Red Sox: Closer by Committee?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Red Sox: Closer by Committee?

You got three guys that can close. Bard, Bailey and Melanson. Bailey is seasoned and Melanson is just starting to close. Bard has never. Not sure if BobbyV is a "closer by committee guy". Give each guy the chance to close and see which one runs with it.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Red Sox: Closer by Committee?

Maybe the acquisition of Bailey and Melanson frees Bard to be in the rotation.

Beckett
    Lester
    Buch
    Bard
    Aceves

Add in Dice-k in the second half of the season, and that's not a bad rotation.  I like that roation more than last season's rotation.

With that trade, the Sox have made themselves better than they were a year ago.  They still need a little more depth in the bullpen, and I'd like to see them pick up a couple of starters for the farm club.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I think Jenks has shown more ability to close than Bard.  If the Sox medical staff is correct and Jenks is fully healthy by April or May, then you have Bailey, Melancon, and Jenks all backing each other up for the closers role.  Three very good arms when healthy.  I cannot remember a time the Sox had that many bona fide closers in the pen, especially in the closer by committee year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Jenks?

Really?

That dude ain't even on my 25 man roster.  I guess managers like Ozzie Guillen and Tony LaRusa don't stop Theo from making "bold" moves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

If you want to go that rout...  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aardsda01-pitch.shtml This guy would be perfect for the sox. Add him to the committee 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

My best guess is that it's Bailey's job to lose and they won't try to go the closer by committee route.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox: Closer by Committee?:
    I think Jenks has shown more ability to close than Bard.  If the Sox medical staff is correct and Jenks is fully healthy by April or May, then you have Bailey, Melancon, and Jenks all backing each other up for the closers role.  Three very good arms when healthy.  I cannot remember a time the Sox had that many bona fide closers in the pen, especially in the closer by committee year.
    Posted by parhunter1

1. When has the Sox medical staff recently been correct? Talk about a group that needs to be walked out the door. Dr. Thomas Gill and his "staff" stinks!

2. Andrew Bailey is the closer.

No committee will be convened.

Make no mistake. As much as Bobby Valentine has distanced himself from "the decision to trade for Bailey..." ...he orchestrated it.

Bobby Valentine in addition to being Carl Crawford's worst nightmare and Kevin Youkilis' psychologist will be the Red Sox pitching coach until June of this year if necessary. I'm thinking he'd prefer to see Mr. Beckett elsewhere when they shoot the opening day pictures too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ugh. Yes maybe we can acquire yet another closer and have a carousel of closers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I don't think Bailey, Melancon and Jenks makes it closer by committee, but it is nice to have plans B and C around if Bailey gets hurt.  And realistically you have to prepare for that contingency, given his track record.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

I don't think Bailey, Melancon and Jenks makes it closer by committee, but it is nice to have plans B and C around if Bailey gets hurt.  And realistically you have to prepare for that contingency, given his track record.
    Posted by parhunter1

Exactly! Well stated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Bailey is probably the closer. Nice that he comes from the east coast, and has attachments to CT. He's excited to be here (and I believe him). :) He knows the fishbowl he'll be in, and most likely won't be affected by it. Let's hope he can work on his "death stare".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Oh, god, no.  That is one thing I won't miss...that stupid looking stare in that Papelbon employed.  It looked even more ridiculous when he'd give up an important hit after staring in for so long.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Oh, god, no.  That is one thing I won't miss...that stupid looking stare in that Papelbon employed.  It looked even more ridiculous when he'd give up an important hit after staring in for so long.
    Posted by parhunter1

LOL. Sorry, Par. I should have put a Tongue out after it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Thanks, Kim.  It is hard to read tone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If they are planning to revisit the closer-by-committee scenario, then the next move of the off-season MUST be to make sure Wakefield is in the fold for 2012.  Timmy knows how it is done.

Tongue Out  (Kim, this emoticon is to cover for the fact that it is difficult to pick up tone in writing  Laughing.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

If they are planning to revisit the closer-by-committee scenario, then the next move of the off-season MUST be to make sure Wakefield is in the fold for 2012.  Timmy knows how it is done.   (Kim, this emoticon is to cover for the fact that it is difficult to pick up tone in writing   .)
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Guess I just thought the quotes would do it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Hey, maybe to some that "death stare" was a welcome thing.  No accounting for taste.  "There's no logic in this world," as Beethoven would say.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Well, I use quotes to mock things all the time. My recent post to Jrh1194's post saying Beni is the last thing we need on this board:

Yes, "Jr". The last thing a "Sox fan" like yourself needs is someone who has a little fun with the Yankees on the board. lol 

I also responded to a post by Jrh1194 in a similar way the last time I was here, and many times before that. It's kinda my MO.

Sorry for all the confusion. There is no accounting for taste, and I have no problem with anyone who enjoyed the death stare, although I believe most fans who liked Pap even found it a little silly. Whatever. I'm sure this was worth all the attention it received.      

Sections
Shortcuts