Red Sox Buyers or Sellers this off-season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Red Sox Buyers or Sellers this off-season?

Who is added and subtracted to the Sox and why.

Trades, FA pickups?

What do Sox get for Theo?

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Red Sox Buyers or Sellers this off-season?

Garza for Theo, see if they take Lakey and Sox pay half salary.

Sign Jimmy Rollins

Sign Vladie

Rid of Papi, Wake and V-tek (sorry guys)

Sign Tony Pena Manager
    Sign Dave Martinez - bench coach
    Sign Beane

Hire Fisk

Just for starters...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

B level prospects for Theo, people are dreaming if they think the Cubs give up legit players.

Attempt, to no avail, to trade Beckett and Lackey.

Pick up Scutaro's option.

Sign Cuddyer for RF

No big FA pickups. Only big moves I see happening are if they are able to get a deal done for Beckett/Lackey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

gbman87603

If Texas doenst sign CJ Wilson, see if Beckett/Lackey can be a package deal to Texas, as Beckett has his ranch there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

Ryan Lavarnway was voted The Sporting News 2011 minor league C of the yr. Every article I read abt him says that he's ML ready. Let him DH, bkup Salty and give him some work at 1B and he can spell Agon who was clearly burned-out at the end of the season. All the drama didn't help I'm sure. Dice-K and Drew gone, Ortiz, Wakefield, Varitek, McDonald and Lackey should not be on the 2012 roster. Youkilis should be shopped due to diminishing skills and adverse relationship w/Ellsbury. Will Middlebrooks should be given a long look in ST as Youkilis's replacement at 3B Time for the Sox to get younger. No more retread signings plz whoever takes over as GM. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Nothing major in terms of "new" players is going to happen. Maybe, maybe, just one big move....the rest will be our typical mid level, old, non-productive player or pitcher and prospects.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Buyers or Sellers this off-season?:
    [QUOTE]gbman87603 If Texas doenst sign CJ Wilson, see if Beckett/Lackey can be a package deal to Texas, as Beckett has his ranch there.
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

They would be taking on a lot of money there....I guess we assume the sox will eat a larg chunk of both contracts? Maybe Beckett, but not sure what they would want with Lackey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Ryan Lavarnway was voted The Sporting News 2011 minor league C of the yr. Every article I read abt him says that he's ML ready. Let him DH, bkup Salty and give him some work at 1B and he can spell Agon who was clearly burned-out at the end of the season. All the drama didn't help I'm sure. Dice-K and Drew gone, Ortiz, Wakefield, Varitek, McDonald and Lackey should not be on the 2012 roster. Youkilis should be shopped due to diminishing skills and adverse relationship w/Ellsbury. Will Middlebrooks should be given a long look in ST as Youkilis's replacement at 3B Time for the Sox to get younger. No more retread signings plz whoever takes over as GM. 
    Posted by chiefret[/QUOTE]

How about let Salty DH, backup C and spell Agon, since Salty is a terrible defensive catcher.
    I agree with most everything else, except I would keep Wake and trade Youk to Texas for Young.
    Dmac is a good guy and a decent bench player so I'd hang onto him as well, and I hope Dice comes back, he's actually a better pitcher than given credit and fields his position better than any of the other starters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Buyers or Sellers this off-season? : How about let Salty DH, backup C and spell Agon, since Salty is a terrible defensive catcher. I agree with most everything else, except I would keep Wake and trade Youk to Texas for Young. Dmac is a good guy and a decent bench player so I'd hang onto him as well, and I hope Dice comes back, he's actually a better pitcher than given credit and fields his position better than any of the other starters.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

What would be the point of keeping wake? I think there are plenty of guys who can spot start and give them a 5.50 ERA without self promoting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Buyers or Sellers this off-season? : They would be taking on a lot of money there....I guess we assume the sox will eat a larg chunk of both contracts? Maybe Beckett, but not sure what they would want with Lackey.
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]
    Josh Beckett and John Lackey might want to return home to Texas, but I question the interest in the discredited duo by the likely two-time defending American League champions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Buyers or Sellers this off-season? : Josh Beckett and John Lackey might want to return home to Texas, but I question the interest in the discredited duo by the likely two-time defending American League champions.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Can't really disagree...although I think Beckett still has substantial value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The left side of the infield needs a complete makeover. A converted 1B and a converted 2B manned the left side and it showed. I can't think of one stellar play that either Youk or Scut made this year.

I would bring up Iglesias and start him at SS for the 2012 season, for better or worse.
    The FA list for 3B is dismal so we will either need to trade or field what we have. Youk is an accident waiting to happen and was on the DL 7 times this year. More of the same coming for 2012 I fear, so he needs to be dealt. perhaps Texas would do an even swap for Young. dealing for Wright is less likely.
    The other option some say is Middlebrooks but I say give Conor Jackson a shot.
    He's still young and didn't get much of an opportunity to prove himself.

The other concern IMO is the catching. Most on here like Salty, but he is simply a medicore catcher, and Varitek is just too old. The RS allowed 156 SBs in 2011 30+ more than the next highest team.
    Again, the list is slim for FAs except for one name, Yadier Molina, but the Cards will try hard to re-sign him.
    Again maybe a trade is in order. I kind of like Arencibia or Santana. Both have tremendous power and i think the K's will come down and the Avgs up over time. Both are just 25.
    Or, we can roll the dice as well with Lavarnway and see what we get through a full season with him behind the plate.
    Salty was a Theo crush, let him go to the Cubs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

RSOX NEED TO SIGN PRINCE FIELDER OR ALBERT PUJOLS! .. AND TRADE YOUKILIS FOR A BIG STARTING PITCHER! ..

1-(L) Ellsbury CF 
    2-(R) Pedroia 2B 
    3-(L) Adrian Gonzalez 1B 
    4-(L) Prince Fielder DH 
    5-(R) Michael Cuddyer RF 
    6-(L) Carl Crawford LF 
    7-(R) Will Middlebrooks 3B 
    8- (S) Jarrod Saltalamacchia C 
    9- (R) Jose Iglesias SS

-Lester -Beckett -Pitcher come from Youkilis trade -Buchholz -Aceves

John Lackey, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Lars Anderson available to trade for relievers 
    New blood, New people, renovate atmosphere in the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

First of all, I would really like to see Sox pushing hard to sign Prince.. The guy said it.. He doesn't care if he only hits... So what he costs a lot of money.. He's worth it in Fenway.  He will bring that fierce offense and spark in the clubhouse. 

Josh Beckett & Josh Reddick & Brett Jackson(If we get him from Theo compensation) for Nelson Cruz & Matt Harrison- I know he's prone to injuries lately but he produces enough of every offensive categories even with missing some times with injuries.. If Sox can make him stay healthy, he will be one of the most valuable outfielder.

2012 lineup

Ells CF
    Peddy 2B
    Agon 1B
    Prince DH
    Nelly RF
    Youk/ Middlesbrook 3B (give Youk some rest time to time)
    Carl Crawford LF
    Salty/ Lavarnway C
    Scutaro/ Iggy SS

Rotation

Lester
    Oswalt
    Buch
    Harrison
    Aceves
    Lackey

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

C- Keep Salty/promote Lavarnway
    1B - Keep A-Gonz
    2B - Keep Dustin P.
    SS - Keep Scutaro (free agents are thin for SS position, but the top two or three SS free agents would be asking big fat contract such as Reyes/Rollins. Forget them), resign Aviles for backup
    3B - Trade Youkilis, and sign either Armis Rameriz or Jorge Cantu.  Why trading Youkilis.  He starting to have hip problem.  Look at A-Rod, he starting to miss bunch of games for two years in a row due hip problem.  I can see identical problems between these two except one is making more money than other
    LF- keep Crawford
    CF- Keep Ellsbury
    RF - Sign Josh Willingham or Dejesus (I know he is a leftie, but if Boston happen to sign Rameriz or Cantu, then go after him).  Platoon with Kalish.  
    P- Beckett, Lester, Bucholtz, Aceves (maybe give him a chance to start)
    trade Lackey.  I know most people wanted to see Beckett to be trade before Lackey, but he is much cheaper than keeping Lackey.  Lackey cant handle the pressure in Boston at all. Only Becket can.  Then try to sign either Paul Malholm of Pitt, Edwin Jackson, Adam Wainwright of Cardinals, Buehrle, etc.
    BP- Bard, Aceves, Jenk, Elber, etc all coming back due they are under contract
    sign Papelbon cuz there are not much choice.  If you want Bard to close, then who will be a set up man.  That will mess up the chemistry.  If Papelbon decides to leave, then sign Maydson of Phillies or Health Bell.  There are no such a good reasonable set up man via free agency.  

Bench - Larvanway, Aviles, Kalish and Middlebrook/Igelisis

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]C- Keep Salty/promote Lavarnway 1B - Keep A-Gonz 2B - Keep Dustin P. SS - Keep Scutaro (free agents are thin for SS position, but the top two or three SS free agents would be asking big fat contract such as Reyes/Rollins. Forget them), resign Aviles for backup 3B - Trade Youkilis, and sign either Armis Rameriz, Jorge Cantu.  Why trading Youkilis.  He starting to have hip problem.  Look at A-Rod, he starting to miss games two years in a row due hip problem.  I can see identical problems between these two except one is making more money than other LF- keep Crawford CF- Keep Ellsbury RF - Sign Josh Willingham or Dejesus (I know he is a leftie, but if Boston sign Rameriz, then go after him).  Platoon with Kalish.   P- Beckett, Lester, Bucholtz, Aceves (maybe give him a chance to start) trade Lackey.  I know most people wanted to see Beckett to be trade before Lackey, but he is much cheaper than keeping Lackey.  Lackey cant handle the pressure in Boston. Only Becket can.  Then try to sign either Paul Malholm of Pitt, Edwin Jackson, Adam Wainwright of Cardinals, Buehrle, etc. BP- Bard, Aceves, Jenk, Elber, etc all coming back due they are under contract sign Papelbon cuz there are not much choice.  If you want Bard to close, then who will be a set up man.  That will mess up the chemistry.  If Papelbon decides to leave, then sign Maydson of Phillies or Health Bell. Bench - Larvanway, Aviles, Kalish and Middlebrook/Igelisis
    Posted by 4079efa6860279c229d23166fa17dfda[/QUOTE]

I dont see any upgrades for both bats and arms.. Sox aren't shaking whole team around just to downgrade.  With new GM and manager, ownerships are going to bring some shocking names (players) to this club for next season (I would say 2 or 3)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No arms?  Got Beckett, Lester, Bucholtz and whoever the forth guy that Boston could sign one of the free agent such as Edwin Jackson or Wainwright or Maholm, etc.  The fifth guy could be via trade such as trading Youkilis or Lackey or both.  Then back up starter will be Aceves and Weiland.  I do not think it is a downgrade for the rotation.  For your information, every team do not have a strong 5 man rotation.  Even the Phillies dont have a strong 5 man rotation cuz they have saw Oswalt and Hamel and few other bottom of the rotation guys have missed alot of starts last year.  Boston isnt going to shell out 10 millions plus more dollars a year for each two new free agent pitchers!!  75% of these available free agent pitchers are all past the age of 30 years old!!!  

For bats:  subtracting Youkilis, Papi and Drew
    Add Rameriz(or Cantu) and Willingham/Dejesus/  Then the new DH could be for anyone such as to use Lavarnway or Salty or whoever need a defense rest for that day!!  Meaning Boston will have more right handed hitters in the line up than having a too lefty line up!!  Think about that.  That was the problem this year especially in the month of September where there were alot of September call ups for these opponents, and these opponents managers were using bunch of left handed relievers to shut down Boston line up in the last three something innings for most September games.  That was why we all saw that Boston fail to get these comeback wins after the 7 innings!!  

That was the problem for the month of september where these opponents use alot of call up pitchers to able to match up the lefty against lefty as well Boston starting pitchers were terrible.  

But if Boston want Papi to come back, meaning Boston need to have a right hitting RF and 3B!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

If the sox want to re-establish credibility, they need to make some big moves. Guys like wake, tek, drew, should all be let go. Lackey needs to be traded even if it means eating money. I have heard some people mention the idea of getting david wright from the mets. I like the idea but i am not sure how likely this option is. If the mets decide to move him, the sox should be right at the front of the line. Also, the sox need to let david ortiz go. He is 36 and wants a multi year deal. No thanks. The one big free agent the sox need to sign is prince fielder. He is the kind of player they need. He brings that same spark and aggression manny did when he was with the sox. Thats what the sox need and were severely lacking this past year.We would have the best 3/4 combo in the league and would have a true number 4 hitter. Now i know some people have said " he would want too much money for a dh". Think about this, we have been paying david ortiz 12.5 million a year since he signed his contract extension with the sox. fielder will likely get somewhere between 18.5-21 mill per. Say he gets 20 mill per, thats only 7.5 mill more than the sox are paying ortiz. Chances are we are going to go cheap in right field with either kalish or reddick or perhaps there is talk that the sox may get brett jackson from the cubs as compensation for them signing theo. He could certainly be an option as well. He hit 20 homers between AA and AAA this past year and is considered to be the cubs top prospect. Drew was making 14.5/15 mill per and will now be off the books. We have mike camerons 9 mill coming off the books. We will have plenty of money coming off the books. Our line up next year could be :

crawford
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    fielder
    ellsbury
    youk 
    brett jackson/ryan kalish
    larvarnway
    scutaro/iglesias

looks pretty good to me.

In terms of pitching, we need a front of the rotation starter. Ther has been some names thrown around when it comes to starters that could be available. Trevor Cahill is one who i like and think he would fit in well with this team. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

every team in the majors knows the sox have too many bad contracts as well as too many bad actors...no team is gonna give them fair value in any trade.The sox see youklis as an experienced vet who's a pretty good fielder...the other teams see him as a high priced salary dump,ain't no decent starter coming in exchange for youklis.The sox see Becket as an ace starter...the other teams see him as a $50 million headcase,no way they will give fair value in a trade.The sox can't trade their way out of the mess they're in.