Red Sox are biggest draw in MLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

So far, anyway.  Their average attendance, combining home and away, is 86.4%, just slightly better than the Yankees 85.9%.  This is helped a lot by the fact that just a tad over 37,000 fills Fenway, so the Sox are averaging over 96.% attendance for home games and 75% for away games.  If you go by actual fannies in seats, the Sox are still 4th best at 35,736 and Dodgers are 1st at 39, 494.  In 2d and 3d are the Yankees and Giants.  Those four teams--Yankees, Dodgers, Sox, and Giants--also ranked 1st, 2d, 4th, and 6th in team salaries.   Those are also four of the oldest franchises in MLB.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Red Sox are biggest draw in MLB

I was surprised how easy it was to park and buy a ticket at Oakland Coliseum and Tropicana Field.  LOL

This was at a time when both the A's and Rays were in a playoff hunt.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

FTR - many of the NL teams are far older franchises than Sox and Yanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

If you go by actual fannies in seats, the Sox are still 4th best at 35,736

must be that new math

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i do alot of global travel for my job.  (actually headed to Colombia & Panama next week).  used to be it was nothing but interlocking NY hats.  the past few years i see more B's than any other hat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If you factor in the cost of those seats it's a completely different picture, and parking revenues. NYY and Dodgers still clearly dominate in those categories but we have what appears to be a better TV deal than the Yanks. The Dodgers are going to outspend everyone for a long time.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FTR - many of the NL teams are far older franchises than Sox and Yanks.

[/QUOTE]
    Only 6.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I understand why the Yankees draw fans to away games.  They are the wealthiest franchise with those 27 WS rings, or they are public enemy #1, take your pick.  The Dodgers have also spent a lot on players and are an old and largely successful franchise.  But the Sox were nuttin' for most of 86 years and only recently have been consistently competitive if you ignore 2010-12.  That said, if you are like me, a displaced Sox fan who was born near Boston, came back to West Springfield for about 18 months, never to return except for rare visits, you love the fact that you can watch them play without having to go to Fenway, where the sight lines are awful and good seats hard to find.  I am of course ignoring that Fenway is close to if not THE most photogenic ballpark in MLB precisely because it is so old and so different.  You must go to one game there if you are Sox fan, but my experience is that one is enough.