Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez

How about Ellsbury & Iglesias for Hanley, then Scutaro and Reddick for Dexter Fowler and Rafael Betancourt?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : If Cherington's plan is to trade two of our best RH hitters and replace them with Nick Punto, I'm already missing Theo.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Except that it really isnt his plan, so no need to miss Theo at the moment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

When did an often injured utilitly infielder become our best RH hitters?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : Except that it really isnt his plan, so no need to miss Theo at the moment.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

As long as Youk is on the team, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]When did an often injured utilitly infielder become our best RH hitters?????
    Posted by d3f863d9338d62909b0c5acb8fc2aef4[/QUOTE]

Utility platoon infielder - .919 career OPS vs. lefties.  Who do you put ahead of him, besides Youk and Pedroia?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I thought Aviles came in and added positive energy to a team to a team that didn't have much at the time. I hope we keep him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Manny's antics on the field and in the clubhouse during his last two months with the team made him very unpopular with his teammates. They voted 24-1 that he needed to go. Public opinion polls in New England had 90 percent in disfavor. Hasn't the forum discussed and seen all of these reports already and talked the topic into the ground. Before that summer he may have been a good teammate and presence in the clubhouse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : Utility platoon infielder - .919 career OPS vs. lefties.  Who do you put ahead of him, besides Youk and Pedroia?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Well.....considering he has played in about 250 games in 4 years and never more than 88 in a season...AND is a lifetime  .252 hitter....then sure....throw him in Cooperstown!  AS for who was a better RH hitter.....they are obviously very LH biased so that is a silly arguement....BUT to humor you EVERY starter that is RH I would take over him...Youk, Scut and Pedroia....I would also put Aviles ahead of him for crying out loud.....heck, McDonald would had a lousy year last year but if not for that I may even say he could be about as good as Lowrie had he had more playing time.....  If you are going to base Lowrie being once of the best hitters on the team based on his numbers VS lefties......then in all honesty....this is not worth my time! HAHA!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Aviles came in and added positive energy to a team to a team that didn't have much at the time. I hope we keep him.
    Posted by lasitter[/QUOTE]

I like Aviles too.  If you look at his numbers, both 2008 and 2010 he hit over .300 with better that 400 AB's.  He has been somewhat up and down but in 2009 he really didn't play due to injury but still bounced back well in 2010.

I'm not sure what his natural position is, but last year he started the season as KC's 3rd basemen.

He isn't going to put up monster numbers but he is a career .288 hitter and with a little improved plate discipline could be a reliable bottom of order bat. I do think he gives the Red Sox a decent back up plan if the right deal comes along for Youk. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : Well.....considering he has played in about 250 games in 4 years and never more than 88 in a season...AND is a lifetime  .252 hitter....then sure....throw him in Cooperstown!  AS for who was a better RH hitter.....they are obviously very LH biased so that is a silly arguement....BUT to humor you EVERY starter that is RH I would take over him...Youk, Scut and Pedroia....I would also put Aviles ahead of him for crying out loud.....heck, McDonald would had a lousy year last year but if not for that I may even say he could be about as good as Lowrie had he had more playing time.....  If you are going to base Lowrie being once of the best hitters on the team based on his numbers VS lefties......then in all honesty....this is not worth my time! HAHA!!

I thought it was implied that I was talking about hitting lefties.  My point being that if we were to lose Youk and Lowrie both, that's a huge step backwards for a LH-heavy offense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Getting Avilles was a shrewd move by Theo but I never read very many comments congratulating him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : S5......SON, AFTER ONLY 804 POSTS IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND ALL THE GOOD THAT HANKWILLIAMS/AKA SOFTY BRINGS TO THIS BOARD......  HOWEVER, THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT WITH YOUR NEXT TWO POSTS YOU WILL HIT THE MAGIC # OF  806 !!!    CONGRATS !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Ya.  It gets buried up in all the insults and mocking.  I guess.  Not that I agree that there is any good in what he says.  

I'm at an age where I put a lot of stock in "respect".  Not respect for what someone has done in the past year, but in what they've done in their lifetime.  

I don't see much respect for the accomplishments of Veritek and Wakefield in Law/Softlaw(v.1-200)/HankWilliams's comments when he dreams up monickers (which he apparently thinks are cute and/or original) such as "Verisuck" and "Wastefield".  Things like that are more indicitive of the mind of a 7th grade girl than of someone who professes to be educated in the legal field. [with my apologies to 7th grade girls everywhere]

I have no problems with civil discourse, but I expect it to be done with facts, opinions, and civility and not insults and name-calling.  

Just one more to 806!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Trade Beckett and Scutaro for Hanley and a decent prospect.  Then trade Youk, Reddick and said prospect for Gio Gonzalez.  That might work, as I think Aviles, Punto and Middlebrooks could hold down the fort admirably at 3B.  And it would free up money for Beltran, which would keep the offensive production the same or better. 

On the other hand, I am almost certain the Sox checked in just to see how the Marlins valued Hanley.  And chances are the Marlins want some good prospects, which would not be worth it:  taking on a contract bigger than Scuts, further thinning out an already thin farm system, and taking on an attitude problem.  No thanks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It doesn't seem like the trade talks are anything serious...it's just talk.  It was known there were some clubhouse issues with Hanley last year, and then the team goes out and signs a SS to a huge contract....it's pretty obvious teams are going to be inquiring.

and the report says it's nothing more than cursory, then again...sometimes teams operate under the radar and make something big appear to be small, so who really knows.

I'd take Hanley for the right package....but not Gio.

Gio is a walk machine. Last thing we need is another pitcher who gives up free passes in a hitters ballpark in the AL east

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

The only way the deal makes any sense is if turned into a blockbuster...something ridiculous like Youk, Jake, Scutaro, Dubront, and blocked prospects,  for Hanley, Logan, and one of their top 3 starters....say Josh Johnson for arguements.

Agon
    Pedroia
    Hanley
    Aviles
    Salty
    Crawford
    Kalish
    Logan
    Papi

Johnson
    Becket
    Lester
    Buch
    Aceves

bench
    punto
    reddick
    shoppach

bard
    jenks
    melancon
    albers
    etc

Hanley only comes if we are going to use him at SS I think.  He can't be worse than Scutaro.  Jake and/or youk doesn't go unless we get a top 3 starter in addition to Hanley.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

2011 Stats.  Hanley Ramirez -  B.A. .243 , H.Rs - 10  ,  OBP - .333 , S.P. - .379 , OPS - .712 ....... Jacoby Ellsbury - B.A. - .321  , H.R.s -32  , OBP- .376 , S.P. - .552,    OPS- .928   ........Based on this ,  I could not agree to trade Ellsbury for Ramirez straight up , never mind throwing in a prospect.  When you also factor in defense , plus all of Hanley's attitude problems ,  this is not a trade that I would even consider for a moment. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]2011 Stats.  Hanley Ramirez -  B.A. .243 , H.Rs - 10  ,  OBP - .333 , S.P. - .379 , OPS - .712 ....... Jacoby Ellsbury - B.A. - .321  , H.R.s -32  , OBP- .376 , S.P. - .552,    OPS- .928   ........Based on this ,  I could not agree to trade Ellsbury for Ramirez straight up , never mind throwing in a prospect.  When you also factor in defense , plus all of Hanley's attitude problems ,  this is not a trade that I would even consider for a moment. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

The five seasons prior are meaningless?  If you stack up all of their best seasons, Hanley owns the top three, and five of the top six.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]When did an often injured utilitly infielder become our best RH hitters?????

Only in Boston would fans want to give away Beckett and Ortiz and bemoan the loss of a constantly injured grumpy backup infielder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : The five seasons prior are meaningless?  If you stack up all of their best seasons, Hanley owns the top three, and five of the top six.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    Yup. It's : What have you done for me lately?  Next season is more likely to mirror 2011 than previous years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I can see non RS fans saying they don't want Youk on thier team because he isn't a team player based upon what they see about 4 or 5 times a year on ESPN, just like all you RS fans don't want Hanley for the same reasons.You can not judge a player based upon what you read or see on just a few times.

Not every player out there is a Mike Lowell type just remember that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : Yup. It's : What have you done for me lately?  Next season is more likely to mirror 2011 than previous years.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Then we should have traded Ellsbury before 2011, right?

Quit acting like Ellsbury is on the way up and Ramirez is on the way down.  You do realize Ellsbury is the older player of the two?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez : Then we should have traded Ellsbury before 2011, right? Quit acting like Ellsbury is on the way up and Ramirez is on the way down.  You do realize Ellsbury is the older player of the two?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Based on what I saw last year , Ellsbury is absolutely on the way up , and Ramirez is absolutely on the way down. How can you draw any other conclusion? The age difference is not significant.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Red Sox and Marlins discussing Hanley Ramirez": [QUOTE]Teams nearly always deny shopping a player. Ramirez has been shopped and if the right offer is made that works for both teams then Ramirez will be traded. To say you are trying to distress sale dump balloon payments and a player is like slicing half the player value. Ramirez may last one more year in the ABA of MLB, but he will be traded in the time frame I said he would be traded. Ellsbury plus blocked prospects for Ramirez and about 5 to 6M for 2012 contract year and a 2nd tier starter via a 3rd party, will make both teams better. I prefer an overt bad attitude like Manny to a passive aggressive bad attitude like Ellsbury. Bottom line, it would improve both teams, immediate and long term.   Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE] So we're trading Ellsbury again huh? Give it up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ellsbury will be traded, and soon. This winter will be the final opportunity to get a top talent in return.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

just stop, the marlins arent trading hanley to anyone, nevermind the sox