Red Sox and Pedroia agree to an extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Red Sox and Pedroia agree to an extension

Pedroia and Red Sox have agreed in principle on extension. Starts in 2015 goes to '21. Comes down to approximatey 7 years for $100 million

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Red Sox and Pedroia agree to an extension

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Rob Bradford@bradfo

Pedroia and Red Sox have agreed in principle on extension. Starts in 2015 goes to '21. Comes down to approximatey 7 years for $100 million

An excellent deal for both sides.

Nice to know the Sox will have Pedey around for a long time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Once again a team friendly contract from Pedey.  Tip hat off to you my little man.  

it's a huge steal for the Sox compared to what Cano, Kinsler, and Utley were paid.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Wow I think everyone was speculating the 100 million dollars but for less years.  Yeah 7 years is a long time but the AAV you get for at least the first half of that contract will be huge for the Sox....good move.  waiting would have moved the price tag up as Cano will set the bar. Pedey = sox for life. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Now this is a player that young fans should be looking up to! He meant it when he said he wanted to play in Boston his entire career and now he just proved it! Way to go Pedroia glad you're gonna be here for the long haul!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Good. Hopefully, Ellsbury will follow his lead, but  don't hold your breath.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

I'm glad to see they gave the money to a guy who's busted his A** here for 7 years and proved he can play in Boston. Good to see the Sox reward Pedroia and not throw money at a Josh Hamilton type.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

My position on $100M players has been well documented here,  Suffice it to say that I still find it hard to believe that ANY player is going to make $100M just for playing baseball, no longer how long the duration of the contract.  But that's just my perspective and I'm the first to admit that my perspective doesn't reflect what the market demands for baseball players.  If the Sox are going to pay anyone this kind of money I'm glad it's people with names like Pedroia and/or Ellsbury. Salaries like this only demonstrate how much money there is floating around out there in Major League Baseball. 

All of that having been said, I'm pleased for everyone involved.  I'm pleased for Pedroia in that he's now got a contract that guarantees that he's set, both economically and in terms of where hs's going to play, for the rest of his life/career.  I'm pleased for management in that Pedrioa took what has to be termed a "hometown discount", freeing up money for other players.  And I'm pleased for the fans who have come to recognize Pedey as one of the faces of the franchise and know he and his "dirt dog ways" are going to be patrolling 2B for the forseeable future.

This was a necessary step prior to getting into serious negotiatins with Ellsbury so the FO would know how much money they have to work with for 2014 and beyond. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Including his final year of his old deal its basically 8/110 which is about 13.75AAV. Very friendly deal. Now, if the Sox decided to front load it a bit it would ease things a bit in the final 2-3 years. Something like...

2014 10M (last year of old deal)

2015 21.25M 2016 21.25M 2017 21.25M 2018 21.25M 2019 12.5M 2020 7.5M 2021 5M

My guess is that although Pedey wont be worth 21.5 the 1st 4 years, his production should still be that of a .300BA 380OBP 440SLG provided hes healthy. The final 3 year will se a dropoff in production and salary. Although it still counts as about 13.75 toward the luxury tax threshold over the next 8 years. The Sox payroll drops off the map starting in 2016 with just less than 1M committed, minus arb cases. In 2015 they have just under 30M committed, minus arb cases.

Either way, This is a great deal for the Sox as they have the 1st long term homegrown player signed for basically, his career. Now they need to add the 2nd core player that will lead this team over the next decade. With a group of new, young, and promising talent that will be on this team over the next 4-6 years, signing Pedey was a top priority.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

All good points made so far...I completely agree

Pedroia is the type of player I want on my team. Plays hard, maximizes his abilities through hard work, well-rounded game, and is a leader both through his actions and his words. The AAV is less than I had expected due to the length of the deal and gives the Sox more financial flexbility each season. With no commitments after 2016, this is a good place to start. Building block #1, in place.

Well-deserved Pedey...looking forward to seeing the Laser Show in Boston for a long time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's a lot of money, but I'd rather the money go to a home grown prospect like DP than a guy like Crawford again.  Pedroia is a guy who has done nothing but play hard since he got here.  He should be a career Red Sox, and will likely go down as an all time favourite for many fans.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Pedey deserves standing ovation at the game tonight.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Nice!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Including his final year of his old deal its basically 8/110 which is about 13.75AAV. Very friendly deal. Now, if the Sox decided to front load it a bit it would ease things a bit in the final 2-3 years. Something like...

My guess is that although Pedey wont be worth 21.5 the 1st 4 years, his production should still be that of a .300BA 380OBP 440SLG provided hes healthy. The final 3 year will se a dropoff in production and salary. Although it still counts as about 13.75 toward the luxury tax threshold over the next 8 years. The Sox payroll drops off the map starting in 2016 with just less than 1M committed, minus arb cases. In 2015 they have just under 30M committed, minus arb cases.

Either way, This is a great deal for the Sox as they have the 1st long term homegrown player signed for basically, his career. Now they need to add the 2nd core player that will lead this team over the next decade. With a group of new, young, and promising talent that will be on this team over the next 4-6 years, signing Pedey was a top priority.

I would think the sox would wanna backload the deal a bit, Maybe to the second or third year of this new deal so the sox can get under the luxury tax threshhold even more before the bigger 20+ mil a year kicks in. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

So, does Cano come off looking like a greedy bastid, if he askes for 200mil for 10 years from the Yankees?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

So, does Cano come off looking like a greedy bastid, if he askes for 200mil for 10 years from the Yankees?

YEP!  Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

I would think the sox would wanna backload the deal a bit, Maybe to the second or third year of this new deal so the sox can get under the luxury tax threshhold even more before the bigger 20+ mil a year kicks in. 

I think its counts as 13.75M a year against the Luxury Tax.

But whatever on that...It was a great deal IMO. Even if a couple extra years. I think the production will justify the deal in the first 5 yrs anyway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think its counts as 13.75M a year against the Luxury Tax.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the contract is averaged, for luxury tax purposes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

He sure doesCoolSealed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Chris Cotillo @ChrisCotillo

"Go to hell, Dustin Pedroia and your team-friendly contract" -Robinson Cano…..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Another smart move by Ben to get this deal done before Cano's deal. Glad to see Pedroia will be a Red Sox for his entire career.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Chris Cotillo @ChrisCotillo

"Go to hell, Dustin Pedroia and your team-friendly contract" -Robinson Cano…..

LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I do think that this contract is also an opportunity to deal with Ells.....when Pedey , a past ROY, past MVP, and the best player on the team as an AAV of a little over 14mm, I think that is a good starting point with Ells....I am sure Boras will blow it off, but I think other teams will look at that also when offering Ellls a contract....if Ells wants to stay in Boston, that would be the best he could hope for.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Happy happy news.  A no-brainer for both sides.  

Sox get their man for under market value.  Make fans happy.

Pedroia gets long-term security and cements his legacy in with hallowed names like Doerr, Pesky, Williams

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Doesn't this have to send some kind of message to Ells? If we took any perceived savings and blew it on a supposedly less loyal / franchise player, wouldn't that be a slap to Peedy?

Sections
Shortcuts