Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2011/11/post_10.html

well deserved...wash it down with popeyes and lonestar.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011

Yep, deservedly so...Sox fans have had some very good times the last 10 years...sometimes you have to take your lumps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Sorry to disagree, atleast if I'm thinking about the biggest Gobblers in Boston.

I give that award to the group of Boston Blobe sports writers and fans who over blow anything about the Red Sox they possibly can to put a negative spin on any move the Red Sox may or may not make. I would extend that to cover the same treatment of all of the other local teams. 

Of course not to mention names but at the head of the list is Dan Shaughnessy,  the Globe's chief Gobbler.

Hetchinspete

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

SI is a waste of paper and ink.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

It's an irrelevant list without a mention of the NJ Jets.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011:
    [QUOTE]http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2011/11/post_10.html well deserved...wash it down with popeyes and lonestar.....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

How ridiculous to believe that the demise of the Sox was caused by chicken and beer. What's been covered in the press is not necessarily the reason behind anything. It does however point to a not-so-press-friendly player. There's a lot of wrong to go around, along with injuries -- yet again -- that had a major impact on the team.

If there was beer in the clubhouse, I seriously doubt it was one or two guys drinking it. They've had injured players for two seasons now. Players not in the game can't effect the game anyway. And the chicken was apparently one time. I think it's time to give the "chicken and beer" story a rest already.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

My initial reaction was

"SI? 2011?  Really?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Well we already know Ortiz shrinks at a challenge, if AGon goes on the DL Ortiz becomes useless.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011 : How ridiculous to believe that the demise of the Sox was caused by chicken and beer. What's been covered in the press is not necessarily the reason behind anything. It does however point to a not-so-press-friendly player. There's a lot of wrong to go around, along with injuries -- yet again -- that had a major impact on the team. If there was beer in the clubhouse, I seriously doubt it was one or two guys drinking it. They've had injured players for two seasons now. Players not in the game can't effect the game anyway. And the chicken was apparently one time. I think it's time to give the "chicken and beer" story a rest already.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

right Kim, and the... Red Sox record collapse in September was all a figment of the press' imagination....as was the side view of Beckett that resembled the Hindenburg...keep the faith sweetie!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011 : right Kim, and the... Red Sox record collapse in September was all a figment of the press' imagination....as was the side view of Beckett that resembled the Hindenburg...keep the faith sweetie!

Right, Geo, and the Red Sox record collapse in September was due to chicken (one time) and beer that guys were, supposedly, drinking when they weren't even playing. lol Why stop there? Why not include players who were in the game? It's been known to happen. Although, I've never seen it blamed for an entire team collapse before. Didn't David Wells pitch a perfect game hung over? And how many pitchers are actually in shape?

If there is one position where it doesn't seem to matter how overweight a player is it has to be pitcher. Not sure why the Sox are under such a microscope for that same position. There's plenty of blame to go around, and batting was a major part of that as well. Do you believe that pitchers drinking beer on their days off had an effect on the offense? Do you think they had an effect on leaving so many runners on base, when they managed to get there? Didn't we have a lot of major batting slumps in 2011? GMAB

I think the pitchers have really taken a beating on what was a collective collapse. There has been no mention of the offense at all as far as I can tell in any of these stories. They even seem a little "State specific" to me. Maybe the writers just don't like Texas. And FTR, I have no connection to Texas and have never even been there, but, IMO, it does appear that the criticism has been directed that way. Sorta like your "Lone Star" comment in your OP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Well deserved. The most epic collapse in the history of baseball. Doesn't matter why, is was what it was, ergo an easy choice for SI.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011 : Right, Geo, and the Red Sox record collapse in September was due to chicken (one time) and beer that guys were, supposedly, drinking when they weren't even playing. lol Why stop there? Why not include players who were in the game? It's been known to happen. Although, I've never seen it blamed for an entire team collapse before. Didn't David Wells pitch a perfect game hung over? And how many pitchers are actually in shape? If there is one position where it doesn't seem to matter how overweight a player is it has to be pitcher. Not sure why the Sox are under such a microscope for that same position. There's plenty of blame to go around, and batting was a major part of that as well. Do you believe that pitchers drinking beer on their days off had an effect on the offense? Do you think they had an effect on leaving so many runners on base, when they managed to get there? Didn't we have a lot of major batting slumps in 2011? GMAB I think the pitchers have really taken a beating on what was a collective collapse. There has been no mention of the offense at all as far as I can tell in any of these stories. They even seem a little "State specific" to me. Maybe the writers just don't like Texas. And FTR, I have no connection to Texas and have never even been there, but, IMO, it does appear that the criticism has been directed that way. Sorta like your "Lone Star" comment in your OP.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

apparently you think pedey, ells, marco, salty,and agon should take the blame as well??? how convenient...if our lard.azz pitchers had just pitched .500 then we would have cruised to the post season....you are fighting a battle this is over...your manager hero is gone because he was too weak to manage...that is a fact...Lackey has been shelved for a year...the other ingrates w/the exception of lester (the only guy to man up and admit error) are next....it must be nice to be clueless when watching your own team - i guess it takes a lot of the thinking out of the equation.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I would guess that 99% of most reasonable fans would place most of the blame on the players who were on the field during September than on a few beers and wings consumed by a several who were not playing that day. Once again Kim is the voice of reason and once again Georom is trying unsuccessfully to stir the pot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I would guess that 99% of most reasonable fans would place most of the blame on the players who were on the field during September than on a few beers and wings consumed by a several who were not playing that day. Once again Kim is the voice of reason and once again Georom is trying unsuccessfully to stir the pot.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Wow. This is frightening, but I actually agree with you here pike.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2011/11/post_10.html well deserved...wash it down with popeyes and lonestar.....

I agree that the Red Sox deserve this award this year.   I didn't even realize that SI had such an award.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Tim Wastefield was the biggest turkey for 2011, and Varitek was the biggest ham. Youth would have won at least two more games in 2011. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

WELL I AM NOT SURE THAT IS FAIR..... The EAGLES werew a dream team also, and I am not sure that they are doing anywhere near as well as the sox did.....LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

It's an irrelevant list without a mention of the NJ Jets.
    Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE]

You mean the same NJ Jets that went to the AFC Champonship game after they knocked the Patriots out of the playoffs in January 2011?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Tim Wastefield was the biggest turkey for 2011, and Varitek was the biggest ham. Youth would have won at least two more games in 2011. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

[QUOTE]It's an irrelevant list without a mention of the NJ Jets. Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE] You mean the same NJ Jets that went to the AFC Champonship game after they knocked the Patriots out of the playoffs in January 2011?
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

No, the NJ Jets that have told every other team to go home the last 3 preseasons because they are the SB champs. We all know how much a fail their last 2 seasons have been, but how are they doing right now when it's revelant? Are they even going to make the playoffs? Are they going to be the 3x Fail Bowl champions? After all, they are the defending champs. ;-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the eagles are not even close to the sox in terms of blowing it..the Phillies would actually be a good runner up but at least they made it to the post season - lets face it, the sox handed SI this choice on a platter with its September swoon...no sense crying over it...it happened...hopefully Bobby V rights the ship and we get back on track...wer still have a pretty awesome core with pedey, ells, and gonzo....im looking forward to 2012 - especially if we get rid of the vets and go younger...that will be exciting to watch....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

No sense in crying over it

But why did you start a thread over it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Love the Sox but that collapse deserves anything any writer wants to write about it.  It was horrendous, embarrassing and an utter disaster for the fans of the Sox. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox are SI's biggest turkey of 2011 : apparently you think pedey, ells, marco, salty,and agon should take the blame as well??? how convenient...if our lard.azz pitchers had just pitched .500 then we would have cruised to the post season....you are fighting a battle this is over...your manager hero is gone because he was too weak to manage...that is a fact...Lackey has been shelved for a year...the other ingrates w/the exception of lester (the only guy to man up and admit error) are next....it must be nice to be clueless when watching your own team - i guess it takes a lot of the thinking out of the equation.....

Again, if you can't bring any runs home it's not because of pitching, and it's not because of what pitchers, supposedly, were doing on their days off.

Blaming everything that happened to the Sox this season on September is ridiculous anyway. I don't know if you're aware of this, but they count an entire season's wins and losses to see if you make it into the playoffs. I'd love to see your analysis of April. Unless, of course, you forgot there is a month on the calendar called "April". Many writers did. Want to tell me who IYO was responsible for that? Amazing how all that seems to have been forgotten. I bet you believe it was the consumption of beer by players not in those games, too. Am I right?

I wonder if people drinking beer in the stands have an effect on the game? You should probably do an analysis of that while you're at it. lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]No sense in crying over it But why did you start a thread over it?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

LOL

Sections
Shortcuts