Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM,

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM,

An absolute bargain at 8 mil, then you have the 20 mil for CC and the 17 mil for Lackey...just makes me sick to see certain guys get keys to the vault while the Sox nickel and dime better players. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, a bargain, but about what was expected via arb. This helps us stay under the limit. I thought he might make $8-10M, so this is low-side of my projection. I hope we can get Papi to agree to closer to $12M than $14M.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM,:
    An absolute bargain at 8 mil, then you have the 20 mil for CC and the 17 mil for Lackey...just makes me sick to see certain guys get keys to the vault while the Sox nickel and dime better players. 
    Posted by dannycater

I see your point, but isn't that why arbitration was designed and implemented, to keep down the salaries of year 4-5-6 players?  They aren't bidding against anyone else....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's the system. Jacoby will get more than his worth later. It all balances out for the good players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

The one thing this Front Office has had great success with is knowing when to let players go. Derek Lowe may be an exception, but that was more for off the field concerns as much as it was his poor regular season in '04. Obviously signing other team's free agents is a different story...I don't think they have "penny pinched" at all when they liked a player...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This is about the best scenario the  Sox  and BenC could have hoped for. BenC I would suggest you take the bargain to the marketplace and see what potentially bound playoff teams would offer for Ells.

The Nats, Phils, Braves, Marlins, Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Royals, Yankees.

The NL teams I'm not very familiar with--this might be a place to start in the AL. 

Put Ells in CF at the Stadium in return for Pineda or Nova, Gardiner or Swisher and Nunez.

Put Ells in CF with the Phils for Shane Victorino, Vance Worley and Ty Wigginton.

Put Ells in CF for the Angels for Dan Haren and Peter Bourjos or Bourjos, Jerome Williams, and Callaspo.

Yes I think that's a fair return for second in the league MVP, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger and almost a guarantee he will sign a long term contract immediately if one is offered and it's fair.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM,:
    In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : I see your point, but isn't that why arbitration was designed and implemented, to keep down the salaries of year 4-5-6 players?  They aren't bidding against anyone else....
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

Absolutely, Sonics. I don't have a problem with the process, I just think that the Sox spend so much money on guys who never played an inning as a Sox. It just sickens me how much money was wasted on Lackey and CC. Neither were anywhere close to the figures they received, and in both cases, I believe were BEFORE they signed, bad long-term risks guys for different reasons. Of course, any team takes a chance when they sign someone for big money, but these two were not needs for the Sox, especially at the time each were signed. Ben was part of the GM team as was Larry, and the ownership. Only now, they are looking at fiscal responsibility. Just shows you what an utter waste of money that the Sox could surely use right now on so many different needs. Two guys, bad fits in Boston. No real forethought done on either prior to their arrivals.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is about the best scenario the  Sox  and BenC could have hoped for. BenC I would suggest you take the bargain to the marketplace and see what potentially bound playoff teams would offer for Ells. The Nats, Phils, Braves, Marlins, Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Royals, Yankees. The NL teams I'm not very familiar with--this might be a place to start in the AL.  Put Ells in CF at the Stadium in return for Pineda or Nova, Gardiner or Swisher and Nunez. Put Ells in CF with the Phils for Shane Victorino, Vance Worley and Ty Wigginton. Put Ells in CF for the Angels for Dan Haren and Peter Bourjos or Bourjos, Jerome Williams, and Callaspo. Yes I think that's a fair return for second in the league MVP, Gold Glove, Silver Slugger and almost a guarantee he will sign a long term contract immediately if one is offered and it's fair.
    Posted by MadMc44

There is zero chance that Els would ever be traded to NY. That being said, if they were so inclined, none of those trade offers would be accepted by NY. They don't need a bat, they need pitching and no way you get Nova or Pineda plus one of our starting OFer's and future SS for Els.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

jessey , I don't much care whether the Yankees put in an offer---wouldn't be bad having Ells and Grandy in the same OF would it.

I think there may be another taker or two out there that would part with a starting pitcher, a CF'der and another position player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : .......believe were BEFORE they signed, bad long-term risks guys for different reasons. Of course, any team takes a chance when they sign someone for big money, but these two were not needs for the Sox, especially at the time each were signed. ..........
    Posted by dannycater

What have trouble understanding is signing Lackey when they knew his elbow was at risk.  I'd have been fine with a performance like the 2005-2009 Lackey even at the high price....that's what successful FA starting pitchers cost.

His elbow may have been a contributor to his sub-par 2010 and certainly was the main cause of his 2011 disaster....and the "free" year we get due to the TJ is his age-36 season.  Perplexing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

jessey , I don't much care whether the Yankees put in an offer---wouldn't be bad having Ells and Grandy in the same OF would it. I think there may be another taker or two out there that would part with a starting pitcher, a CF'der and another position player.
    Posted by MadMc44

I personally like Els and think he will have an excellent career, but I would not bet the house on him matching last years numbers. Yes, him and Grandy together would be nice, but I like the way NY's OF is cnstructed and I believe Gardner has a lot more room for improvement.

I agree with you that there might be buyers out there, but not at the selling price you are stating.

Els one year deal does very little for teams with long tern salary issues as his $ numbers will continue to rise. There is no team control. Second, he has basically had one super breakout season. If you were talking about two straight seasons, then you might be closer to discussion. Third, he has Boras and that scares the cr*p out of some teams. Finally, why would Boston want to rid themselves of such a player? It makes no sense to me. He would seem to be a player that you would want to build around, not sell off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Heard Peter Gammons on MLB this afternoon say that the Mariners were willing to trade Pineda to Sox but only for Ellsbury which obviously the Sox declined.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox have lots of needs and are cash strapped.
    They need pitching and a dependable 3 b, in my estimation. Youk would be much healthier playing 1 b--so a trade including a guy like Nunez or Callaspo would be a nice addition and it would free up the Sox to move Youk. 
    I realize you are a card carrying member of the Evil Empire and I am a card carrying member of Red Sox Nation we may disagree on a few things--I would suggest that Ellsbury's recent accolades might be more important to the Steinbrenner's than they would be to you.

In addition Ells has two years of team control.
    Thanks for replying.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

It is wonderful that after we battled Softlaw for years on the forum on how good Jake is that we are now obsessed about trading him after he had a super year. Is Ellsbury ever going to bring even a ray of sunshine into our forum self-imposed darkroom. Woe is us, we don't deserve or know how to be happy.

The waiter brought me a sizzling steak to my table last night that was perfectly cooked and I decided to pass it up and trade it in for next week's Surf & Turf. A smart move, no?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

It is wonderful that after we battled Softlaw for years on the forum on how good Jake is that we are now obsessed about trading him after he had a super year. Is Ellsbury ever going to bring even a ray of sunshine into our forum self-imposed darkroom. Woe is us, we don't deserve or know how to be happy. The waiter brought me a sizzling steak to my table last night that was perfectly cooked and I decided to pass it up and trade it in for next week's Surf & Turf. A smart move, no?
    Posted by UticaClub

Yeah good move, a lot like trading Jitterbug.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

the good thing about arbitration is the underpaid and overpaid athletes cancel each other out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Heard Peter Gammons on MLB this afternoon say that the Mariners were willing to trade Pineda to Sox but only for Ellsbury which obviously the Sox declined.
    Posted by traven

Seattle settled for the Yankees top prospect , but wanted Ellsbury from us. Sounds like they are playing games. What would Yankee fans say if they had demanded Cano from them , then settled for Lavarnway from us?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Posted by traven

I  heard that from Gammons also. It is interesting that the Sox were talking to Seattle about Pineda. At least we know that Ben has been trying to make deals to improve the team. Pineda would have been a really nice addition, but I am glad that he kept Ellsbury for this year at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

7 is a better #

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : Seattle settled for the Yankees top prospect , but wanted Ellsbury from us. Sounds like they are playing games. What would Yankee fans say if they had demanded Cano from them , then settled for Lavarnway from us?
    Posted by dgalehouse

I'd say that'd be a deal for Seattle.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : Seattle settled for the Yankees top prospect , but wanted Ellsbury from us. Sounds like they are playing games. What would Yankee fans say if they had demanded Cano from them , then settled for Lavarnway from us?
    Posted by dgalehouse

What game would that be? Please don't go comparing Els to Cano just yet. As great as Els was last year, let's see if he can do it again.

I think Seattle asked for him knowing they had no shot, but no harm in asking. They probably figure like 80% of this forum that Els is gone from Boston the minute he can leave.

Sections
Shortcuts