thing? Maybe its because they all get burried at the bottom because nobody really cares to post too much on them, so you have to create new ones...Got it...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

softlaw can't live without seeing his name on the front page.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Name the other teams with around 150 million or more labor costs over the last 4 years and have zero playoff wins?

A fair question.  This is why I do not believe that spending money is the problem.  I think the problem has been how the sox have spent money (Crawford).

There is a correlation between payroll and success.  OVer the last 10 years , teams that have been in the top 50% in payroll have accumulated more wins than teams in teh bottom 50%.

There is a chance that neither the ANgels nor the Dodgers make the WS.  A very good chance.  However, its about giving yourself the highest probability to win.  I hate the arguemetns: look at the O's  and the As.  This only proves that the correlation between winning and payroll isnt 1:1, but it doesnt prove that no correlation exists.  In order to prove that spending money doesnt help (impossible, because it does) you would need to compile years worth of data.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Name the other teams with around 150 million or more labor costs over the last 4 years and have zero playoff wins?

A fair question.  This is why I do not believe that spending money is the problem.  I think the problem has been how the sox have spent money (Crawford).

There is a correlation between payroll and success.  OVer the last 10 years , teams that have been in the top 50% in payroll have accumulated more wins than teams in teh bottom 50%.

There is a chance that neither the ANgels nor the Dodgers make the WS.  A very good chance.  However, its about giving yourself the highest probability to win.  I hate the arguemetns: look at the O's  and the As.  This only proves that the correlation between winning and payroll isnt 1:1, but it doesnt prove that no correlation exists.  In order to prove that spending money doesnt help (impossible, because it does) you would need to compile years worth of data.

Here is a link to a Fangraphs article on this topic.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2012-payrolls-and-wins/

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

anyone can win the world series once they QUALIFY for the playoffs....getting there over 162 games and  having as many flaws as the Sox have is impossible....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Moneyball Part II, featuring the Boston Red Sox

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

From about 2002-2009 the Red Sox, Yanks, and Angels always had the top 3 A.L. payrolls and almost always made the playoffs.  Payroll doesn't guarantee success but high payroll is far and away a better predictor of success than low payroll.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Edgarpost's comment:

The post season is a crapshoot. How well you do then is based on how hot the team is coming into it. Of course pitching will prevail if you have three studs who can shut down agreat offense but sometimes the offense that is currently on fire will be huge. During the 162 game, one can conclude that payroll = wins.

Where did you steal that thought from?

Sections
Shortcuts