Red Sox Clubhouse Culture......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Red Sox Clubhouse Culture......

No, I didn't say Culture Club, but "do you really want to hurt me?" could be the theme of the Red Sox going back to September. I don't know if this has been mentioned today, I haven't read all the threads. How many of you watched John Kruk on Mike and Mike in the Morning today? He had some interesting things to say about the Red Sox clubhouse--things that indicated he knew more than he was letting on. Kruk seems to me to be a four square, both feet on the ground, everyman kind of guy, not usually inclined to repeat gossip, or go off the deep end with accusations. He said that there has to be "something going on" in the Red Sox clubhouse. When asked to elaborate, he only said "I don't know, just rumors that keep popping up.." etc. That's all he would say, which means he knows more than his journalistic prudence allows him to say on the air. Kruk seemed to think that there was some carryover from last September, and that the poison that killed the team back then has not been exorcised. That, as he described it, there was still some suspicion and hard feelings over whoever snitched on the goings on of last year, and that, along with other things, was contributing to fractures within the clubhouse. He said it has nothing to do with Bobby Valentine, and that it pre-dates and goes much deeper than Valentine. "Deep fractures" were the words he used, and he seemed to think that the clubhouse culture on the Sox was still in 2011 meltdown mode.

Now, be that as it may, Kruk isn't in the clubhouse, and doesn't have all the facts, but it still makes you wonder what's going on in there. Kruk isn't the type, as far as I've seen, to come out with something like this when all he has is surmise. He knows something. With the so called "chip" on their shoulder from last year, and "having something to prove" being the rally cry at the beginning of ST, it seems the team has slipped back into the comatose state that sent them reeling in 2011. So what is wrong? It's been my fear all winter that the so called "chip" was going to be more a weight around their neck than motivation. If you act like there's a chip, then your mind isn't on THIS year, it's still on last. Only people with confidence problems need to "prove" things, and if that's the mindset on the team, look for trouble. 2011 needs to become totally a non-issue if this team is to be successful in ensuing seasons. Confident people have nothing to prove, they simply get the job done. 

Kruk's most frightening statement echoed something I posted this past weekend. He said that it may be time for the whole thing "to be blown up", and started over. That also is my fear, and the tone in Kruk's voice when he said it bewrayed more than his words. It was a tone of "man, I don't know what's going on in there, but it's a mess, and only a nuclear wipe out is going to fix it." That's the tone he had, and while that may seem reactionary, again--I wonder what it is he knows that we don't? Furthermore, the team as an organization does not seem to be acting in harmony now. It's hard to describe, but there's a sour note being played. I can't say that I know who it is just yet, but it's like an orchestra with two or three instruments out of tune. You can hear it among the sound, but can't yet pin down whether it's the horn or violin section. Or is it the oboe? Just too soon to tell, but this I know--the sound is not pleasing, and if something isn't done to fix it soon the orchestra will be broken up. The audience cannot be expected to spend 3-4 hours a night listening to breaking glass and sound signifying nothing. That means, Mr. Henry, that if this continues much longer, the sell-out streak will come to an end. That, and only that might be the thing that wakes this organization up. Team chemistry was a problem last year, and it's liable to be a problem this year if something doesn't happen to pull them together soon. You pull together by ignoring the stupid and petty grudges, and the he said crap, and FOCUS on winning baseball games only. This isn't Bobby Valentine's fault, he was a decent to good choice as manager. The PLAYERS have got to start performing on the field, it's just that simple. Everything else is ancillary. WINNING, WINNING is what it's all about, it's the cutting edge of the entire organization's reason for existing. The Boston Red Sox exist to win professional baseball games. It's just that simple. Period. Any focus on anything else will lead to breakdown.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture......

i have no idea why the club wasnt seriously remodeled after last year...

youk papi, and of course beckett shouldve joined jd drew, tek, and wake as ex players...

they should have signed a pitcher to replace lackey...but the injection they needed was young hungry players like iggy, lava, middlebrookes to compliment the veteran players like pedey, agon, and ells...that can still happen but if they are serious about this contract control move, then we will be back 7 games by the time they are promoted...

ben, larry and JH believed they could compete by picking up marginal players.....way wrong

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Not buying it, exam. Kruk is part of baseball tonight team, may be listening to shilling too much. Sounds like he had absolutely no information to speak of, just more speculation, conjecture and opinion. He may be a straight shooter but he's still an ESPN employee and needs to help fill the air time.The slow start by the Sox just fueled the fire. BTW, Karl Ravich, another voice of the baseball tonight chorus, picked the Red Sox to go to the World Series. Said yesterday he still stands by his prediction. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

What we do not want to hear is "BV is the reason we don't all get along".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If Kruk has any information, then he should spell it out.  Don't just throw a blind item out there so people have to try and guess what you are talking about.  If there are problems in the clubhouse , it is up to Bobby V. to straighten it out.  Whatever problems there might be , the pitcher on the mound should be focused on making good pitches. The batters should be focused on having good at-bats. I'm not seeing enough of that so far.  Also , I might add that the broadcast team should be addressing these things instead of some of the nonsense that goes on in the booth while the team struggles on the field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture......:
    Not buying it, exam. Kruk is part of baseball tonight team, may be listening to shilling too much. Sounds like he had absolutely no information to speak of, just more speculation, conjecture and opinion. He may be a straight shooter but he's still an ESPN employee and needs to help fill the air time.The slow start by the Sox just fueled the fire. BTW, Karl Ravich, another voice of the baseball tonight chorus, picked the Red Sox to go to the World Series. Said yesterday he still stands by his prediction. 
    Posted by J-BAY

Ravech comes from Needham, Mass, and appears to be a homer. Even lifelong RS fans Gammons, Ryan, Callahan, Shaughnessy and likely other Boston based columnists don't agree with this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

If Kruk has any information, then he should spell it out.  Don't just throw a blind item out there so people have to try and guess what you are talking about.  If there are problems in the clubhouse , it is up to Bobby V. to straighten it out.  Whatever problems there might be , the pitcher on the mound should be focused on making good pitches. The batters should be focused on having good at-bats. I'm not seeing enough of that so far.  Also , I might add that the broadcast team should be addressing these things instead of some of the nonsense that goes on in the booth while the team struggles on the field.
    Posted by dgalehouse

I agree on all counts dg. What's happening on the field should be the focus. And I also agree that Orsillo and Remy are a joke in the booth. Little serious analysis, lots of jokes about what color shirts to wear and etc. Both of those two should take lessons from Marty Brennaman on how to call the game as it is. He gives praise where praise is due, and when a player needs to be called out he does it, and still maintains a fantastic sense of humor. That's part of why he's in the HOF, he's among the best ever, and isn't afraid to ruffle a player's feathers if he's not busting it. The only time we saw it from Orsillo and Remy was immediately after the Baltimore chop last year, when the cameras were rolling, and they could say nothing else. When I started following the Sox, it was real culture shock to hear the soft cell commentary when I'd been listening to Brennaman for so many years. As for Kruk, it's just hard to say. Kruk is usually a soft spoken, nice kind of guy that doesn't want to get involved too much in things that aren't his business. He did a decent job answering the questions that were put to him. He may know more, but may feel it's not his place to stir something up and become the center of the wrong kind of attention. But truth be known, I hope he's wrong, or maybe just operating with incomplete information. But there has to be some explanation for coming out flat the way they tend to do. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture...... : Ravech comes from Needham, Mass, and appears to be a homer. Even lifelong RS fans Gammons, Ryan, Callahan, Shaughnessy and likely other Boston based columnists don't agree with this.
    Posted by nhsteven

Having said that, and while Exam's post is beautifully rendered, you can't jump to these conclusions after 6 games, and IMO it's just Kruk selling sensationalized melodrama; this is typical dog and pony show sports journalism for a buck; it's been done for over a century, going back to Grantland Rice & beyond.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Orsillo copy-catted McDonough; I never liked Orsillo. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture...... : Having said that, and while Exam's post is beautifully rendered, you can't jump to these conclusions after 6 games, and IMO it's just Kruk selling sensationalized melodrama; this is typical dog and pony show sports journalism for a buck; it's been done for over a century, going back to Grantland Rice & beyond.
    Posted by nhsteven

Could be NH, hope you're right. But the thing that stung me was the manner in which Kruk offered it. It was like he didn't want to touch it, but had to because he was asked. He didn't try to sensationalize it. You might see if you can find it online. ESPN may have it on their site, I haven't looked for it. I agree there's not much to go on yet, but boy, it's creepily like last year, only this year there are more holes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It does seem like there's something seriously amiss within the team.  Going back to the end of last year they are now 8-25 in their last 33 games, with 9 coming up against TB, Texas and NY.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture...... : Could be NH, hope you're right. But the thing that stung me was the manner in which Kruk offered it. It was like he didn't want to touch it, but had to because he was asked. He didn't try to sensationalize it. You might see if you can find it online. ESPN may have it on their site, I haven't looked for it. I agree there's not much to go on yet, but boy, it's creepily like last year, only this year there are more holes.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Did it ever occur to you that's part of the act? (Unfortunately, this comment shows we're a cynical society - and with reason.)

Regardless, this team shall only go as far as their pitching takes them; getting over last year is an issue as well. The Pha-NY-Bos pressure crunch is unlike any other, and that adds to everything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There have been some bright spots with the pitching.  But there are some ominous signs with the offence.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

I think the Red Sox are due for some home cooking.  Having the fans behind them this weekend should make a big difference.  If they take 2 out of 3 from the Rays, and my gut tells me they will, then a lot of the nuclear option talk will die down significantly.  A good homestand overall could help to heal whatever rift or lingering resentment that might be there now...At the risk of being the 10,000 post to mention the following in the past 5 years, the "clubhouse culture" of the Bronx Zoo was pretty problematic, but they had the talent to win it all despite the unnerving menagerie noise echoing from the dugout on a weekly basis..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Another opening post reeking of mental masturbation and signifying nothing but pure speculation and a croc of BS. Form your own opinions instead of putting Kruk's drivel under a microscope and trying to squeeze water out of a stone. Give it a rest. The team isn't hitting in the clutch now, nothing more - nothing less. Stop the nonsense, please. If the forum bores then watch some television, read, listen to your favorite music, or walk the dog.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

It just rings true!!!!   Whether it's true or not really doesn't matter to your average Sox fan.  It RiNGS TRUE!

There doesn't seem to be much chemistry there!  I don't see any strong bonds!  They don't seem to have eachother's backs!  There doesn't seem to be a big fire burning in this teams belly!

The scary thing!  SWEENEY has been fantastic!  Avilles is looking pretty darned good.  Two strong upgrades, & we still S U C K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is absolutely something rotten in Denmark????

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Another opening post reeking of mental masturbation and signifying nothing but pure speculation and a croc of BS. Form your own opinions instead of putting Kruk's drivel under a microscope and trying to squeeze water out of a stone. Give it a rest. The team isn't hitting in the clutch now, nothing more - nothing less. Stop the nonsense, please. If the forum bores then watch some television, read, listen to your favorite music, or walk the dog.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c

Get off the high horse!  Considering the BITTER END to last year, If you don't get the concern, speculation, & angst with Red Sox fans, you probably aren't really a Sox fan?  I assume you are one, so please save the I'm better than a little RECREATIONAL B I T C H ING!  Guys get ticked off, & come on to speculate & vent a little, so they're not kicking that dog on the walk.  :)

Lighten up!  If it bothers you to hear a little DIVERSITY OF OPINION, go back to watching "ED" on your favored MSNBC.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture...... : Did it ever occur to you that's part of the act? (Unfortunately, this comment shows we're a cynical society - and with reason.) Regardless, this team shall only go as far as their pitching takes them; getting over last year is an issue as well. The Pha-NY-Bos pressure crunch is unlike any other, and that adds to everything.
    Posted by nhsteven

Sure, of course it ocurred to me. But if it was an act, it was a real good one. Kruk doesn't usually do that kind of thing NH. He was being sincere, in so far as what he thought he knew, or had heard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture...... : Orsillo is a company man's company man.  Orsillo would sooner pluck his own eyeballs out than say anything remotely critical of the Sox........that equals....boring.  Same with Remy since this new ownership group came in, I hate to say.
    Posted by bellhorn_

Have you compared that to other broadcasts teams of other teams. Get back to us after you do that, otherwise your OPINION is BS.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Posted by 6k42lt913c

I AM a dog pike, look at the avatar. It would hardly do for me to walk myself. Speaking of which......Now we have confirmed once and for all where your mind is. Find other forums pike. There might be something on the BDC culture forums where posters interact in those kinds of activities. (web cams prohibited of course).

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture...... : Have you compared that to other broadcasts teams of other teams. Get back to us after you do that, otherwise your OPINION is BS.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c

Don't know if he has, but I sure as heck have pike. Orsillo and Remy are lame, are yes men, are always in line where they should be. Rarely do they challenge the players or the team, or question anything.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Clubhouse Culture...... : Don't know if he has, but I sure as heck have pike. Orsillo and Remy are lame, are yes men, are always in line where they should be. Rarely do they challenge the players or the team, or question anything.
    Posted by TheExaminer

When do you have time to watch the other 10-15 MLB games every night that are on your MLB Extra Innings Package? I would think that the Cincinnati and Boston broadcasts would be enough to occupy your time. Do you record all of the other games? How many DVRs do you have in your house. You must be retired to have that much time. Please give us a ranking sometime of how boring all 30 MLB broadcast teams when you have a few extra minutes of time. Very few subscribers to the package watch every broadcast. Hats off to you however. When do you take a break to pee or eat the sub sandwich?

Sections
Shortcuts