Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard

The Sox acquire Bedard for Sea Dogs C Tim Federowicz and possibly other players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard

I had hoped we'd get better, but with Lavarnway and Salty, I don't think we will miss Fed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard:
    The Sox acquire Bedard for Sea Dogs C Tim Federowicz and possibly other players.
    Posted by redsox0426

Hope we give away some of our trash.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I think Seattle got a pretty good prospect for a questionable starter out on a rental deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard:
    I had hoped we'd get better, but with Lavarnway and Salty, I don't think we will miss Fed.
    Posted by moonslav59

Fed could turn out to be a great deal for the Mariners.  This was definately a "last second" desperation move by Theo but I hope it works.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

3-team deal with LAD

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Federowicz is gunna be a good player.  He'll be in the bigs.

Bedard seems to be more consistent than Harden so maybe Theo ended up getting the right guy after all.  The injury issues are still concerning though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

This player wasn't high on our depth list with Lavarnaway and Salty, good trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Maybe the 3 team deal is where someone got the idea that there was a second deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Who would the Red Sox realistically want from the Dodgers? Furcal was already traded to the Cardinals and Kuroda refused to waive his no-trade clause. Maybe Federowicz goes to the Dodgers and someone from the LA organization to Seattle?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The Sox also gave up an OF'er, Chiang from Portland.  Check out his stats this year.  Tearing it up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I wanted The Claw

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The Sox also gave up an OF'er, Chiang from Portland.  Check out his stats this year.  Tearing it up.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Chaing is a very good hitter, with a little more defensive work he may have a very good ML career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Like Abraham's tweet

Once had good stuff, hurt a lot since, makes John Lackey seem as cheerful as Kelly Ripa

Is this the Ripa on crack in the SNL skit?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

If the Red Sox got Trayvon Robinson, the deal is a coup for Boston. He's a switch-hitter putting up the following numbers at AAA: .293 AVG, 26 HR, 71 RBI, .375 OBA. He's only 24. He could be a long-term solution for RF, depending on his defense. I'd never heard of him before now but he looks really good:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=LF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=477054

Chiang and Federowicz for Bedard, Robinson and Fields sounds like a steal. Fields is struggling at AAA, but pitched well in AA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

this could be a reverse of the heathcliff slocumb for tek, etc. deal?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

If the Red Sox got Trayvon Robinson, the deal is a coup for Boston. He's a switch-hitter putting up the following numbers at AAA: .293 AVG, 26 HR, 71 RBI, .375 OBA. He's only 24. He could be a long-term solution for RF, depending on his defense. I'd never heard of him before now but he looks really good: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=LF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=477054 Chiang and Federowicz for Bedard, Robinson and Fields sounds like a steal. Fields is struggling at AAA, but pitched well in AA.
    Posted by davidap

I heard Robinson to the Mariners... besides, why would the Sox need yet another OF prospect?  I think Bedard and maybe Fields is it... Which is leaving me scratching my head because the Sox gave up 2 borderline if not 2 top tier prospects.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Rob Bradford

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

According to Gordon Edes...

3:14pm: This appears to be what's gone down, from Gordon Edes:

• Red Sox get: starter Erik Bedard, reliever Joshua Fields (both from Mariners)
    • Dodgers get: catcher Tim Federowicz, Juan Rodriguez, Stephen Fife (all from Red Sox)
    • Mariners get: outfielder Trayvon Robinson (from Dodgers), outfielder Chih-Hsien Chiang (from Red Sox)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Nevermind, it looks like Robinson went to Seattle. If that's the case, then the Mariners ended up the best here. They surrendered an injury-prone starter who was going to leave in 2 months anyway and a pitcher with a 6+ ERA in AAA for a 24 yearold power-hitting corner outfielder and another young outfielder with a high OPS at AA. The Red Sox still held onto their very best prospects, so it's not a terrible deal. I would have preferred to move someone like Lars Anderson or Michael Bowden instead.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard : I heard Robinson to the Mariners... besides, why would the Sox need yet another OF prospect?  I think Bedard and maybe Fields is it... Which is leaving me scratching my head because the Sox gave up 2 borderline if not 2 top tier prospects.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

TRobinson to Dodgers. Sox giving up prospects.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Like Abraham's tweet Once had good stuff, hurt a lot since, makes John Lackey seem as cheerful as Kelly Ripa Is this the Ripa on crack in the SNL skit?
    Posted by rickerd2

Erik Bedard is well-liked in Seattle, where the lefthander will likely returrn next season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsydla. Show jsydla's posts

what a waste of time.   bedard is going to crumble in the boston spotlight.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Seattle Mariners, in desperate need of hitting, got both Trayvon Robinson and Chih-Hsien Chiang, according to Gordon Edes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Hill, where did you read/hear about Bedard returning to Seattle next season? If Bedard is a pure rental, I don't like this deal as much as I would if he's a possibility for a contract extension. Despite the injury risks, the guy pitches like an ace when healthy (when healthy being a major caveat, of course).

Even if Bedard decides to leave, there will be other good free agent starters on the market this off-season. I've always liked Mark Buehrle. I doubt the White Sox will re-sign him, given their plethora of albatross contracts (Alex Rios and Adam Dunn, to name two).

Sections
Shortcuts