Red Sox: 2013 Draft

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Red Sox: 2013 Draft

In response to thepeskypole6's comment:

The Cubs want Appel bad. He is not getting by them.

Yeah, I agree. Appel and Grey will be gone to Houston and the Cubs at #1 and #2. Bryant will probably be gone too, who is the kid I wanted. They are high on another 3b, Colin Moran and LHP Sean Manaea. My geuss is they go with a College kid in the 1st round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

MLB 2013 draft: Clint Frazier, potential future Red Sox?

By Marc Normandin on May 10 2013, 12:30p

A well-rounded outfielder with center field potential could be an impressive haul for Boston at #7.

Jim Callis writes for Baseball America, and as a Baseball Americaprospect expert would do at this time of year,released a mock draft on Thursday. It's always exciting to see who prospect analysts think is going to be end up selected by the Red Sox, but with Boston choosing in the top-10 for the first time since 1993, when Trot Nixon got the nod at #7, things are that much more intriguing: high-end talents reside here, the kind the Red Sox aren't always able to draft, and the right selection could make 2012 almost seem worth it.

Callis has picked Loganville High School outfielder Clint Frazier as Boston's pick at #7 in the June amateur entry draft. It's no surprise given he's projected at #7 and will be just 18 years old on draft day, but Callis describes him as a "high-ceiling" talent that would allow the Red Sox to "maximize the opportunity" given to them with this early selection.

Frazier has been given quite a bit of attention, again, not surprising for a potential top-10 pick. ESPN's Keith Law discussed him in a minute-long segment on ESPN earlier in the month, video of which we've embedded below:

Law says that Frazier has some of the "best bat speed I have ever seen from an amateur prospect." He's likely to move to an outfield corner according to Law, which one ultimately determined by how the tendinitis he's dealing with turns out -- if the arm is in good shape, then right field is a definite possibility. He's raw, as you'd expect, but as Baseball Prospectus' Nick Faleris details, there are plenty of reasons to like his potential.

On the 20-80 scouting scale, Faleris grades Frazier's future hit tool at 50-55, with his future power at 60. His arm, defense, and speed are all in the same neighborhood, giving the impression that Frazier, while he might not excel at any single thing, could turn into a very well-rounded, and very productive, major-league outfielder if he develops as expected. Unlike Law, Faleris thinks Frazier possesses the tools to become an above-average center fielder as he becomes more accustomed to playing the outfield. Like Law, he loves the bat speed, saying Frazier has "the best bat speed in the entire draft class" and is already showing off impressive in-game power despite his amateur status.

An outfielder with the potential to be a quality hitter with above-average defense in center, and more than enough offense to handle a corner should that initial plan fail? It's understandable why Callis believes the Sox could be interested. There are sure to be plenty of other names thrown out between today and the actual June draft, but unlike in past years, they won't have to necessarily hope someone they want slips through the cracks, as they did with Anthony RanaudoJackie Bradley Jr., and even Deven Marrero.

For what it's worth, Callis sees theIndians, who select at #5, taking Braden Shipley, the college arm that Kiley McDaniel pegged for the Red Sox in his own mock earlier in the week. If these two were both to slip to #7, what would your preference be: high-school outfielder with center-field potential and incredible amateur bat speed, or potential high-ceiling arm with college experience and innings behind him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Manaea was looking good until he started throwing 88 mph recently. I don't think so.

More and more it looks like Moran or Frazier. I'd prefer the safer bet in Moran if he's still available. High school players are just a gamble and we don't get to pick this high often. I'd want a starting pitcher if a great one were available but Stanek looks like a reliever at some point to me and he's the best of the ones available in terms of college guys ( 2 others will definitely go 1 and 2 ).

Will they roll the dice on high school pitcher Stewart? It's possible. Bryant is probably the best college power guy available but he also has a long swing. Some guys put up tremendous numbers hitting fastballs and then can't hit a curve if their life depends on it. I'd probably take him if he were available though. Peterson is an option and Trey Ball. 

I like Philip Ervin but no one thinks he's a top 10 guy. I'd ask him if he will sign for a mil and if so draft him. He looks as good as any of the ones available to me and no one seems to give him much street cred at all. Great tools and pop. Fast enough to play CF and enough pop for RF. Former MVP of the Cape Cod league. He looks like he has a major league swing to me already. Can spray the ball with power to all fields. But virtually no one has him in the top 10. Oh well.

To me it's Frazier, Moran or Stewart unless they are in on someone I'm not aware of.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Baseball America's Jim Callis is hands down the draft prognostication king after last year. He seemed to almost run the table on the first round. I'm sure he missed quite a few but he nailed a lot of them. 

I have no problem with Frazier but he is relatively little, a high school guy and his defense doesn't look that strong to me. To be honest, I don't like this year's draft at least at the top level. Very few real studs available. I like the tools and my understanding is that he comes from a strong family. Lots of achievers. It's hard to believe his body provides that much pop but he is generally regarded as the #3 prospect. Why is he dropping to us at #7 then. Projectability?

To me, of the ones which might drop, Moran is the best example of a secure top pick. We don't want to mess this up. If a top college arm were available I'd roll the dice in a heartbeat but we are not going to get that opportunity. I don't like rolling the dice on high school bats. I would like a middle of the order power bat but so many of those guys have long swings and just cannot hit advanced pitching so it's risky. Moran is a mature college hitter, great approach. Some good pop and is about average in the field. And solid 3rd base prospects are at a premium still.

I just hope they get it right. We need a stud.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I would agree that it looks like Frasier, Moran, Shipley are the 3 odds on favorites at this time. With McGuire, Meadows, Stewart, and Manaea if he gets healthy the next most likely.

Frasier--The two things that scare me with Frasier are his arm and eye. Patience rarely developes with a hitter. He only has 8 walks this year compared to 14 homers. He might be a Reddick redux. Second, his arm might be noodlizing as I type. If it does and he doesn't have the jumps to stay in CF, then he becomes a LF. Which will waste his speed in front of the monster. He would be a more powerful Ellsbury-Crawford. Nice. But I would prefer Moran.

Moran--40-10 W/K rate. 12 HR's and 4 errors. Youngest Jr. who hasn't filled out yet. Can go the other way. My preffered player even though we don't "need" a 3rd baseman.

Shipley--My favorite pitcher now after Gray-Appel. Former SS as a freshmen. Supprisingly easy delivery. Room to fill out. Quality stats the last two years. Only concern is that I think he struck out only 1 and 2 guys his last two games. That bothers me. Want to see more K's to finish the season.

McGuire--Its hard to find anything to knock McGuire on. The 3 things I can come up with is that he is a catcher in high school. He is only 6-1. And his power potential is only "good". Everything else is off the charts.

He was the MVP of the under 18 national team. Excellent defense. Great plate discipline[19-2 this year]. Beautiful swing. Watched a batting practice and a homer contest with him and he made solid contact on every swing in both. Lefty, which we could use and is preffered in catchers. The surest looking high school catcher to me since Mauer.

Meadows--Stock seems to be slipping. Might be getting too tall-eventually big for CF. Maybe not as fast as advertised. Hasn't pulled a ball for a homer all season.

Still like Meadows and would be happy with him. And a big lefty that can go the other way in Fenway isn't the worst thing in the world. But I can understand why he has slipped a bit.

Stewart--The more I read and see of Stewart the less I like him. Saw a 5 minute video just the other day. Command wasn't great.  Also didn't like his effort in his delivery. Too much effort scares me. He is going only short stints after missing the start of the season with injury. This brings health and durability into question. Also, when you go limited innings it allows you to play up your stuff. And I think there were at least 3 starters from last years high school class with better stuff. Throw in diabetes and the fact he is a high school pitcher and I pass. Too many questions.

Manaea--Only if he gets his velocity back up to 94 at least 2 more times. Not likely.

I would rate them....

Moran
    Frasier
    McGuire
    Shipley
    Meadows
    Stewart
    Manaea???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Great posts SP, RSP & Bmav! 

It's been 2 decades since they had this high a pick, so I admit I'm a little excited. 

To the other, obviously you take the best player available And never draft based on position. Every teams' draft board is different though. 

Rotation vs Lineup isn't necessarily the same thing as say 3B vs OF for example. A nice power bat of any position w/ virtually the same arguable ranking as a nice SP... Is what i'm getting at. I'll be surprised if they dont draft a bat, not because its soo rare for them to draft this high. But because the best player available will be a bat. Is my hunch. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Without any question, you take the best player available, regardless of position. That will provide the most value, regardless of whether or not the player is used as currency to swap for a player at a position of weakness.

I agree.  I haven't studied it, but it seems like SPs retain value longer than positional players.  They probably fail about often, but I think their weaknesses can be hidden longer.  If someone can't hit or can't field, I think it evident real quick.  If a pitcher has holes that will hurt him in the long run, I don't think it hurts his value quite as quickly.  Again, it's kind of observational, but that's my rationale for liking SPs earlier, all things being equal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130510/mlb-mock-draft-2013-jonathan-gray-dave-perkin/

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2013/05/the-mock-2013-volume-iv/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Too bad MLB does not allow teams to trade draft picks. It might be interesting to imagine us trading our pick and a prospect or two to move up in the draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Too bad MLB does not allow teams to trade draft picks. It might be interesting to imagine us trading our pick and a prospect or two to move up in the draft.

Well, I guess with the compesation round, they kind of do in a roundabout way. Its just attached to a player with a QO and depending idf your the signing team or not depends if you lose a pick or gain a comp pick. But yeah, a straight up "Ill give you a 1st rounder and a 4th rounder for so and so" would be cool.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I hope Sox go after potential big bat who can grow up to be a #3, #4 guy in the lineup.  I think we have good pitching depth and we don't need another starter as our FIRST PICK.  I hope we get lucky to pick Kris Bryant. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Great posts SP, RSP & Bmav! 

It's been 2 decades since they had this high a pick, so I admit I'm a little excited. 

To the other, obviously you take the best player available And never draft based on position. Every teams' draft board is different though. 

Rotation vs Lineup isn't necessarily the same thing as say 3B vs OF for example. A nice power bat of any position w/ virtually the same arguable ranking as a nice SP... Is what i'm getting at. I'll be surprised if they dont draft a bat, not because its soo rare for them to draft this high. But because the best player available will be a bat. Is my hunch. 

Although this has nothing to do with the 1st player draft, The Sox seem to be really high on an IFA named Rafael Devers. Hes a 3b who is like 6'1 and 215, but still growing which might move him to 1b. Hes a LHH.  Im gonna google him and check in to him some more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I hope Sox go after potential big bat who can grow up to be a #3, #4 guy in the lineup.  I think we have good pitching depth and we don't need another starter as our FIRST PICK.  I hope we get lucky to pick Kris Bryant. 

I like him to SB, but I think hes going to go top 5. Another good bat is Moran, who would be more likely to be there at #7. But anything can happen.

Sections
Shortcuts