Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM,

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM,

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM,:
    [QUOTE]An absolute bargain at 8 mil, then you have the 20 mil for CC and the 17 mil for Lackey...just makes me sick to see certain guys get keys to the vault while the Sox nickel and dime better players. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    I agree and I wish they had locked Ells into a longer term contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM,:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : What game would that be? Please don't go comparing Els to Cano just yet. As great as Els was last year, let's see if he can do it again. I think Seattle asked for him knowing they had no shot, but no harm in asking. They probably figure like 80% of this forum that Els is gone from Boston the minute he can leave.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    He may or may not be gone from Boston the minute he can leave , but he most certainly would be gone from Seattle. Also , I would rate him at least equal to Cano, at present.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : Seattle settled for the Yankees top prospect , but wanted Ellsbury from us. Sounds like they are playing games. What would Yankee fans say if they had demanded Cano from them , then settled for Lavarnway from us?
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    Can you blame M's hometown kid who would probably even take hometown discount and sign long term even w/ Boras as agent. Look Ellsbury puts up similar #'s next 2 years he will get his 20+ mil yr contract, it's up to him to earn it. But will say this I've always had this feeling that Ellsbury would like to play on left coast eventually, which would not be good news and might explain why RS have tried to move in the past.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : He may or may not be gone from Boston the minute he can leave , but he most certainly would be gone from Seattle. Also , I would rate him at least equal to Cano, at present.

This is funny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]great hammer please delete your post with my addy
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]Done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : He may or may not be gone from Boston the minute he can leave , but he most certainly would be gone from Seattle. Also , I would rate him at least equal to Cano, at present.

Then you rate Els as the best player and most important to the Sox and I would contend that Pedey and Gonzalez hold that distinction. They have done it year in and year out. How many players have we seen have that one amazing year and then flatten out as they go along. Not sayig Els will, but you don't know. The pressure on this kid to surpass what he did last year is going to be enormous. Let's just hope RSN doesn't expect the world of him, although I expect they will and heaven forbid if he doesn't meet those expectations.

FTR - Cano - middle IF, Els - OF. Therein lies a major difference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : Then you rate Els as the best player and most important to the Sox and I would contend that Pedey and Gonzalez hold that distinction. They have done it year in and year out. How many players have we seen have that one amazing year and then flatten out as they go along. Not sayig Els will, but you don't know. The pressure on this kid to surpass what he did last year is going to be enormous. Let's just hope RSN doesn't expect the world of him, although I expect they will and heaven forbid if he doesn't meet those expectations. FTR - Cano - middle IF, Els - OF. Therein lies a major difference.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]I was with you until you noted the importance of their respective positions. SS's are more valueable the CF'ers but not 2nd. baseman's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : I was with you until you noted the importance of their respective positions. SS's are more valueable the CF'ers but not 2nd. baseman's.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE]

IMO - Middle IFer's who produce such gigantic numbers will always be considered a level above. IMHO - Pedey is worth far more than Els just on the basis of position. Add in everything else and Pedey is the only other 2b in baseball who comes close to Cano, so I do believe that the position played is slightly more important. And I do believe that Pedey is the most import player on the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : IMO - Middle IFer's who produce such gigantic numbers will always be considered a level above. IMHO - Pedey is worth far more than Els just on the basis of position. Add in everything else and Pedey is the only other 2b in baseball who comes close to Cano, so I do believe that the position played is slightly more important. And I do believe that Pedey is the most import player on the Sox.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Most if not all baseball exec's put a higher value on SS's, catchers and CF'ers then they do with 2nd. baseman. Pedey is more valuable to the Sox than Jacoby but not because he plays at 2nd. That said your entitled to whatever opinion you settle on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : Seattle settled for the Yankees top prospect , but wanted Ellsbury from us. Sounds like they are playing games. What would Yankee fans say if they had demanded Cano from them , then settled for Lavarnway from us?

Gammons also said that the Seattle mgmt wanted Montero over Smoak in the Lee trade but were over ruled by the owner.

Then went on to say that they have coveted Montero for some time and want him in the middle of their line-up for the next 7 years, they compared him to Edgar because he uses the entire field.

Truth of the matter is the Sox didn't have a prospect as valuable as Montero to offer and why Seattle asked for Ellsbury. Simply a compliment to Montero.

Don't hand me this Lavarnway stuff, when he was 21, Montero's current age he was at "A" ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Next up the Hingham Hammock.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Crawford is an example of what not to do with prima donna Ellsbury. Red Sox are stuck with 20M for Crawford, but they can improve the team a lot by getting rid of Ellsbury via trade and not paying him 20M or more to become a FA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]Next up the Hingham Hammock.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]How are you doing now that you draw SOCIAL SECURITY. Bet that extra money helps out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : How are you doing now that you draw SOCIAL SECURITY. Bet that extra money helps out.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE]

I don't collect SS (yet) and don't need to. I work full time but collect on two pensions. I will collect SS because I've put money into it my entire life but when I begin to collect I will for the maximum amount while I continue working.

I started working as a young boy with paper routes, haven't stopped working since, I'll always work it keeps me active and sharp, my last day of work will be on the day my dirt nap starts.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : I don't collect SS (yet) and don't need to. I work full time but collect on two pensions. I will collect SS because I've put money into it my entire life but when I begin to collect I will for the maximum amount while I continue working. I started working as a young boy with paper routes, haven't stopped working since, I'll always work it keeps me active and sharp, my last day of work will be on the day my dirt nap starts.
    Posted by ThatWasMe
    Down deep you are a good guy and unlike many posters have insight to the game of baseball. I for one hope that dirt nap you referred to is way down the road. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Avoid Arbitration With Jacoby Ellsbury-a deal worth $8.05MM, : IMO - Middle IFer's who produce such gigantic numbers will always be considered a level above. IMHO - Pedey is worth far more than Els just on the basis of position. Add in everything else and Pedey is the only other 2b in baseball who comes close to Cano, so I do believe that the position played is slightly more important. And I do believe that Pedey is the most import player on the Sox.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I share your opinion. Positional value is often overlooked by many. For example, people blasted VTek for his poor hitting, but failed to realize that even last year, he had an OPS that was better than about half the starting catchers in MLB. To go a step further, paying a 1Bman over $20M to be the 5th or 6th best in the league could be viewed as a waste of money when you compare just how much better the 6th best 1Bman is over an average one (#14-16). 

Ellsbury is very valuable to this team, and it's hard to say who is the most valuable, but Pedey is much better than the #15 2Bman in MLB. I'd guess more so that Jacoby is over the 15th best CF'er in MLB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m