Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager

In Response to Re: Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager : Obama really?? I suppose that youre a Bush republican? And what did he do besides making a mess of everything?
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

He did a much better job than the idiot you are defending.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Wouldn't it just make more sense for you to just go away?"

Yah. Utica Club is on a very strange and irrelevant mission to continually point out the obvious.

As for Valentine, I do like that he won't shrink from the role and has a good tactical baseball mind. My concern is that he seems a bit like an egomaniacal, bridge burning jerk. But, we're not looking for humanitarians here, but for someone who an win baseball games. My concern is that Lucchino took non-baseball factors into account here, but in the end, if Valentine wins, then I'll be happy and I suspect most of us will. 

On the plus side maybe Botox194whatever will simply go away now that his sole desire to come in here and bash the first manager to win a World Series with the Red Sox in decades (twice over) is also irrelevant. I thought it was time for Francona to move on but Valentine isn't a better manager than Francona here until he wins like Francona did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager : I think it's a great choice. A 100% improvement. Under the exact same circumstances as in 2011, it would be a 10 game improvement over the previous manager.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

more i think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager : Agreed, I don't understand this move. Valentine got it I think partly due to political reasons and pseudo reputation vs qualification. However, it's tough replacing a legend. On the plus side, he has a little Billy Martin in him. (Without the booze)
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

NH,

Valentine's a good baseball guy, knows his stuff. From where I sit I see this hire in much the same way as when they hired Grady Little. Who when he was hired took over a clubhouse that had soured under Duquette, Jimy Williams and then Kerrigan. His primary to do after taking over as skipper was to change the culture and get the players all going in the same direction and open the lines of communication with the GM. Little's easy going manner and southern charm worked well enough, had it not been for his brain cramp in 2003 we may never have hired Francona...

In Valentine the Sox have a guy that's savy enough to come into the current enviornment, command the respect of the players and will recruit the best available coaches to help him. Probably as important is he won't have any problems dealing with the press (no small task) and the stage that is being the Mananger of the Boston Red Sox. In terms of profile he's a good fit when you factor in all of the tangables and his moixy with the press might well be his best attribute given the current dynamics...

That said, It remains to be seen if this is a long term hire or one that is a bridge to someone else? Much depends on how well he intergrates into the Sox management culture and the relantionship he fosters with Cherington. If he can assimilate and be seen as a company man and not stray too far from the ideals and the mission. Given the quality of the players and the resources available this might represent his best chance to finally win a ring and cement his legesey...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager : Obama really?? I suppose that youre a Bush republican? And what did he do besides making a mess of everything?
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

If the CA implies you are from CA then I understand your supporting Obama who has accomplished nothing but make Jimmy Carter look good. BUSH tried to reform FANNIE MAE/ FREDDIE MAC but was stopped by the likes of MAXINE WATERS[CA] AND BARNEY FRANK[MA]. Go back to your OWS concave.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Good Choice, Valentine is a very knowledgeable baseball mind.  On the other hand Francona was a knowledgeable baseball mind as well.  The difference will be the approach to the players, the approach to spring training, the approach to everyday baseball operations in the clubhouse and on the field.  I think that the new approach will infuse some accountability and motivation within these players.  What I am really waiting to see is just how bad the game of "monkey in the middle" that Cherington will have to play to accomplish anything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Hey he might be able to resurrect Dice K's career in Boston. I am willing to see what Bobby V can do. Let's get started and put a team together now.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

All I know is that AL East players better start wearing more body armor when they are standing in the batter's box.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Valentine was the right choice, the problem is, will the players play for him or throw him under the bus.
    Guys like Pedey, Agon, Ells, and possibly Youk are probably glad to finally see a no-nonsense guy, while Beckett, Lester, and a couple other prima-donnas may not take to kindly to Bobby V.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Good choice and clearly the best of the names mentioned as contenders for the job. He's a bit emotional, which some may have difficulty getting used to after the perpetually flat affected Francona, but I will personally be happy to see a bit more passion. Just glad to see this move announced already. Gotta wonder if we'd have waited longer had it not been for the Shaughnessy artice. Now let's get an offer on the table for Ortiz (2 yrs $10 mil per with incentives and a club/player option for 3rd), and start moving with some sense of urgency for a closer before we're left pouring over scraps. Bard needs another year of curing folks, and he's a great set up guy. Finally, I really think we need to make a play for a stud starter. We all know Beckett's penchant for taking every other year off effort wise, and with all the fingers pointed his way this off season he could become a bit petulant. Regardless, we need a top flight arm to take pressure off our soon to be rebuilt bullpen. Assuming Youk's healthy, we won't need much more to be competitive this season. Just gotta hope Buch stays healthy too!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

In Response to Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager:
    [QUOTE]WBZ TV Steve Burton said ESPN.com Boston is reporting Lamont is out.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

It's been a bit since I posted because of frustration with our recent managerial decisions but I am happy the Sox may be attempting to finally turn the corner.  I never felt bringing back or relying on players who had great careers but could no longer help the team very much like JD, Cam, Tek and Wake were the answer.  With Tito and Theo I felt pretty much the same even though we won a couple WC.  Tito was a players manager with little backbone, or maybe just a passive guy who hated confrontation so sooner or later it would be taken advantage of.  With Theo it was just a Matter of time when we missed the Playoffs after signing guys like Lackey, Jenks, Wheeler, Crawford and many others since 2007.

As far as Valentine, it was a surprise but we do get a solid baseball mind who will not only tell you he is right all the time, but also discipline players if they don't work towards the same goal.

I'm hoping for a huge season in 2012, hopefully this includes Papi and a few more important pieces needed in order to get us back to the PS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Redsox just went from class act to class clown. At least it wont be a dull moment with Bobby. Redsox making all the right moves...lol.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Valentine was the right choice, the problem is, will the players play for him or throw him under the bus. Guys like Pedey, Agon, Ells, and possibly Youk are probably glad to finally see a no-nonsense guy, while Beckett, Lester, and a couple other prima-donnas may not take to kindly to Bobby V.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Nah, they will all be fine with him.  And, not really sure, other than the bud-lite/chicken connection, why you would call Lester a primadonna in the Beckett mold.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE] what separates bobby is his experience with the big town press and his ability / wish to have the attention on him vs the players
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I agree with zac on this important point.  A slump by a big name player is a big story in Boston unless there's another story for the media to focus on.  Bobby will always provide that other story.  This alone may help him get a lot more out of the players.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

The complaints we recently read about TF are the same things we have always knew about where ever he went.  As long as Boston was winning ownership was willing to put up with it.

The first thing BV will bring right away is discipline and some of the guys will not like this. We will see them gone.  I think a guy like Josh B will thrive in this type of environment.

The second thing If Daisuke Matsuzaka has anything left there is no one better than Bobby V to get it out of him.

Third is that he is a tremendous evaluator of talent both on the major league and minor league level.  I always will remember how when everyone was touting Oddibe McDowell as the next great thing since slice bread.  His manager BV honestly said this will be as good as it gets with him.  There are only three managers in our division Joe M, Buck and now BV who will give their fans honest answers.

Fourth, again like BV, Joe M and Buck no one from management will tell them how to manage a game without being thrown out of his office on their ears.

Fifth, No one in the AL including that guy in California Mike S will out manage him or out fox him.

Sixth, he will make Boston better  just by his presence.

As a group the AL East will have the best managers in baseball

Joe G

BV

Joe M

Buck

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]The complaints we recently read about TF are the same things we have always knew about where ever he went.  As long as Boston was winning ownership was willing to put up with it. The first thing BV will bring right away is discipline and some of the guys will not like this. We will see them gone.  I think a guy like Josh B will thrive in this type of environment. The second thing If Daisuke Matsuzaka has anything left there is no one better than Bobby V to get it out of him. Third is that he is a tremendous evaluator of talent both on the major league and minor league level.  I always will remember how when everyone was touting Oddibe McDowell as the next great thing since slice bread.  His manager BV honestly said this will be as good as it gets with him.  There are only three managers in our division Joe M, Buck and now BV who will give their fans honest answers. Fourth, again like BV, Joe M and Buck no one from management will tell them how to manage a game without being thrown out of his office on their ears. Fifth, No one in the AL including that guy in California Mike S will out manage him or out fox him. Sixth, he will make Boston better  just by his presence. As a group the AL East will have the best managers in baseball Joe G BV Joe M Buck
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE] hey cueball, long time no see, how are ya?..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Hope he can keep the team up for the whole season. The O's with Buck showalter started out great, but fizzel out after the Allstar break. Granted O's have a lesser team than Sox.

Its a marathon, not a race.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Hope he hires a decent bench coach...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The complaints we recently read about TF are the same things we have always knew about where ever he went.  As long as Boston was winning ownership was willing to put up with it. The first thing BV will bring right away is discipline and some of the guys will not like this. We will see them gone.  I think a guy like Josh B will thrive in this type of environment. The second thing If Daisuke Matsuzaka has anything left there is no one better than Bobby V to get it out of him. Third is that he is a tremendous evaluator of talent both on the major league and minor league level.  I always will remember how when everyone was touting Oddibe McDowell as the next great thing since slice bread.  His manager BV honestly said this will be as good as it gets with him.  There are only three managers in our division Joe M, Buck and now BV who will give their fans honest answers. Fourth, again like BV, Joe M and Buck no one from management will tell them how to manage a game without being thrown out of his office on their ears. Fifth, No one in the AL including that guy in California Mike S will out manage him or out fox him. Sixth, he will make Boston better  just by his presence. As a group the AL East will have the best managers in baseball Joe G BV Joe M Buck
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox, Bobby Valentine agree to deal Valentine is Sox manager : hey cueball, long time no see, how are ya?..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    Doing ok, thanks jete. Not much to rib you on lately, hopefully events will pick up.

25. This post has been removed.