Red Sox acquire Conor Jackson...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox acquire Conor Jackson...

... according to this report from the Globe's Peter Abraham:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/09/red_sox_acquire_6.html

http://twitter.com/#!/Athletics/status/109117817693016064

http://twitter.com/#!/JaneMLB/status/109118919079510016

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Red Sox acquire Conor Jackson...

I'm not going to supply a link but I will confirm the trade via MLBTR.com and it was for Jason Rice. Connor Jackson was a highly touted player when he was with the D'Backs. He at least offers a RH bat that can play all four corner spots.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Interesting in that Conor is eligible for the post season.
    Thanks for the info.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

he seems like a decent pick up. he can play lf, rf, 1b and 3b. he has some pop in his bat and hits well against lefties. one guy i would have like to see theo pick up was mike gonzalez. the sox pen is iffy at best and lacks a solid lefty. morales is hit or miss and with andrew miller going back into the rotation, the sox are left with only 1 lefty in the pen. outside of papelbon, bard and aceves, the sox are left with uncertainty in the pen. albers has been terrible lately, jenks is still on the DL, wheeler has been ok, etc. considering how little texas gave up for mike gonzalez, theo should have taken a shot on him. instead he signs a useless plug like trevor miller. typical inepstein.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Conor Jackson...:
    he seems like a decent pick up. he can play lf, rf, 1b and 3b. he has some pop in his bat and hits well against lefties. one guy i would have like to see theo pick up was mike gonzalez. the sox pen is iffy at best and lacks a solid lefty. morales is hit or miss and with andrew miller going back into the rotation, the sox are left with only 1 lefty in the pen. outside of papelbon, bard and aceves, the sox are left with uncertainty in the pen. albers has been terrible lately, jenks is still on the DL, wheeler has been ok, etc. considering how little texas gave up for mike gonzalez, theo should have taken a shot on him. instead he signs a useless plug like trevor miller. typical inepstein.
    Posted by redsoxpride34

So, Theo is not inepstein some of the time. Is that it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

he is ineptein for the most part. he has his rare moments where he manages to do something that may actually help the team. and calling a pick up "decent" is not giving much praise lol. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

Hey Redsoxpride, Why cant clowns like you be happy? Every GM makes mistakes but ours has done a great job during his tenure. Give it a rest. Team to beat in AL and solid chance at at World Championship. I will take it every year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Hey Redsoxpride, Why cant clowns like you be happy? Every GM makes mistakes but ours has done a great job during his tenure. Give it a rest. Team to beat in AL and solid chance at at World Championship. I will take it every year.
    Posted by coachzap

I agree.

Once players start never being worse than their best year then I'll starting blaming the GM more for picking up a schmow.  Guy can hit 330 one year and 240 the next, but it is the GM's fault.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

I am amazed at your clowns who continue to rake Theo, he is the most desirable GM in baseball.  You guys knowledge of baseball is close to zero.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yawn..........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I assume Jackson might get a chance to contribute over the next 6 weeks, but I thought Rice had a very intriguing arm. I did not have a chance to see him this year, but last year I was impressed. I thought he offered depth and a big arm in that 5,6,7 inning role that Jenks/Albers/Wheeler/Atch are used. I have never been an Albers fan. I do like Wheeler. I don't think Atch has the arm for the role needed. I assume that Jenks gets a clean slate next year. I was very un impressed in spring training with how out of shape Jenks was. He was obviously an injury waiting to happen.
    Like I said, I thought Rice offered intriguing depth at that elusive spot of depth in the pen that can crank it up to 95....kind of reminded me of MDC.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Doesn't look like he's played a full season since 2008. More walking wounded?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

I am amazed at your clowns who continue to rake Theo, he is the most desirable GM in baseball.  You guys knowledge of baseball is close to zero.
    Posted by nickarcese

well, i hope the cubs feel the same as you. please offer EINSTEIN a deal he can't refuse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Yawn..........
    Posted by tbrod

was the yawn about theo or conor jackson?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Both, Yazzer!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Posted by nickarcese

I completely disagree. It's less than zero.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Theo's has tried this lately, pick up faded former top prospects. You win some you lose some:

Jackson former 17th BBAmerica prospect - 
    Arizona OPS vs LHP  '07 .957    '08  .938

Salty
    Miller          6th pick draft
    Aviles          4th in ROY vote
    McDonald  26th pick draft
    Hermida      4th BBAmer
    Kotchman 13th pick draft
    Nava  Best player on his HS team.
    BHall Great pitcher in a blow-out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Doesn't look like he's played a full season since 2008. More walking wounded?
    Posted by Alibiike

you're optomisism and glass half full approach is freshing...err never mind...

30 games over .500 on pace for 100 wins and not enough...gezz you yanks fans are too much!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Not a bad move.  But I fear Jackson will turn out to be another Hermida/Kotchman.  Theo is right, he has more talent than he has shown.  And he WILL figure it out.  For the NEXT team he plays for.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not a bad move.  But I fear Jackson will turn out to be another Hermida/Kotchman.  Theo is right, he has more talent than he has shown.  And he WILL figure it out.  For the NEXT team he plays for.
    Posted by parhunter1

This pickup is just like when we got Bobby Kielty...ho hum, how'd that turn out?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Was Kielty pretty important in the post season for the Sox?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Was Kielty pretty important in the post season for the Sox?
    Posted by parhunter1

Boston Red Sox (2007)

On August 6, the Boston Red Sox signed Kielty to a minor-league deal, setting up his potential promotion as a fourth outfielder. On August 18, the Red Sox called Kielty up from Triple-A Pawtucket, following the trade of Wily Mo Peña to the Washington Nationals. He hit .237 with 2 HR and 5 RBI in 10 games with Pawtucket.

With Boston, Kielty saw limited action as the 4th outfielder, appearing in 20 games, hitting .231 with 1 HR and 9 RBI. He saw no action in the Red Sox playoff series against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, which the Red Sox swept. In the ALCS against the Cleveland Indians, Kielty played in games 1 and 5 due to his past success against Cleveland starter C.C. Sabathia, hitting .400 with 2 RBI, and helping the team advance to the World Series.

On October 28, in his only World Series at bat and on the first pitch, Kielty hit a pinch-hit solo home run in Game 4 of the 2007 World Series, which turned out to be the series-clinching game winner in the 4-3 final over the Colorado Rockies. He is the 21st player to hit a pinch-hit home run in the World Series.

On February 6, 2008, the Boston Globe reported that the Red Sox had re-signed Kielty to a one year non-guaranteed deal.[2] On March 31, 2008, Kielty accepted an assignment to the Pawtucket Red Sox rather than opt for free agency.[3] On April 25, the Boston Globe reported that Kielty had surgery on his left hand and would be out 4 to 6 weeks.[4] Kielty asked for and was granted his release from the Red Sox organization on July 13, 2008.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Jackson had three consecutive pretty good season for the DBacks, and fell off the face of the earth. Lots of injuries.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Thanks for the details.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Thanks for the details.
    Posted by parhunter1

Hey parhunter1,

what's the deal, you fire a bullet over the bow I respond in kind and that's the best you can do...

It's fine if you want to bash Epstein and make references to players that have played for the Sox and gone on and had success with other clubs that they never could've had with us...that's SOP for the naysayers that are always looking to find fault...end of the day the aquisition of Jackson could well amount to nothing...but it was a no brainer addition that cost us next to nothing and a move that could pay dividends if the kid makes our post season roster and comes off the bench and gets a big knock.

Oh by the way do you think the Twins would like a do over on big Papi? or how about the Marlins with Kevin Millar...Epstein has had his share of successes as well and do you think that if we'd have held on to Kotchaman that he would've beaten out Youk?

Sections
Shortcuts