Red Sox and Yankees rivalry....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Red Sox and Yankees rivalry....

Is it only me, or is the rivalry changing? Far from the bloodletting open warfare we had 10 years ago, it seems sometimes like a more aristocratic dueling pistols approach is being used now. It could be just me, but 5 years ago if I had the money, I could see myself renting a Leer Jet and some Dark Knight style sophisticated electronic jamming quipment, flying on the 6 of the Yankees charter, putting a permanent end to all rivalries, then landing to calmly order two dogs and a coke. Now the rivalry is something I more look forward to as a fun challenge--kind of like Oil Can Boyd pitching to Dale Berra in the Old Timer Drug Store Challenge sponsored by Walgreen's. Ok, maybe not that laid back, but do you know where I'm coming from? Don't get me wrong, I still hate the Yankees, I still hate that smug grin that Cano has, and I still want Joba bust his fat butt getting out of the way of a Pedey line drive, but somehow the blood pressure isn't at levels it used to be. Maybe it's because both teams have had struggles and controversies of their own over the past couple of years, and the stakes aren't as high as they were 2000-09ish. Other teams in the division have also built themselves into serious threats, which has also detracted from the superpower rivalry. What says the forum?   

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Red Sox and Yankees rivalry....

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

Realistically, aside from a brief time in the 1970's and the early part of this century, it really hasn't been much of a rivalry.

A nice, smart elek approach--compact--yet falling short of the spirit of the thread. Thanks for participating, try again later.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Realistically, aside from a brief time in the 1970's and the early part of this century, it really hasn't been much of a rivalry.

How did I know you were going to say that? I myself do miss the days when the two teams just plain didn't like each other. I think that era died when free agency took over the league though. For better or worse players on the Sox and Yanks are much more likely to know each other outside the white lines now, and in a lot of cases to even be friends.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

How did I know you were going to say that? I myself do miss the days when the two teams just plain didn't like each other. I think that era died when free agency took over the league though. For better or worse players on the Sox and Yanks are much more likely to know each other outside the white lines now, and in a lot of cases to even be friends.

Carnie, in some ways the Reds/Cardinals rivalry is boiling up to those levels. They haven't yet reached the old Sox/Yanks peaks, but there's a definite dislike there, and the fans each despise the other team. I know as a Reds follower that I hate the Cardinals more than I do the Yankees. Marty Brennamen said last year the the worst rivalry he ever saw in baseball was the old Reds/Dodgers rivalry from the 70's, and he may be right. But you're also right, it's not what it once was and part of me misses that too. It goes in cycles I guess, some other teams may take top billing for a while, and the Sox/Yanks will have their day again. But babe is also right on one thing, the Yankess sucked so bad in the 80's there would have been no rivalry no matter what Boston was doing. LOL

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

A nice, smart elek approach--compact--yet falling short of the spirit of the thread. Thanks for participating, try again later.

Hardly a smart aleck approach, was merely stating my opinion.

Maybe if you followed baseball before 2004 you would know that there really wasn't a rivalry through the 1980's and early part of the 1990's.

Prior to the 1970's, aside from a year or two here or there, there was no rivalry to speak of.

1. I've seen it spelled both ways, but thanks for the tip.

2. Read my above post in response to your statement about the lack of a rivalry: the Yankees sucked too bad in the 80's for there to be anything either way during that time period. On that point you are correct, if also off topic.

3. It goes without saying--that since I mentioned the years 2000-09 in my OP that not only have I been following baseball faithfully since I was a child in the very early 80's, (I have the baseball card collection from 84-92 to prove it) but that also the scope of this thread is to ask fans what they think of the rivalry NOW compared to what it was in the above mentioned period. That should be clear to any ordinary non-troll/non-crap stirring/non-attention whoring observer who read the OP. Therefore, any mention of the 70's, 80's, or 90's is irrelevant to this thread. Thank you again for participating, please try again soon.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Carnie, in some ways the Reds/Cardinals rivalry is boiling up to those levels. They haven't yet reached the old Sox/Yanks peaks, but there's a definite dislike there, and the fans each despise the other team. I know as a Reds follower that I hate the Cardinals more than I do the Yankees. Marty Brennamen said last year the the worst rivalry he ever saw in baseball was the old Reds/Dodgers rivalry from the 70's, and he may be right. But you're also right, it's not what it once was and part of me misses that too. It goes in cycles I guess, some other teams may take top billing for a while, and the Sox/Yanks will have their day again. But babe is also right on one thing, the Yankess sucked so bad in the 80's there would have been no rivalry no matter what Boston was doing. LOL

Actually, as I stated earlier, if you had followed baseball before 2004 you would realize that the Yanks had the best record of everyone in the 1980's. They just didn't win a WS. That would be the first decade since 1911-1920 that they didn't.

But the bosox certainly sucked for much of 1919-2000, so it kills any theory of a "rivalry" for much of that time.

[/QUOTE]

What we have is a failure to communicate. Actually, as I stated earlier, I have followed baseball since I was a young child in the early 80's. That does NOT always mean I always followed the Yankees or paid close attention to them or their record--although I have always disliked them, and I remember George Steinbrenner being the biggest jack*ss in all of baseball late in that decade. By the time Ken Burns made his Baseball film as of 1994, the statement therein about George was that "he did what everybody thought was impossible: he wrecked the New York Yankees". That what he was looked at up to that point. Sounds like a real winner to me. I have made no secret whatsoever of the fact that I grew up a Reds fan, and still follow them as well as the Red Sox. And again, the purpose of this thread (that your are desperately trying to hi-jack) is to ask fans what they think of the rivalry NOW compared to what it was 2000-09. Thank you again for participating. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

1. I've seen it spelled both ways, but thanks for the tip.

The only place it's spelled elek is in your post, try entering "smart elek" in to google and tell me what you come up with.

2. Read my above post in response to your statement about the lack of a rivalry: the Yankees sucked too bad in the 80's for there to be anything either way during that time period. On that point you are correct, if also off topic.

Hardly, your OP doesn't not specify any time frame. And the bosox sucked for most of the 1990's for there to be anything either way during that time frame.

3. It goes without saying--that since I mentioned the years 2000-09 in my OP that not only have I been following baseball faithfully since I was a child in the very early 80's, (I have the baseball card collection from 84-92 to prove it) but that also the scope of this thread is to ask fans what they think of the rivalry NOW compared to what it was in the above mentioned period. That should be clear to any ordinary non-troll/non-crap stirring/non-attention whoring observer who read the OP. Therefore, any mention of the 70's, 80's, or 90's is irrelevant to this thread. Thank you again for participating, please try again soon.

Weak.

Yes, my OP does specify a time frame--read it. And I have not edited it in, it was there when I posted it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Some of the 'rivalry' is between the two cities as much as the two teams, I think.  Some of it's just hype, no doubt.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

What we have is a failure to communicate. Actually, as I stated earlier, I have followed baseball since I was a young child in the early 80's. That does NOT always mean I always followed the Yankees or paid close attention to them or their record--although I have always disliked them, and I remember George Steinbrenner being the biggest jack*ss in all of baseball late in that decade. By the time Ken Burns made his Baseball film as of 1994, the statement therein about George was that "he did what everybody thought was impossible: he wrecked the New York Yankees". That what he was looked at up to that point. Sounds like a real winner to me. I have made no secret whatsoever of the fact that I grew up a Reds fan, and still follow them as well as the Red Sox. And again, the purpose of this thread (that your are desperately trying to hi-jack) is to ask fans what they think of the rivalry NOW compared to what it was 2000-09. Thank you again for participating. 

LOL, certainly had no intention of "hijacking" your thread.

But now that I know you are one of those fans that have 2 "favorite" teams I will promise to try and not engage you in further conversation. It's says all I need to know about the type of fan you are.

Thanks for playing.

You're welcomed, it was my pleasure. What you just said makes no sense, but I'm gald you've enjoyed our conversation.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Therefore, any mention of the 70's, 80's, or 90's is irrelevant to this thread

I guess that makes your thread irrelevant

carnie mentioned he thought it was FA that 'killed it '

how could one counter that the rivalry was strong in late 90's

with FA in full play if

'any mention of the 70's, 80's, or 90's is irrelevant to this thread''

Nice try babe2, but the question on the floor is what do you think of it now compared to what it was 2000-09ish or so? The OP mentions those years, as well as talking about the last 10 years or so. Therefore, what happened in the 70's, 80's, and 90's has no bearing on the issue at hand. And it's interesting that only Yankees fans are having trouble understanding this, the Sox fans are responding normally.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yes, my OP does specify a time frame--read it. And I have not edited it in, it was there when I posted it.

So Oil Can Boyd and Dale Berra played from 2000-2009?

[/QUOTE]

What does a dope joke involving drug using players from both teams playing in an old timers game (that could be played in ANY recent decade) have to do with that? Who's lacking a sense of humor NOW? Man, that is just plain stupid. You'd have to be intentionally trolling to come up with something like that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Nice try babe2, but the question on the floor is what do you think of it now compared to what it was 2000-09ish or so? The OP mentions those years, as well as talking about the last 10 years or so. Therefore, what happened in the 70's, 80's, and 90's has no bearing on the issue at hand. And it's interesting that only Yankees fans are having trouble understanding this, the Sox fans are responding normally.

Therefore, what happened in the 70's, 80's, and 90's has no bearing on the issue at hand. And it's interesting that only Yankees fans are having trouble understanding this

so now carnie is a nyfan

who knew

compared to what it was 2000-09ish

why not look a little closer to the sox seasons

since 09 and find your answer

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember when I went to the season opener in 2005 between the Red Sox and Yankees.  David Wells was the starting pitcher for the Red Sox.  50,000 Yankee fans were chanting, "A**hole" when Wells was walking to the mound.   LOL

Randy Johnson was 5-0 vs. the Red Sox in 2005.  *shaking my head*

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Therefore, any mention of the 70's, 80's, or 90's is irrelevant to this thread

I guess that makes your thread irrelevant

carnie mentioned he thought it was FA that 'killed it '

how could one counter that the rivalry was strong in late 90's

with FA in full play if

'any mention of the 70's, 80's, or 90's is irrelevant to this thread''

Therefore, what happened in the 70's, 80's, and 90's has no bearing on the issue at hand. And it's interesting that only Yankees fans are having trouble understanding this

so now carnie is a nyfan

compared to what it was 2000-09ish

why not look a little closer to the sox seasons

since 09 and find your answer

Like I posted the other day, the Yankees are on a similar curve to the Red Sox, only a couple years behind because some of their signings panned out better--ie--Sabathia instead of Lackey and etc. I don't see where NY has a whole lot this year that's what I'd call scary. Other than an aging and overworked Sabathia your rotation is questionable, and other than Cano so is your lineup. Tiexiera has been regressing, Jeter is old as dirt, Arod is out most likely for the year, and who's in your pen? An 80 year old Rivera? Maybe Roberston, but not much else. The only thing that might keep NY from bottoming out is that they simply have more money to throw at the problems, but Stienbrenner and Cashman will be less likely to go that route than they have been in years past. In a couple years I might ask you the same question about the Yankees "since 09", and get a similar answer to the one you are trying to get from me.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts