Red Sox 2013 payroll for luxury tax purposes - what will it be/what should it be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Red Sox 2013 payroll for luxury tax purposes - what will it be/what should it be?

As of today the Red Sox only have 5 players on the books for 2013 for an average salary for luxury tax purposes of $5 million or more-Lackey, Ortiz, Buchholz, Pedroia and Lester.  They total about $50 million.  If we assume Ellsbury gets about $10 million, that brings it to $60 million.  Add in the other guys that make up the 40 man roster, plus benefits and the other amounts for LT purposes, and we're up to about $100 million committed for 2013.  The LT threshold for 2013 is $178 million.  So we have roughly $80 million that could be added without going over the threshold.

How much are the Sox planning to add?  Cherington has already made some statements that the payroll will be large, one of the largest in baseball.  This seems like a reassurance to the fans, similar to the one Lucchino made before the 2011 season.  At that time Larry virtually promised the fans that the Sox would make two big additions.  Sure enough, the additions were AGon and Crawford.

The 2013 payroll situation is an interesting one.  One factor is that the rules change in 2014 to make any team going over the threshold, which increases to $189 million, subject to a second, new and substantial penalty on top of the tax.  So if the Sox were to stay well under the threshold for 2013, that doesn't necessarily mean they will spend their 'savings' in the future.  It seems like a more logical strategy would be to have a payroll that is under the threshold every year.

There's also the fact that fans are obviously expecting some significant moves after the 2012 debacle and the salary dump with the Dodgers.  A lot of people aren't going to be happy if the Sox decide to go cheap this year.

So how much will they add?  I'm guessing they will add between $50 million and $60 million before Opening Day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Red Sox 2013 payroll for luxury tax purposes - what will it be/what should it be?

I think Cherry told us what the FO thinks we want to hear about having a large payroll; they still treat us like idiots.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Red Sox 2013 payroll for luxury tax purposes - what will it be/what should it be?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As of today the Red Sox only have 5 players on the books for 2013 for an average salary for luxury tax purposes of $5 million or more-Lackey, Ortiz, Buchholz, Pedroia and Lester.  They total about $50 million.  If we assume Ellsbury gets about $10 million, that brings it to $60 million.  Add in the other guys that make up the 40 man roster, plus benefits and the other amounts for LT purposes, and we're up to about $100 million committed for 2013.  The LT threshold for 2013 is $178 million.  So we have roughly $80 million that could be added without going over the threshold.

How much are the Sox planning to add?  Cherington has already made some statements that the payroll will be large, one of the largest in baseball.  This seems like a reassurance to the fans, similar to the one Lucchino made before the 2011 season.  At that time Larry virtually promised the fans that the Sox would make two big additions.  Sure enough, the additions were AGon and Crawford.

The 2013 payroll situation is an interesting one.  One factor is that the rules change in 2014 to make any team going over the threshold, which increases to $189 million, subject to a second, new and substantial penalty on top of the tax.  So if the Sox were to stay well under the threshold for 2013, that doesn't necessarily mean they will spend their 'savings' in the future.  It seems like a more logical strategy would be to have a payroll that is under the threshold every year.

There's also the fact that fans are obviously expecting some significant moves after the 2012 debacle and the salary dump with the Dodgers.  A lot of people aren't going to be happy if the Sox decide to go cheap this year.

So how much will they add?  I'm guessing they will add between $50 million and $60 million before Opening Day.

[/QUOTE]

I think the Sox will spend up near the luxury tax limit.

What they spend it on is the big question. One that's already been dabated in numerous threads.

And to the folks that are convinced the Sox FO are going to take the saving they'd traded for and run; let's wait until the New Year rolls around to see if that's true.

Besides the Jays, no team has made any significant deals yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

My guess is Boston's payroll will be around $140 million by opening day.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not really understanding the question Hfxsoxnut

I don't see the new lux tax affecting any team other than the yanks

( they finally got it right, B4 this, it really only affected the sox )

and I don't know why anyone would think that the sox won't

get back to being close to the 189

[/QUOTE]

Good morning pinstripezac.   :)

The Yankees and Red Sox have a new rival in the AL East--the Toronto Blue Jays.  

The AL East is now one nasty division.  LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Cherry told us what the FO thinks we want to hear about having a large payroll; they still treat us like idiots.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think they would even consider trying to scam the fans to the point of lying about their intentions to have a big payroll.  For Henry and Lucchino to believe that the fans are mostly idiots, they would have to be idiots themselves, and I don't think they are.  Sure the sellout streak is bogus, but nobody really cares that much.  This would be much different.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not really understanding the question Hfxsoxnut

I don't see the new lux tax affecting any team other than the yanks

( they finally got it right, B4 this, it really only affected the sox )

and I don't know why anyone would think that the sox won't

get back to being close to the 189

[/QUOTE]

What I mean is that if not for the changes coming into effect, you could imagine the Sox having a smaller than usual payroll this year, and possibly making up for it by going over the threshold in 2014 or 2015.  But with the new penalties there is that much more incentive to never go over the threshold.  So if you go way under the threshold this year you're not going to be inclined to do the makeup thing.

Maybe I'm not explaining this very well.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think they will be somewhere in the 120-140M range but not signing Hamilton and/or Greinke makes me wonder where those big bucks will all go.  This is not a great FA crop except CF and the Sox already have Ells (unless they broker a trade which I doubt). 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Speaking of tax, (not to get off-topic), Reyes, Mark Buehrle, and Josh Johnson did not have to pay income tax while they were with the Marlins (since Florida has no income tax).

Since they were traded to Toronto, does this mean they will have to pay income tax?  

That would suck if they have to.  LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

greetings icecream

good times in toronto

hard times in yankeeland

we went from yrs of shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue

to now waiting for 50% off sales at walmart

[/QUOTE]

It is going to be a very busy offseason for Brian Cashman.  

But I think that Cashman will prepare a very competitive Yankees team for 2013 and beyond.   :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think fans should expect a gradual increase between this and next year.

I dont want them to spend just because they can. They need to spend on the right players and right now there isnt one long term deal I would consider. Lots of 1-2 and 3 year deals though.

I would expect a payroll around 130-140M this year and maybe up to 160-180 in 2014.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

160 to 170. I think they sign Ross, Hamlton, Berkman, trade for a pitcher, and extend pedey 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm guessing that it's the CBT, not the LT.

I'm guessing that you don't have a clue abut the CBT.

[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that CBT or Competitive Balance Tax and LT or Luxury Tax are the same thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

It's not much they spend,it's how smart they spend

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Berkman,

Isn't he in a wheelchair? Or is he in a dumpster? Or both? What would he cost, some debentures and IOY's?

[/QUOTE]

no probably a one year deal. Notice how i didn't say I want them to, I said they probably were going to. Also anyone over the age of 35 isn't a bad player, also EVERY team has guys you would call "in the dumpster", also your smug yet know noting posts are annoying AF to me and everyone on the board. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks' comment:
    [QUOTE]

160 to 170. I think they sign Ross, Hamlton, Berkman, trade for a pitcher, and extend pedey 

[/QUOTE]

Berkman is an interesting name. Still an OB machine. He played a ton of games in RF before the knee thing last year, so if healthy he could be a good option at 1b for one year.

Ive already said that if hamilton will do 3, mabye 4 years Id do it. If we could get 3 goos years out of him, Im ok not getting as much on the 4th if thats what it takes to land him. Id also include some protection in there for injuries and "falling off the wagon" again...

Ross on a 2yr with 3rd option is doable IMO.