*RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

*RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*

Apr 15, 2011

By Sean McAdam
    CSNNE.com

BOSTON -- What had been rumored for months will be made official Friday -- the Red Sox and Adrian Gonzalez, according to sources, have agreed to a seven-year, $154 million contract extension.

A news conference to announce the deal is expected Friday afternoon.

Gonzalez, obtained from the San Diego Padres last December in exchange for four players, will sign the richest deal in total dollars ever given by Boston's current ownership. Manny Ramirez, who once landed an eight-year, $160 million deal with the Red Sox, was signed by the club's previous owners.

The contract is the second megadeal for the Red Sox in the last five months. At the winter meetings last December, a week after trading for Gonzalez, the Sox signed free-agent outfielder Carl Crawford to a seven-year, $142 million deal.

Earlier this week, the club also announced an four-year extension -- with two option years -- for pitcher Clay Buchholz, worth $30 million.

In the days following last December's trade, the Red Sox and agent John Boggs worked toward finalizing an extention for Gonzalez, who was under contract for one more season (2011) at a salary of $6.5 million.

When the trade was agreed upon, the sides were given a 48-hour window by Major League Baseball to come to terms on a new contract. That deadline passed, and the assumption was the deal would be scuttled. But they agreed to continue talks in the spring, and the Red Sox went ahead with the trade.

Boggs visited Fort Myers in late March to resume talks. The remaining issues, including finazling contract language and some performance bonuses, were completed this week, sources said.

While he was in Fort Myers, Boggs said he would be surprised if a deal didn't get done sometime during the first month of the season.

The deal includes a signing bonus.

For the Red Sox, there was incentive to delay the signing until after the start of the season. By doing so, they can use Gonzalez's $6.5 million salary toward the luxury tax computation for this year. Had the extension been agreed upon before Opening Day, the average annual value of the entite deal -- about $20 million for 2011 -- would have applied.

The delay also bought some time for the Red Sox to evaluate the condition of Gonzalez's right shoulder, which was surgically repaired last October, about six weeks before the trade took place.

Gonzalez, who will turn 29 next month, reported to spring training on time, but didn't appear in a Grapefruit League game until March 12. The Sox then had the better part of a month to determine that Gonzalez was fully healthy and not limited by his shoulder.

The first baseman has started all 11 games thus far this season and is hitting .268 with a home run and seven RBI.

The average annual value of the extension, $22 million, is the eighth-highest for active players in the game. The $154 million, meanwhile, is the ninth-biggest contract in the history of the game.

Gonzalez had been a target of the Red Sox for some time, especially after the team failed in its pursuit of free agent Mark Teixeira after the 2008 season. The Padres, knowing they couldn't afford to sign Gonzalez to an extention and were likely to lose him to free agency when his current contract expired, began shopping him in earnest last winter.

San Diego GM Jed Hoyer and assistant GM Jason McLeod, eminently familiar with the Red Sox farm system from their time working under Theo Epstein, quickly zeroed in on Casey Kelly and first baseman Anthony Rizzo as the centerpieces to the deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

Re: *RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*

thoughts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Theo must have read my post yesterday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now, we an hear how softy called this before anyone else, although he said just the opposite.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

In Response to Re: *RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*:
    Now, we an hear how softy called this before anyone else, although he said just the opposite.
    Posted by moonslav59

was he right on the yrs/$?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

this was the worst kept secret in town. these are exactly the terms that had been reported since december. it was also rumored the deal would get done the first day off the sox had. great news, even if its sounds like old news. after giving up three prospects, there was no way this deal didnt get done

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

blog post photo

do you really find pleasure in this video ?

you must of loved it when manny pushed the old travel sec

I'm not saying pedro had much of a choice

just saying it's pretty ugly

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

Excuse me if this offends you sir, but i find it quite funnyLaughing

On the other hand, Manny had a choice. Idiotic move over some tickets.. smh.

In Response to Re: *RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*:
    [QUOTE]do you really find pleasure in this video ? you must of loved it when manny pushed the old travel sec I'm not saying pedro had much of a choice just saying it's pretty ugly
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

IMO it's classless,

bill lee like, 

but I understand where I am

to each his own

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

OK all the accounting stuff is done ... NOW can we please start the 2011 season for real!

"Let the Piegons loose" -- The Mallachi Brothers

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

The thread that was on top for three months in red and unmoveable about the risk of Gonzalez not signing turned out to be "much ado about nothing" like many said. It did however provide a podium for Softlaw to play his contrarian act for a few months. I was surprised that several wasted so many hours of their time worrying about the non-issue.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Some of the contract will be paid in not signing Papelbon, Drew, Ortiz, Cameron, Varitek, Wakefield, Scutaro, Okajima, and Wheeler when A-Gon's contract kicks in for the 2012 season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]IMO it's classless,   bill lee like,  but I understand where I am to each his own

Zac, what does this even mean?  Bill Lee never pulled any cheap fisticuffs.  One time he was attacked by Yankee thugs Nettles and Rivers, but he was a pacifist and never even retaliated for that thuggery.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoverShoe. Show DoverShoe's posts

[QUOTE]do you really find pleasure in this video ? you must of loved it when manny pushed the old travel sec I'm not saying pedro had much of a choice just saying it's pretty ugly

What does an old man rushing into a fight against world class athletes and getting pushed to the ground have to do with this.  The Gerbil should have stayed on the bench should be grateful he didn't get KO'd.  I'm pretty sure the traveling secretary didn't charge Manny in the locker room.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Some of the contract will be paid in not signing Papelbon, Drew, Ortiz, Cameron, Varitek, Wakefield, Scutaro, Okajima, and Wheeler when A-Gon's contract kicks in for the 2012 season.
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]

That is typically what happens when contracts expire..... Did you have a point?

Also it's far more accurate to say that it will be paid by not signing Drew and Oki.  AGon is already making ~$7M in salary this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Zac, what does this even mean?  Bill Lee never pulled any cheap fisticuffs.  One time he was attacked by Yankee thugs Nettles and Rivers, but he was a pacifist and never even retaliated for that thuggery.  

I was / attemping to  making a connection

between the poster & lee's disrespept

for a guy who has been in BB for so long 

sorry spaceman

but I'm thinking

bill lee is one guy we are going to have to agree to disagree on

I was a big lee fan as a teen

but really resent his & RSN's derespect for zim

and still calling him the gerbil every chance he gets

so many yrs later

EDIT :

sorry spaceman

but I'm thiinking

zim & bill lee R2 guys we are going to have to agree to disagree on ;-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=c2613b8879c952a41a8321c4f27966e8&plckUserId=c2613b8879c952a41a8321c4f27966e8">
    DoverShoe
    First: 4/30/2010
    Last: 4/15/2011
    What does an old man rushing into a fight against world class athletes and getting pushed to the ground have to do with this.  .

do with what ?

The Gerbil should have stayed on the bench should be grateful he didn't get KO'd.  I'm pretty sure the traveling secretary didn't charge Manny in the locker room

I agree, any man that old with a steel plate in his head

from being hit by a pitch, should have just ignored pedro

pointing to his head while yelling at nyy batters

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Zac, what does this even mean?  Bill Lee never pulled any cheap fisticuffs.  One time he was attacked by Yankee thugs Nettles and Rivers, but he was a pacifist and never even retaliated for that thuggery.   I was / attemping to  making a connection between the poster & lee's disrespept for a guy who has been in BB for so long  sorry spaceman but I'm thinking   bill lee is one guy we are going to have to agree to disagree on I was a big lee fan as a teen but really resent his & RSN's derespect for zim and still calling him the gerbil every chance he gets so many yrs later EDIT : sorry spaceman   but I'm thiinking  zim & bill lee R2 guys we are going to have to agree to disagree on ;-)

i hear you on the gerbil thing zac.  bill should dig deeper in his buddhist meditation and just forgive Don for his transgressions.  But Zimmer was a bastahd in the late 70s.  He almost destroyed Pudge.  He ran the Buffaloheads outta town over a personal beef that had nothing to do with baseball.  His managing was for the birds.  So, it stands to follow that a portion of RSN is going to not have positive things to say about the gerb .. um.  Mr. Zimmer.  

As for the infamous Pedro/Zim melee, I don't take any pleasure looking at the video.  But I always felt the need to defend Pedro.  All he did was defensively shove him to the ground after HE CHARGED AT HIM WITH CLEARLY AGGRESSIVE INTENT.  Why the heck was Zimmer charging out for the fight?!?  I don't care if he's an old coach.  He shouldn;t have been charging like a mad boar.  Pedro didnt punch him, he just kind deflected Zim's maniacal energy and rerouted it into the ground.  Its like:  don't hit the kid with glasses.  OK, but, if the kid with glasses is swinging at me, I'm gonna hit him in the face.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

They were both in the wrong there (Zim and Pedro).  Zim came at him with a left hook while charging, I don't think i need to explain why that's wrong.  At first I thought that Pedro was just redirecting Zim's energy, which would be fine, but looking at it again once Zim's been redirected Pedro throws him to the ground.  All in all it was just an ugly situation, although not comparable to Manny in any way, shape, or form.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Lars Anderson did not enjoy his breakfast when he found out about A-Gon's signing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoverShoe. Show DoverShoe's posts

[QUOTE]www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=c2613b8879c952a41a8321c4f27966e8&plckUserId=c2613b8879c952a41a8321c4f27966e8 " /> DoverShoe First: 4/30/2010 Last: 4/15/2011 What does an old man rushing into a fight against world class athletes and getting pushed to the ground have to do with this.  . do with what ? The Gerbil should have stayed on the bench should be grateful he didn't get KO'd.  I'm pretty sure the traveling secretary didn't charge Manny in the locker room I agree, any man that old with a steel plate in his head   from being hit by a pitch, should have just ignored pedro pointing to his head while yelling at nyy batters

I'm asking what Pedro defending himself against a charge has to do with the Gonzo signing.  And yes, Zimmer should have avoided getting into a physical confrontation with a player half his age, especially if he has a plate in his head.  I don't condone Pedro beaning players on any team, but if you're going to get into a fight you can't whine after the fact that you got owned.  No one made Zimmer leave the dugout less yet charge a player.  What was Pedro supposed to do, let Zimmer hit him out of respect for his elders?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Maybe this is what the entire team has been waiting for?? Surprised

The Gonzalez contract was so forefront in their minds that they couldn't focus on what they were doing on field. Money mouth

WHEW, I am glad that is now behind us, AND THEM, so now they can start playing some winning baseball!! Wink

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Try not to engage or explain yourself to trolls.  Their mission is simply to hijack threads.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agone. Show agone's posts

well, this contract will definitely take the pressure off of DREW.
    DREW was a 70 million dollar underacheiver; let's hope A-GON isn't double that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts