Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/marlins-red-sox-have-discussed-hanley-ramirez.html

The report down-plays the seriousness of the discussions, but the Sox just dealt one of their best RH bats, who just happened to be a shortstop in Lowrie.  Then they signed a defensive utility guy in Punto, which all but guarantees Aviles (another RH bat) will not be back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez

The report down-plays the seriousness of the discussions, but the Sox just dealt one of their best RH bats, who just happened to be a shortstop in Lowrie.  Then they signed a defensive utility guy in Punto, which all but guarantees Aviles (another RH bat) will not be back.

Or, that Scutty or Youk wont be back.
    Or, that Aviles and punto could play OF and we do without DMac or a 4th OF'er.
    Or, that HanRam will play OF or 3B (Youk traded).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

Personally don't care to have Hanley on the Sox he is not a team player and with the current roster loaded with guys of that nature adding another to the mix could be a recipe for disaster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez:
    [QUOTE]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/marlins-red-sox-have-discussed-hanley-ramirez.html The report down-plays the seriousness of the discussions, but the Sox just dealt one of their best RH bats, who just happened to be a shortstop in Lowrie.  Then they signed a defensive utility guy in Punto, which all but guarantees Aviles (another RH bat) will not be back.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Why?  Aviles can play outfield or infield.  Seems to make sense to carry both of them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez:
    [QUOTE]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/marlins-red-sox-have-discussed-hanley-ramirez.html The report down-plays the seriousness of the discussions, but the Sox just dealt one of their best RH bats, who just happened to be a shortstop in Lowrie.  Then they signed a defensive utility guy in Punto, which all but guarantees Aviles (another RH bat) will not be back.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Or maybe they're looking at trading Youkilis to the D'backs for Saunders and/or David Hernandez

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

He was ticked off at the idea of playing 3rd base in Miami.  Why would he want to come to the RS to play 3rd.  I think Scut. goes if he comes, but I doubt it happens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Nick Punto, I believe, is a switchhitter.  Mike Aviles, being younger, probably has trade value.  Ben Cherington knows Hanley's history (1) being sent home early by the RS cause of disciplinary problems at the Arizona Instructional League, (2) Hanley had a run in telling off his then Marlins Manager Fredi Gonzalez, now the Braves' Manager, saying he, Hanley did not have to listen to Fredi as Fredi had not played in the Major Leagues and (3) Hanley is not a very good ML SS, maybe he could be switched to 3B or a corner outfield position, but whether his Contract and acquisition costs are worth so, you be the judge.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I had a short daydream in which I smiled gently at imagined Bobby V. / Hanley interactions.  Despite the enormous entertainment potential and discussion board fodder this trade might yield, I'd have to say NO THANK YOU.  

Oh and this comment from the linked page is probably the best summary of the "discussions":

"wanna sell low?"

"no. wanna overpay?"

"no"

"toodles"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't get the Hanley thing.  He is a mediocre shortstop.  A really good bat.  But, of all the things this club needs, a really good bat is not really one of them.  And, if it means trading Youk, to me, assuming Youk is healthy, Hanley is an offensive downgrade.  Not have the on-base monster that Youk is.  And that is offensive pressure in the middle of the line-uo that Hanley just can't provide.  Why all the hard ons for Hanley?  I thought the idea was to start shedding the diva me-firsters anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd play him at 3B or LF, but that's why he's beingtraded, right?
     He doesn't want that!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

only 96 games appeared last year..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Teams nearly always deny shopping a player. Ramirez has been shopped and if the right offer is made that works for both teams then Ramirez will be traded. To say you are trying to distress sale dump balloon payments and a player is like slicing half the player value.

Ramirez may last one more year in the ABA of MLB, but he will be traded in the time frame I said he would be traded.

Ellsbury plus blocked prospects for Ramirez and about 5 to 6M for 2012 contract year and a 2nd tier starter via a 3rd party, will make both teams better. I prefer an overt bad attitude like Manny to a passive aggressive bad attitude like Ellsbury. Bottom line, it would improve both teams, immediate and long term.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Would we be having all these discussions about Hanley if he'd come up with some club other than the Sox?  

If you sign him for his plusses you still have a guy who's a mediocre SS and a clubhouse cancer.  If he's so great why are the Marlins, who are TRYING to rebuild, so willing to part with him?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Marlins will not part with him unless they get a good fit return value. As for clubhouse cancer, nice to see Varitek gone. Manny was a clubhouse cancer in 2004 and 2007.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez:
    [QUOTE]Marlins will not part with him unless they get a good fit return value. As for clubhouse cancer, nice to see Varitek gone. Manny was a clubhouse cancer in 2004 and 2007.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

By all the reports I have heard from players and coaches on those teams, Manny was anything but a clubhouse cancer.  A headache for the FO, surely.  But, he was loved and respected by his teammates for his fun-loving spirit, and work ethic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Not by all reports;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

If Ozzie doesn't want to deal with him, he must be a real problem!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Not by all reports;)

Pray, do tell.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]Marlins will not part with him unless they get a good fit return value. As for clubhouse cancer, nice to see Varitek gone. Manny was a clubhouse cancer in 2004 and 2007.

The only cancer here is you, on this board.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Manny was a clubhouse cancer in 2004 and 2007.

Mike Lowell carried Manny's water in 2007 when Manny took an early "vacation".
    I would rather never have a player like Manny on the Sox, championships be damned. I have rooted for the team since 1972, and I would have continued to root for them if they hadn't won.

If Hanley is a punk, I don't want him. A bad attitude is a bad attitude, overt or not. Bums need not apply.

Championships are not absolutions.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Do you really think Bobby V is gonna let Hanley Ramirez do whatever he wants if he's traded here? Remember we do have a new manager.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Not a chance at all. Slow news time creates this stuff.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : Or maybe they're looking at trading Youkilis to the D'backs for Saunders and/or David Hernandez
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

If Cherington's plan is to trade two of our best RH hitters and replace them with Nick Punto, I'm already missing Theo.

Sections
Shortcuts