Red Sox bullpen burning out early from overuse

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Red Sox bullpen burning out early from overuse

Homie you are out of your mind. The bullpen with the exception of hanrahan(injury) so far has been pretty good.tonight they looked like the bullpen we thought we had going into the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We do need some arms though right now. At least one minimum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I wonder what the long term plan for de la Rosa is. I know he is on a strict innings count this year because of tommy john surgery so it could make sense to convert him into a reliever where he can let go and ramp it up for a single inning. He could be a useful power arm in the pen.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Does anybody have any current news about Franklin Morales?  He could certainly come in handy about now.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Some will say you're crazy----bring back Aceves before he throws his next starting pitch which is tonight or tomorrow. He has been a closer he has been a long guy, he can pitch everyday.

RDLR is a possibility--he had another good outing last night--4 innings 50 + pitches--0 runs.

Move Doubie to the pen or Dempster to the pen and bring up Webster to go into the rotation.

Trade Doubie to Cleveland for Perez.

Trade Doubie to the Pirates for Melancon.

Or bring up Chris Martin from the Sea Dogs---I think he's closing in on 20 scoreless innings since the start of the season.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I wonder what the long term plan for de la Rosa is. I know he is on a strict innings count this year because of tommy john surgery so it could make sense to convert him into a reliever where he can let go and ramp it up for a single inning. He could be a useful power arm in the pen.

I think he ends up in the pen, but the Sox are going to give him more time as a starter so who knows.  He couldn't pitch in games last year when he should of been on a rehab assignment because of the trade, he's a ways away.  I think he could pitch sooner as a reliver, but I'm not sure if the sox go there just yet.

Now would be an ideal time for Bard to find himself

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Same issue as 2012. Offense doesn't socre enough runs consistently enough, and the expensive starting pitching staff in the form of Dumpster and Lackey are about 30 million a year for 5 or 6 IP.

Any GM who is paying Dumpster and Lackey 30 million a year is not competent.

If manager John doesn't stop overusing the pen, there are going to be serious dead arms in there.

Get Doubront out of rotation. Guys who pitch 4-6 innings are part of the reason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

MadMC just because a pitcher is versatile and can go everyday doesn't make it a good thing if they are terrible.

"BT" What does the "T" stand for? Must be a Terrible-Burritto. Who says Aceves is terrible--he may not be the best player in the Sox org. but he isn't terrible. He probably won't be called up after one 6 inn. appearance, 2hits, 0 runs. 

I would agree just because someone is versatile and can pitch everyday doesn't make it a good thing. I do know you can't pitch Ue and Taz and Mort everyday. Miller seems to pitch better when he throws frequently.

Wilson appears to need some time off--perhaps swap him for a minor leaguer. Problem is there aren't many choices on the 40: Bard, Britton, Webster, Wright, Rubby and Aceves. Those are your Minor League choices.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Same issue as 2012. Offense doesn't socre enough runs consistently enough, and the expensive starting pitching staff in the form of Dumpster and Lackey are about 30 million a year for 5 or 6 IP.

If manager John doesn't stop overusing the pen, there are going to be serious dead arms in there.

Look at the game logs. The bullpen has been extremely good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Realistic" posters burning out early from too many negative posts, despite positive results so far. Need to understand true meaning of realistic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Anybody else notice that that whenever Softy predicts something the oposite happens??  Keep up the great work young man!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox have played a lot of games to date and still have the best record in the AL even after losing all three at Texas.  Given the problems with both Hanrahan and Bailey, neither of whom came in close to being overused, Farrell and the FO have done a good job of juggling the bullpen.  Lackey and Dempster cannot be blamed for bullpen issues. 

As was already pointed out, softlaw is stuck with anticipating disaster because a real one hasn't happened yet.  These Sox have been way better than old softy ever thought they would be given that he is not the GM. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

How much is the "BIG O" paid  ???????

Bill, What on earth are you talking about ??

Hetch

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Year in, year out the average innings per start across baseball is slightly above or below 6.  A number of posters develop a dislike for certain players then just make up rubbish and repeat it ad nauseum.

• Dempster's 2013 innings/start:  6.0
    • Lackey's 2013 innings/start:  5.33, including the first game where he left injured

Overall in 2013, the Sox were almost exactly league average at 5.99 IP / start through 31 games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re Doubrant, I agree he needs to go deeper into games, but 5.4 IP / start is less than two outs / game under the league average, hardly a disaster.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ben inherited Lackey's contract. He is obliged to pay it. I guess those details just don't matter to clowns.

Breslow, Bailey and Hanrahan's injuries were not a result of overuse. 

Our 2013 starters have averaged exatly 6 IP per start (192/32).

Our 2012 starters averaged 5.73 IP per start. That a pretty significant differential- unnoticed by the clown.

On offense:

In 2012 our offense scored 0-3 runs 79 times (48.8%), 4 runs 17 times, and 5+ runs 66 times. The median runs scored was 4.

In 2013 our offense has scored 0-3 runs 12 times (37.5%), 4 runs 2 times, and 5+ runs 18 times. The median runs scored is 5.

More facts the clown is ignoring.

The clown other favorite ploy is to claim the Sox offense is aided by playing half the games at Fenway. While true, he ignores the fact that we are a top 3 road OPS team so far this year.

Our staff has done a great job so far this season. Of course it is early, and I don't expect these numbers to hold up all year, but so far...

The 2013 staff & defense has allowed ...

0-3 runs 16 times (50%)

4 runs 6 times (19%)

5 runs 5 times (16%)

6+ runs 5 times (16%, including just 6% with 9 or more runs allowed))

The 2012 staff:

0-3  34%

4      15%

5      15%

6+    35% (including 13% with 9 or more runs allowed)

These numbers show the main difference between 2012 and 2013. No, it's not "giddiness". I realize the season is early, and we are bound to hit some more rough patches over the next few months, but there are sure some signs of things turning around that the clown chooses to ignore out of some ego driven need to feel superior and all- knowing.

Sections
Shortcuts