Red Sox are not considering Arnie Beyelet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Red Sox are not considering Arnie Beyelet

According to Gordon Edes on ESPN.com:

"The Red Sox are onlyconsidering canidiates with Major League Manager or Coaching experience.

I think that's a shame, Beyeler's success in the organization earned him at least an interview.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Red Sox are not considering Arnie Beyelet

Couldn't agree more. Beyeler is the guy I most want to see managing the Red Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Think it may have as much to do with not having experience with  big market media, as MLB managing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Think it may have as much to do with not having experience with  big market media, as MLB managing.

There aren't many guys out there who have enough experience  or the kind of experience to deal with the zoo that is Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

yeah.........we saw how BV did with the media.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

And Ausmus and Wallach have that experience?  Beyeler is the perfect fit.  That is why Lucchino will force the Sox in another direction...he is an egotistical moron.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

And Ausmus and Wallach have that experience?  Beyeler is the perfect fit.  That is why Lucchino will force the Sox in another direction...he is an egotistical moron.

I'm no Lucchino fan at all, and he's been behind some very bad decisions because his ego DID get in the way, but I'm not so sure that hiring a guy like Arnie Beyeler, who has never coached OR played in the Majors is the right move at this point.  Wallach and Ausmus have been around the Majors in some capacity for decades, which DEFINITELY makes a difference. The minors and Majors are two entirely different worlds.  It's also pretty clear that Lucchino will be involved in the interview process, but ultimately, it's going to be Ben's decision this time.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

What the heck does Lucchino's ego have to do with considering Beyeler for the major league job...would hiring Beyeler make others think less of him? Ridiculous statement.

Also, since when did Beyeler become the second coming of Casey Stengal or Earl Weaver? Because Pawtucket had a good year despite the major league club pillaging them for players? Maybe that means that some of the kids in the lower levels that got promoted are god players...in that case kudos to the front office then!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Parhunter----this is one time Henry must step in and tell Lucchino that he must stay in the promotions and marketing department and keep his nose out of baseball operations.  Let Cherington pick the manager and let the new manager pick the coaches.  Lucchino must have his sails trimmed or we will be in trouble again next season.  He is not only an egotistical moron but a dumb a#s when it comes to baseball.  He d oes not know the game at all.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Not having seen Beyeler in action , it is hard to say. He did well at Pawtucket this year.  Generally , I like the idea of promoting from within. But I would think that Sox management has a better idea of his ability than we do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You know, the more I think about it, it seems like managers almost never come up from AAA and take over a big league club. I would hope though that Beyeler lands on the big league coaching staff (along with Rich Sauveur) so that he can get a big league club, hopefully the Red Sox, in a few years. As long as we don't give up any prospects for Farrell I'll be reasonably happy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Not having seen Beyeler in action , it is hard to say. He did well at Pawtucket this year.  Generally , I like the idea of promoting from within. But I would think that Sox management has a better idea of his ability than we do.

A guy who has never played, coached or managed in the Major Leagues, coming into THIS situation, a THIS point in time?  Not a good move for anyone...Arnie Beyeler might be a great guy, and I hope he gets to coach in the Bigs at some point, but he is not what this team needs right now. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

What the heck does Lucchino's ego have to do with considering Beyeler for the major league job...would hiring Beyeler make others think less of him? Ridiculous statement.

Also, since when did Beyeler become the second coming of Casey Stengal or Earl Weaver? Because Pawtucket had a good year despite the major league club pillaging them for players? Maybe that means that some of the kids in the lower levels that got promoted are god players...in that case kudos to the front office then!

Yes, bringing in a relative unknown now would make Lucchino look less credible and omnicient in his mind.  That is my opinion.  He forced Bobby V on Ben becuase he thought he knew better.  He thought that bringing in a an inexperienced manager, such as Alomar or Sveum would not be a big enough name to excite the fan base.  To hire a guy like Beyeler now would do even more damage to his credibility and ego.  That is how I see it, ridiculous as you may think it is.

I don't know who YOU think will make up the 2012 roster for the Boston Red Sox, but I think that quite a few will be from Pawtucket, and will have played for Arnie Beyeler.  And since I believe that the future success of the team relies heavily on the success and production of these players, I also believe that bringing in a guy to manage them that they know, are comfortable with, have won with, and is someone they can believe in will make them better players (and the team therefore more successful).  But that is me, and I am no Larry Lucchino, for sure.

If the question is, can he deal with the big egos such as Pedroia and Ortiz, and will they respect him because he wasn't a MLB player, well I guess I think that therein lies much of the problem with the current (2011 and 2012) Red Sox.  They tuned out the most successful (in terms of WS wins, anyway) manager in the team's history and walked all over him.  What will prevent them from doing that to the next guy?  Only when Ben C and the owners get behind the new guy 100% and enforce his ways will that change.  And it won't matter how the new manager is, with the possible exception of Joe Torre (which is why--if he became available--he would be my asolute first and only choice).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I remember reading or listening to something where beylers name was brought up and something was said about him liking where he was and that he was one of those career minor league guys.

Sorry, I dont remember where I read/heard that, but I did...getting older kinda stinks at times...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Guillens would probably have fun in Boston.  His Miami gig isn't going well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

That would be a freakin nightmare...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

That would likely make CHB very happy...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Yes, bringing in a relative unknown now would make Lucchino look less credible and omnicient in his mind.  That is my opinion.  He forced Bobby V on Ben becuase he thought he knew better.  He thought that bringing in a an inexperienced manager, such as Alomar or Sveum would not be a big enough name to excite the fan base.  To hire a guy like Beyeler now would do even more damage to his credibility and ego.  That is how I see it, ridiculous as you may think it is.

I don't know who YOU think will make up the 2012 roster for the Boston Red Sox, but I think that quite a few will be from Pawtucket, and will have played for Arnie Beyeler.  And since I believe that the future success of the team relies heavily on the success and production of these players, I also believe that bringing in a guy to manage them that they know, are comfortable with, have won with, and is someone they can believe in will make them better players (and the team therefore more successful).  But that is me, and I am no Larry Lucchino, for sure.

If the question is, can he deal with the big egos such as Pedroia and Ortiz, and will they respect him because he wasn't a MLB player, well I guess I think that therein lies much of the problem with the current (2011 and 2012) Red Sox.  They tuned out the most successful (in terms of WS wins, anyway) manager in the team's history and walked all over him.  What will prevent them from doing that to the next guy?  Only when Ben C and the owners get behind the new guy 100% and enforce his ways will that change.  And it won't matter how the new manager is, with the possible exception of Joe Torre (which is why--if he became available--he would be my asolute first and only choice).

My first comment is to agree with you on one thing about Lucchino...I'd like him to remove himself from the day to day baseball operations process and leave that to the people he hired to run it...that is Ben Cherington and his assistants. If it is his ego that keeps him involved that I can also agree with...but I diagree that hiring Beyeler would tarnish his ego in any way since the post hiring spin from Red Sox ownership would sing his praises.

I disagree and hope wholeheartedy that the 2013 team consists of former Pawtucket players as this would indicate that no improvements were made to the 2012 product. The team ended up with the following players from the system playing a more than expected role on the big club, that includes Nava, Ciriaco, Kalish, Gomez, Iglisias, Lavarnway Mortensen & Tazawa. I believe that Ciriaco and Tazawa will definitely be back in 2013, and Lavarnway, Iglisias and Kalish or Nava might be back deoending on what acquisitions the team makes at their positions in the offseason.

I suspect the FO will acquire a major league level 1B and LF or RF to take over fulltime, along with one SP to fill the rotation. I hope they also upgrade at SS with a major league talent as I don't think Iglesias is or will ever be a major league hitter.

The new manager will come in with a clean slate and likely be either a recently retired player or former coach in Boston. Bobby Valentine was the in the wrong place at the wrong time and had no chance at succeeding since he was out of the game for a long period and he didn't have respect from the players from day 1. There's got to be a new attitude demanded by the organization or the players who don't want to conform get shipped out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

soxdog,

I agree entirely on the new attitude.  What I like about Beyeler is that he comes from 2 years of winning in Pawtucket, and years outside the Sox system prior to that.  What I like about Wallach is that he has been around Mattingly (who, of course spent time with the Yanks and with Joe Torre).  What I like about Ausmus is that he was a catcher who did not participate in the biggest collapse in Red Sox history (if not all of baseball).  What I don't like about Farrell is that he was complicit ni the 2008, 2009 and 2010 disappointments, and now has two years of losing (and sloppy baseball) in Toronto.

I hope the Sox get someone who has shown they have been and expectto be inners, and can bring an outsider's perspective in how to train and prepare for a successful season.  But then, the FO needs to completely support whatever new ideas and methods said manager brings to the table.  Bobby V had starkly different ideas and methods, and was completely stifled.  Without the full backing of upper management, I don't think it will matter who they bring in.  As I think you were implying, this team only changes the outcome of a season when someone comes in and changes the culture.

Sections
Shortcuts