Red Sox Catcher of the Future?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Red Sox Catcher of the Future?

This is going to be interesting with the three catchers the Sox have.

I like to see a trade for Miguel Montero of Diamondbacks. He is a FA next year and appears he may not be signed long term.

Thoughts on the catcher(s) position and outlook for 2012.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Red Sox Catcher of the Future?

Salty showed enough last year to give him another opportunity and he's apparently taking a leadership role this spring, Lavarnway is knocking on the door and even a forgotten guy like Exposito was raved about by Bobby V. today. There's a good chance that the catching position is in good hands for a while...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

If he stay healthy, Salty should do a good job.  It's also nice to know that we have quality catchers in waiting.  Very underated position but very vital. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I honestly thought that Luis Exposito was the catcher of the future but apparently something has either gone awry or I'm not a very good judge of the position.

As for catchers in waiting? Expect little in the way of an All Star or potential All Star then again...recent WS Champs: St Louis: Molina, San Francisco: Posey, New York: Posada, Philadelphia: Ruiz...

...Salty in that class?

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia ƅ MLB
    C Kelly Shoppach MLB  
    C Ryan Lavarnway MLB
    C Max St. Pierre MLB
    C Luis Exposito AAA
    C Dan Butler AA*
    C Matt Spring AA*
    C Josue Peley AA
    C Adalberto Ibarra L A+
    C Leonel Escobar A+
    C Christian Vazquez A
    C Jayson Hernandez A
    C Carson Blair A
    C Tim Roberson A-
    C Oscar Perez A-
    C Gerardo Olivares A-
    C Blake Swihart ƅ RK
    C Carlos Coste RK
    C Roberto Reyes RK
    C Jordan Weems L RK
    C Alixon Suarez DSL
    C David Sopilka DSL
    C

Beau Bishop

YTD

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Fantasy baseball types love to juggle players like a hot potato. Forever wanting to trade and always thinking that the grass is greener on the other side. I'd prefer letting Salty or Lavarnway blossom.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Swihart whom I have not yet seen play is supposed to be very age advanced offensively. Strong arm. Needs to C every day and learn the position. Another player who could eventually play 3b. If looking for a sleeper, guy who caught my eye last spring training was Vazquez. For those who want a Molina-esque type catcher, this kid could be that. Squatty build, soft hands, strong arm. Awkward at the plate offensively, but does have power punch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Catcher of the Future?:
    Fantasy baseball types love to juggle players like a hot potato. Forever wanting to trade and always thinking that the grass is greener on the other side. I'd prefer letting Salty or Lavarnway blossom.
    Posted by FortMeade

What's with your irrational dislike of fantasy sports?

Montero was rumored to be coming here way back when the Sox FIRST looked at Salty, and in fact, could have been had at that time for very little.

I, too, prefer to let the 26 YEAR OLD WITH ONE FULL SEASON UNDER HIS BELT have another year or three. Expecially considering his June/July stats, but don't see the need to go so far off the rails.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Trying to sign the best payer available is usually counter-productive.

Montero had a 4.3 WAR last year against Salty's 2.5, but Montero had alomst 50% more PAs.

If you really wanted to acquire someone, you might want to think about the Nats.  They have Ramos playing for them now, and Norris in the minors.  You get a  better deal when the other guy is motivated to sell.

Past that, is it really even a need?  Salty had a 2.5 at about minimum wage.  We have Lav and Swihart.

Focus on pitching.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Swihart whom I have not yet seen play is supposed to be very age advanced offensively. Strong arm. Needs to C every day and learn the position. Another player who could eventually play 3b. If looking for a sleeper, guy who caught my eye last spring training was Vazquez. For those who want a Molina-esque type catcher, this kid could be that. Squatty build, soft hands, strong arm. Awkward at the plate offensively, but does have power punch.
    Posted by rkarp

Which Molina?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY ............  "SON, I TOLD YOU THAT LAVARNWAY IS YOUR NEXT CARLTON FISK, YOU WILL SEE" !!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The catcher of the future is older than all the guys we have now?

The Sox tried to get Montero before.  We offered Bard; they wanted Bowden.  Doubtful that offer still stands from either team...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Catcher of the Future? : that's a wow
    Posted by pinstripezac

You were probably too occupied being a gym rat in the forum of your rival to have read about that. By the way, how come your good buddies Babe and ThatWasMe  got banned. Could it be that their activity was deemed by the moderator to be trolling. What a shame, I imagine that Spaceman, Hammer, and J-Bay are bewildered that their long lost friend was gone for four months, came back, and was booted in one week. Life isn't fair.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Posted by FortMeade

I hear good things from Salty taking leadership role...this may be his breakout year that everyone has been waiting for...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Red Sox Catcher of the Future?:
    This is going to be interesting with the three catchers the Sox have. I like to see a trade for Miguel Montero of Diamondbacks. He is a FA next year and appears he may not be signed long term. Thoughts on the catcher(s) position and outlook for 2012.
    Posted by beavis

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Red Sox Catcher of the Future?:
    This is going to be interesting with the three catchers the Sox have. I like to see a trade for Miguel Montero of Diamondbacks. He is a FA next year and appears he may not be signed long term. Thoughts on the catcher(s) position and outlook for 2012.
    Posted by beavis

I think a lot of the doubt fans had and read about Lavs skill set last season went away in the short time he was here.  He was much more poised in all areas than some stated.  Salty may also still be in the picture, he was brought up too early, bounced around and not trained well before spending a year with Tek.  He could just be a late bloomer like Tek was early on in his career.

Either way we have two relatively inexpensive guys who are capable at catcher so I doubt we spend the money on a FA unless its absolutely necessary.  Lav and Youk will be the ones to watch that may decide where Ryan ends up, either could take over for David next season as our DH if they prove to be productive.  The Sox would also like to see Jacoby signed long term if possible.  This could mean the departure of both David and Youk next season if Middlebrooks is ready.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Both Yadier Molina and Montero are great catchers potentially available next year. Who knows, maybe Shoppach loves the friendly confines of Fenway. Some FO guy must have seen something I'm not seeing. Unless he is just considered a temporary placeholder and defensive replacement in late innings. Can he bring back the Cleveland pop?

Lavarnway certainly could emerge as even a full time guy to me, in a Victor Martinez mold, getting maybe half his PT from catching. I see that as a real possibility very soon.

Consider ibarra to be a potential break out guy this year and long term you have to like Swihart's chances. Baseball scouts all over the country have annoited this guy as a top prospect after 6 AB in professional baseball and 17 games on the 18 year old national team. See video below:

Maybe it had something to do with his national team numbers:

I've spent some time watching his youtube videos and such of this guy and he is athletic as well as surprisingly fast. It's about time they took a "Posey" type prospect and put him at catcher. Why not put an athlete there for once instead of the slow guy? Quickness is important right and he is is quick for a catcher. But this guy could probably play anywhere on the team.

Anyway, while watching the videos I kept seeing a Lars Anderson, AA version. A guy who looked like he had decent mechanics but was hitting mainly from his upper half and not making great contact.  Then I saw a little from the right handed side and he looked much better. He's a natural RH and he rakes as a right hander.

Solid athlete. doesn't even set up deep in the box but can still get around on high fastballs. Raw as heck but a solid athlete. I hope he's at least half as good as everyone is saying. To me, it is really tough to project a raw HS kid to be a top 100 guy already but he is a very likeable kid. Let's hope for the best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

"Likeable kid"? Who is the head of the "likeable kid" admission committee..........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I'm pretty sure it isn't you Hank. Read this article and ask youself if this kid is not likeable?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Both Yadier Molina and Montero are great catchers potentially available next year. Who knows, maybe Shoppach loves the friendly confines of Fenway. Some FO guy must have seen something I'm not seeing. Unless he is just considered a temporary placeholder and defensive replacement in late innings. Can he bring back the Cleveland pop? Lavarnway certainly could emerge as even a full time guy to me, in a Victor Martinez mold, getting maybe half his PT from catching. I see that as a real possibility very soon. Consider ibarra to be a potential break out guy this year and long term you have to like Swihart's chances. Baseball scouts all over the country have annoited this guy as a top prospect after 6 AB in professional baseball and 17 games on the 18 year old national team. See video below: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFy9a9gJ25A Maybe it had something to do with his national team numbers: http://web.usabaseball.com/news/stats.jsp?eid=9345920 I've spent some time watching his youtube videos and such of this guy and he is athletic as well as surprisingly fast. It's about time they took a "Posey" type prospect and put him at catcher. Why not put an athlete there for once instead of the slow guy? Quickness is important right and he is is quick for a catcher. But this guy could probably play anywhere on the team. Anyway, while watching the videos I kept seeing a Lars Anderson, AA version. A guy who looked like he had decent mechanics but was hitting mainly from his upper half and not making great contact.  Then I saw a little from the right handed side and he looked much better. He's a natural RH and he rakes as a right hander. Solid athlete. doesn't even set up deep in the box but can still get around on high fastballs. Raw as heck but a solid athlete. I hope he's at least half as good as everyone is saying. To me, it is really tough to project a raw HS kid to be a top 100 guy already but he is a very likeable kid. Let's hope for the best.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

You could be correct about Ibarra, Boomer but from what I have read he is more of a Victor Martinez likeness than Lav but who knows?  Lav, according to reports has a better arm than Ibarra or Victor but they all have good plate discipline.  I see Lav as more of a Pudge type catcher if he continues to improve behind the plate. 

Either way I don't see us dipping into the FA market for a catcher next season.  Hopefully Kalish and Iggy work out as well.  It would certainly make our future that much brighter and allow us to possibly address pitching if Lackey or Bard don't work out. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

From the looks of things we may not dip into the FA market much at all for years! We fortunately do have some good prospects coming up though. And some extra draft picks this year as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

From the looks of things we may not dip into the FA market much at all for years! We fortunately do have some good prospects coming up though. And some extra draft picks this year as well.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I agree, our farm system isn't as bad as some report and the picks will only help.  As we know, any youngster "not even highly rated" could emerge from the pack which makes these kids so much fun to watch and root for. 

I love the fact so many of our kids have made the big club over the years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY ............  "SON, I TOLD YOU THAT LAVARNWAY IS YOUR NEXT CARLTON FISK, YOU WILL SEE" !!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Bill, I don't know why so many posters here are wearing blinders with regards to Ryan Lavarnway.  If we don't waste him continually in the minors we're talking about a 30 homer, 100 RBI man being the DH and reserve catcher, or the catcher and reserve DH----maybe as soon as the middle of this season, certainly it must be so by next year. RH power hitters like this do not grow on trees and we have not had much success in developing them the past decade.  Here is the guy, along with Will Middlebrooks to give us just that for the next dozen years if we do not waste them away on the farm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

"Likeable kid"? Who is the head of the "likeable kid" admission committee..........
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Did I miss something?  Was this thread about Wakefield or Varitek?

Sections
Shortcuts