*RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Re: *RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*

In Response to Re: *RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*:
    [QUOTE]thoughts?

Posted by YOU-KILL-US20[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: *RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT*:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: *RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT* : I'm asking what Pedro defending himself against a charge has to do with the Gonzo signing.  And yes, Zimmer should have avoided getting into a physical confrontation with a player half his age, especially if he has a plate in his head.  I don't condone Pedro beaning players on any team, but if you're going to get into a fight you can't whine after the fact that you got owned.  No one made Zimmer leave the dugout less yet charge a player.  What was Pedro supposed to do, let Zimmer hit him out of respect for his elders?
    Posted by DoverShoe[/QUOTE]

no one was whining

I said he had little choice

zim apologized for his actions the next day

as far as what it has to do with the topic of the thread

I didn't post the classless vid

as far as hijacking the thread

get over it

IMO it's better than starting a new thread and

knocking some one else's thread off the page

besides Jbay said it all

the contract is old news

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I guess pedro could have taken off his jacket

and waved it like a bullfighter

OMG now I'm just as bad

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

At this point in time, I am a little tentative about these huge contracts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I was skeptical about this deal from the very beginning, but I have never been so happy to be wrong! When all was said and done, we got Adrian Gonzalez for 8 years, $200M for one top pitching prospect and two prospects with no chance to advance to the major-league club.  Plus, we avoided the luxury tax.  Absolutely brilliant! Congratualtions to Playball and the others on the now defunct thread who called this correctly :)
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

8 years, $160M, right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

When the trade was agreed upon, the sides were given a 48-hour window by Major League Baseball to come to terms on a new contract. That deadline passed, and the assumption was the deal would be scuttled. But they agreed to continue talks in the spring, and the Red Sox went ahead with the trade.

Boggs visited Fort Myers in late March to resume talks. The remaining issues, including finazling contract language and some performance bonuses, were completed this week, sources said.

It would have been announced before April 10 if it was "a done deal". What are the "performance bonuses"? What was the "signing bonus"? Waiting this long allowed the Red Sox to see AGon's shoulder hold up for 11 games, which was a hedge put forth in this report.

In the end, the deal is being reported falsely on more than one front. Because he could become a free agent at year end, the 6M has to be included in what amounts to an 8 year deal. There is no way this is a 22M a year deal. It's a 19.25 million a year deal, which is almost exactly the same guarantee as Miguel Cabrera. Tex got 22.5 and 8 years and 180 million guaranteed, so this doesn't stack up with that. Nor should it.

I'd like to know what the performance bonus and signing bonus provisions are, as I'm quite certain they will not be the typical contract signing bonus amounts. There is CBA limit on them, but they should be reported soon enough.

This was the correct acquistion, and the player trade net was embarrassingly low for the Padres. They could have easily obtained more, which should bring into question Hoyer and a conflict of interest. Hoyer won't be the Padres GM in a few more years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoverShoe. Show DoverShoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: *RED SOX & ADRIAN GONZALEZ AGREE ON 7 YR 154 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT* : no one was whining I said he had little choice zim apologized for his actions the next day as far as what it has to do with the topic of the thread I didn't post the classless vid as far as hijacking the thread get over it IMO it's better than starting a new thread and   knocking some one else's thread off the page besides Jbay said it all the contract is old news
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

My feed wasn't showing the vid as part of Youk's signature, I thought you were bringing this up out of the blue.  Fair enough.  That was such a crazy series, it doesn't take much to get the juices going again.

All your matador picture's missing is the rose between Pedro's teeth.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I realize that you are all happy the Sox sew up guys like Lackey, Buchholz, and Gonzalez, and Beckett...but do you ever get the feeling that the Sox timing on those deals are completely done at times when the Sox are at a PR low? It's like Beckett is terrible, then boom..big contract renewal. Team is in 2-9 slide, team signs Clay and Adrian to please the masses for years to come...I'm sorry, not excited about these ridiculous contracts to Crawford, Gonzalez, Lackey. The Sox teams that had the 1 or 2-year contracts remaining players were better teams. I'd rather the whole team be playing for a contract next season rather than have comfortable fatcats collect checks for an under-.500 team. Sorry, not excited.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE] The Sox teams that had the 1 or 2-year contracts remaining players were better teams. 

I'd rather the whole team be playing for a contract next season rather than have comfortable fatcats collect checks for an under-.500 team. Sorry, not excited.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Can you prove the first comment?

As for the second comment, you need to find Doc Brown's DeLorean and go back 50, 60 years in the days of the reserve clause when nearly all contracts were year to year. That's simply not how business is done nowadays.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

roy, i'm simply stating that the Sox PR machine wholly placates fans with long, dizzying contracts to make it seem like they are investing the team's success. The team is not a good team. You don't go 2-9 to start and then announce signings. Do it in the offseason. It's discouraging. Just like when Beckett got his re-up at the time he got it. It was worth not even reporting it until after the season. I'm tired of hearing about who the Sox sewed up rather than hearing about what the Sox are going to do about certain positions that need to be filled..one being catcher. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The more the Sox boast about their long-term signings and the money invested, the more I dislike the team's outlook. When the team won the WS in 04, I would have been glad had they sewn up Lowe for 6 years, Cabrera for 6 years. Why? Proven they are winners? Why do I care if Crawford, Gonzalez and Lackey get 500 million? The team hasn't won since 2007. That's the bottom line. More longterm signings when the team isn't winning. You're supposed to blow up teams that aren't good, not keep them together for years and years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Victor Martinez was a terrific player last year as was Adrian Beltre. They were both discarded because the team felt it would be better off with other alternatives (and for more money to the others). Waiting out of Adrian I liked, and I do like him being a Sox. However, I would have been excited had the Sox resigned Martinez and Beltre. They both played well as Red Sox and I appreciate Sox who do well for Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Getting Gonzalez only adequately replaces Beltre-Martinez offense. Youkilis was already on the team. My point is the offense is not better with Adrian because they already had his production from others. They simply changed the chess pieces around, but with no investment in SS and C, just whims.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

True. Agon was long term superstar needed, but Crawford was not. Blowing all that money and then doing nothing to improve the 2 catcher spots and not getting a solid young RH OF'er is quite errant in focus on weakness improvement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Now, we an hear how softy called this before anyone else, although he said just the opposite.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Exactly

Softy had his head up his bum when claiming he 'called adrian gonzalez" when in fact he was far from the first to go down that road...

he BUTCHERED the trade proposal (claimed Ellsbury HAD to be involved and Kelly did not, when MANY said the exact opposite)

he BUTCHERED the extension cost (5/80-6/105...wow what a miss)

and then he wrote essays claiming that ellsbury and Lowrie would be PTBNL in the trade, that the extension wouldn't get done and that AGon would want Pujols money next offseason

etc etc etc

The hateful board jester had it wrong

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

and then he wrote essays claiming that ellsbury and Lowrie would be PTBNL in the trade, Posted by rameakap

" SD will want proven MLB talent? (In fact, Cafardo reported that the PTBNL was a major league ready profile. In fact, it's also been reported, after the rental/parameter-no-extension-yet deal was announced by the front office, that Jake's was one of the player's offered on the table. The Padres had interest, but the beat reporter claims the reason they didn't do it was because they later decided he was too expensive for arby years. In reality, the extension deal not being struck is what turned it into an obvious rental price. "

"Fact: The package itself is a rental package for a player like AGon. It's so weak that it's almost laughable."

October 2010 "This is why I have it 50/50 that AGon goes this winter. As I said at the outset, no question that he gets traded before the end of next season."

March 2011 "Therre is nothing in the posts but hypothetical banter that took place long after
    I posted my thread that AGon was 100% going this winter, and "at least 50/50" to the Red Sox."

Posted by Softlaw1A1 (biillybyboy, baseball GM, softlawnA1A, or....)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

this is really funny lol

[QUOTE]I guess pedro could have taken off his jacket   and waved it like a bullfighter OMG now I'm just as bad
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beat-Boston. Show Beat-Boston's posts

Crawford and Gonsalez = 42M

Cleveland Indians Team = 40M

Red Sawx 2-9

Tribe 8-4 (including 3 game sweep of Red Sawx)

HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Listening to Gonzalez being interview on Friday Night Fenway. He said the slow start hasn't effected him/them at all, its baseball, the team is good enough to make the playoffs, WILL make the playoffs, just want to start winning to have enough wins to get home field advantage. when asked about the fans welcoming him last weekend against the NYY, he said he didnt need to get to Fenway, he felt it all spring training. he loves the atmosphere, passionate fans who support the team WIN OR LOSE. they're upset when they lose because theyre so passionate, want to see them do well and wouldnt great be fans if they didnt. the contract terms were agreed upon, today just solidified it. he loves the city and is  looking forward to cementing his mark in Boston with his charity work. Cool

Quality player, quality guy. Congratulations to Adrian and the Red Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOU-KILL-US20. Show YOU-KILL-US20's posts

[QUOTE]Listening to Gonzalez being interview on Friday Night Fenway. He said the slow start hasn't effected him/them at all, its baseball, the team is good enough to make the playoffs, WILL make the playoffs, just want to start winning to have enough wins to get home field advantage. when asked about the fans welcoming him last weekend against the NYY, he said he didnt need to get to Fenway, he felt it all spring training. he loves the atmosphere, passionate fans who support the team WIN OR LOSE. they're upset when they lose only because theyre so passionate and want to see them do well and wouldnt great be fans if they didnt. the contract terms were agreed upon, today just solidified it. he loves the city and is  looking forward to cementing his mark in Boston with his charity work. Quality player, quality guy. Congratulations to Adrian and the Red Sox.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

a winning mentality, great player, good attittude=priceless

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

It's only with the greatest reluctance, after a private debate about enabling the man, that I drag my fingers over the keyboard to feed the Softy monster before an overdue, much-needed rest.  Two options:

He will shame himself yet again by pointing to some weasel-like language he used over the winter to claim he, yet again, had "predicted" AGon's signing.

Or, he will stand by his oft-repeated statements that the alleged pre-agreement was not, and could not be, legally enforceable so he was correct then and the current agreement is solely due to new talks.

Check out The Routes from Japan.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

was he right on the yrs/$?

...depends which time you want to quote him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was skeptical about this deal from the very beginning, but I have never been so happy to be wrong!

When all was said and done, we got Adrian Gonzalez for 8 years, $200M for one top pitching prospect and two prospects with no chance to advance to the major-league club.  Plus, we avoided the luxury tax.  Absolutely brilliant!

Congratualtions to Playball and the others on the now defunct thread who called this correctly :)

I always respected your position on that thread, because you never were overly righteous, but I really respect your admission here. If only softgGuMs could do the same.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When the trade was agreed upon, the sides were given a 48-hour window by Major League Baseball to come to terms on a new contract. That deadline passed, and the assumption was the deal would be scuttled. But they agreed to continue talks in the spring, and the Red Sox went ahead with the trade.

Boggs visited Fort Myers in late March to resume talks. The remaining issues, including finazling contract language and some performance bonuses, were completed this week, sources said.

It would have been announced before April 10 if it was "a done deal". What are the "performance bonuses"? What was the "signing bonus"? Waiting this long allowed the Red Sox to see AGon's shoulder hold up for 11 games, which was a hedge put forth in this report.

In the end, the deal is being reported falsely on more than one front. Because he could become a free agent at year end, the 6M has to be included in what amounts to an 8 year deal.

Vintage softy backpeddeling and divertin from th fact that he got the names wrong, the money wrong, and the timing wrong.

He said it was a 50-50 chance he got dealt this winter, then said he was "the only one who called the winter deal". (Total lie)

He sad SD would get Jed and Lowrie, then lied about saying he said Kelly and Rizzo. He blamed he SD GM for not getting what softy thinks he really wanted an could have gotten. (wrong and wrong)

He then said the deal was for a rental, since Jed was not invloved. He shot down those of us who said he would be signd in he first 2 weeks of the season.

When it became clear he'd be signed for about $22M per year, he pulled the "figure  the $6M year" was what he meant when he said he'd get about $18-20M. (see below for the exact words written by softy moinths ago)

There is no way this is a 22M a year deal. It's a 19.25 million a year deal, which is almost exactly the same guarantee as Miguel Cabrera. Tex got 22.5 and 8 years and 180 million guaranteed, so this doesn't stack up with that. Nor should it.

It's nerly identica to Tex, but only you prefer to stick your head in the sand. The absurdity is trademarked by softy. (Translate: you are softy)

I'd like to know what the performance bonus and signing bonus provisions are, as I'm quite certain they will not be the typical contract signing bonus amounts. There is CBA limit on them, but they should be reported soon enough.

This was the correct acquistion, and the player trade net was embarrassingly low for the Padres. They could have easily obtained more, which should bring into question Hoyer and a conflict of interest. Hoyer won't be the Padres GM in a few more years.

Again, blaming Hoyer for your mistaken viewpoint.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Well this is better money spent than Crawford - I am certain of this.

Sections
Shortcuts