Red Sox and Pedroia agree to an extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Re: Red Sox and Pedroia agree to an extension

While they were working out a deal with an existing player, the Rangers got Garza.  Glad to see they are spending their last 2 weeks before the deadline on stuff like this and not being agressive in making moves for the stretch run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

So, does Cano come off looking like a greedy bastid, if he askes for 200mil for 10 years from the Yankees?

Well,..............that's the Yankees' problem.   Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to crix's comment:

While they were working out a deal with an existing player, the Rangers got Garza.  Glad to see they are spending their last 2 weeks before the deadline on stuff like this and not being agressive in making moves for the stretch run.

Crix, you really think they didn't kick the tires on Garza?  I don't know.  He didn't come cheap.  Rangers gave up some really good young pitching.  Worth it?  Maybe.  Maybe.  But, either way, you frame it like the Sox weren't even paying attention.  Which is a little silly when all we have heard for the last month is that Garza is available.  And with almost every  report until this last week, the words "Red Sox interested" came with it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[QUOTE]

Crix, you really think they didn't kick the tires on Garza?  I don't know.  He didn't come cheap.  Rangers gave up some really good young pitching.  Worth it?  Maybe.  Maybe.  But, either way, you frame it like the Sox weren't even paying attention.  Which is a little silly when all we have heard for the last month is that Garza is available.  And with almost every  report until this last week, the words "Red Sox interested" came with it.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, while we're all having this big (and well deserved) love fest for Pedroia, we should have known that someone, somewhere would somehow find a way to put a negative spin on it.  Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Hey, while we're all having this big (and well deserved) love fest for Pedroia, we should have known that someone, somewhere would somehow find a way to put a negative spin on it.  Cool

and someone other than pumpsieSealedWink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

That's true!

It's damned near impossible to talk to two different agents at the same time, these days!

What with how inefficient the nation's telegraph system is...Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Once again a team friendly contract from Pedey.  Tip hat off to you my little man.  

it's a huge steal for the Sox compared to what Cano, Kinsler, and Utley were paid.  

The little man with the biggest heart in Baseball

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Sweeeeeet, Pedroia Is My Favorite Player....Laser Show...

Smile.................

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Personally, I wouldn't back load of front load this deal too much, in eight years this contract is gonna look dirt cheap. Whether Dustin manages to play up to it the whole time is another question, but there probably isn't a better guy to bet on in all baseball.

-Daf.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    There's a difference between "being interested" in a player and seriously pursuing him, negotiating potential offers.  The Red Sox didn't appear to be pursuing him beyond sending a scout out like many other clubs were.  And the Red Sox certainly have the money/bargaining chips to have made it happen if they wanted to. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

They were in on Garza till they saw the sticker price. Texas was able to deal their top prospect because he was blocked at the MLB level at both 3rd and 1st. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    There's a difference between "being interested" in a player and seriously pursuing him, negotiating potential offers.  The Red Sox didn't appear to be pursuing him beyond sending a scout out like many other clubs were.  And the Red Sox certainly have the money/bargaining chips to have made it happen if they wanted to. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree that the Sox certainly have the resources to make a Garza-type move before the deadline.  But, I would say that "didn't appear to be pursuing" is sort of the key phrase in your post here.  I shall refrain from speculating because I have no idea really what happens behind the scene.  I don't have a clue if any calls were made on garza.  But I do know the prospects that the Rangers gave up to get him.  For my taste, I am glad the Sox didn't give up top pitching prospects.  Of course I want to win this year.  but the window for the Sox is just opening and it appears to be a big one.  Texas needs one piece and that pice was a solid rotation guy.  They mortgaged some future because they think Garza will put them over the top.  The Sox, while I am so into this club and the magic chemistry, they likely are more than a Matt Garza away from title contention.  I would hate to give up Ranaudo/Owens/Barnes/etc (any combo thereof) just to go a little deeper in the playoffs.  I am fine getting a depth starter for less and rolling the dice this year that Buchholz gets healthy and Lester recovers some semblance of form.