Red Sox did not bid on Yu Darvish...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boss23. Show boss23's posts

Re: Red Sox did not bid on Yu Darvish...

In Response to Re: Red Sox did not bid on Yu Darvish...:
    [QUOTE]Theo insured that sox had no money to go after Darvish or anyone else by signing RSN death warrant with signing CC and Lackless. He knew he was going to walk and he stuck it to Larry and Henry for backing Larry. He is still sticking it to them with the "no compensation" stance. RS should sue theo and cubs and enjoin theo from continuing to work with cubs so long as Garza is not a Red Sox. Yes I hate theo and have always believed he was only looking out for himself. He was a baby when he walked out on RS and a wimp when he came back.
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

good point!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It's so easy for everyone to spend someone else's money,

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Another possible scenario is that Darvish decides not to sign. If, for example, Toronto wins the bidding and Darvish doesn't want to sign with Toronto, he can just say "No."
    Darvish is eligible for free agency after the 2012 season--no bidding, no restrictions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Theo insured that sox had no money to go after Darvish or anyone else by signing RSN death warrant with signing CC and Lackless. He knew he was going to walk and he stuck it to Larry and Henry for backing Larry. He is still sticking it to them with the "no compensation" stance. RS should sue theo and cubs and enjoin theo from continuing to work with cubs so long as Garza is not a Red Sox. Yes I hate theo and have always believed he was only looking out for himself. He was a baby when he walked out on RS and a wimp when he came back.
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

Nbody knew a year ago that Darvish would be available this year. Last year at this time we had a healthy Lackey and Bucholz. Lat year the flavor of the day was Crawford. Last year 90 percent of the forum was elated over the moves that Theo made. How soon a child can go into a tantrum when things don't go his way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Another possible scenario is that Darvish decides not to sign. If, for example, Toronto wins the bidding and Darvish doesn't want to sign with Toronto, he can just say "No." Darvish is eligible for free agency after the 2012 season--no bidding, no restrictions.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]
    He just might do that. It would be more money for him. He does not get any of the " bid money."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For all those interested The TBJ's won he posting rites on Darvish. I'm wondering who won the rites on Aoki the OF from the Swallows,the winning post was a meager 2.5 mil but no team has been announced. By the way the Jays are paying a posting price in the 40 million dollar range. Not Quite Dice K money but the same PC is involved poor John Farrell can't get away from having to deal with another Japanese Diva!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]gotta say i am really disappointed that the sox did not even bid on yu darvish. this just shows how dumb the sox fo really is. they had a chance to add a potential ace for just money no prospects and the passed on it. and apparently they are interested in joe saunders. do they realize he gave up 29 homers last year pitching in a weak division? great thats exactly what we need another mediocre at best pitcher. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

"Just money"?

That makes no sense.  Why not buy a Ferrari instead of a Civic?  Why not get $20,000 curtains instead of fixing the roof?  After all, it's just money.

For most companies and individuals, moeny spent on item A is money that CANNOT be spent on item B.

If you spend $48M on a posting fee, and have him sign a $72M/6 contract, you've just spent $120M/6 on a pitcher with absolutley no history in the MLB.

If you were going to do that, why not up the ante and pay $22-24M on a CC or Lincecum type pitcher?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox did not bid on Yu Darvish... : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox did not bid on Yu Darvish... : "Just money"? That makes no sense.  Why not buy a Ferrari instead of a Civic?  Why not get $20,000 curtains instead of fixing the roof?  After all, it's just money. For most companies and individuals, moeny spent on item A is money that CANNOT be spent on item B. If you spend $48M on a posting fee, and have him sign a $72M/6 contract, you've just spent $120M/6 on a pitcher with absolutley no history in the MLB. If you were going to do that, why not up the ante and pay $22-24M on a CC or Lincecum type pitcher? Posted by Joebreidey [/QUOTE ] Just money"? That makes no sense . do you really think redsoxpride34 meant that JB I'm thinkin he meant just money and no prospects or draft choices  If you were going to do that, why not up the ante and pay $22-24M on a CC or Lincecum type pitcher I did not know they or that type of pitchers was available
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I understand, and I understand that prospects and draft choices ultimately equal money.  But you still can't say 'let's spend $20M on an unknown quantity' simply because it's just money.  Are we better off having signed CC for $20M rather than trade a couple of minor prospects for Willingham?  After all, it was just money.

At the end of the day, the teams that are most successful, relative to their market size, are the ones that get the most value per $ spent.  If you and I make the same salary, and I spend my money 10% more efficiently, I will ultimately have 10% more things than you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm thinkin they are pretty excited in blue jay country

just as they would be here or yankeeland 

well maybe not the halliday fans that are wondering 

why not doc

Because Darvish just cost money?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Are we better off having signed CC for $20M rather than trade a couple of minor prospects for Willingham? After all, it was just money . was it  just money or did he cost you a 1st rd pick which was, I believe,   redsoxpride34 point At the end of the day, the teams that are most successful, relative to their market size, are the ones that get the most value per $ spent. If you and I make the same salary, and I spend my money 10% more efficiently, I will ultimately have 10% more things than you. no worries   no '' same salary '' here the sox make more than just about every one and charge more than anyone were you against the dice k signing too ?
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE] Zac I don't have a link but I heard it last night on ESPN radio,I listen every night as I drive longhaul trucks.As a yankee fan you must be slightly unhappy knowing that not only did the Sox steal Aceves but they now have the former heir apparent to Mo,Melancon as their new closer. I just did a cursory search and if you need too read about the Darvish posting
    it's on MLBTR.com as the Jays won by posting 48 mil...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

The Sox aren't trying to be competitive this year.  In fact, they don't even seem to be interested in fooling the public into believing that they will be competitive.  Why else would Cherington say that the Sox were not going to be interested in Darvish.  Why not indicate that the Sox, like a lot of teams, would be interested in a SP with Darvish's stuff.  At least make a bid for him, even if it comes up way short, the Sox could still say that they at least attempted to get him.  This Ownership group has become totally arrogant and needs the Fans to speak up and not show up to Fenway or buy merchandise.  That is the only thing that will get their attention.  The Sox don't need to spend alot of money every year but it seems that when they are not throwing a bunch of money around like they did last year, they don't seem to know how to operate.  The Sox have way too many holes to fill to be so passive this off-season (2-3 SP, 2-3 BP arms, RF, SS, bench power). 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox did not bid on Yu Darvish... :  just did a cursory search and if you need too read about the Darvish posting it's on MLBTR.com as the Jays won by posting 48 mil... thanks SB but this gives me the right to keep hope alive no matter how slight 6:04pm : There are reports from Japan indicating the winning bid for Darvish was around $48MM, tweets MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince. Castrovince includes a Blue Jays hashtag on his tweet, but notes that nothing is confirmed about either the bid price or the winning team. yeah I was pissed about acceves even B4 the sox picked him up and then things just got worse I had NP with the yanks trading melancon (berkman) but yeah that could turn out to be another nightmare
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE] Yeah I kind of figured those two moves by the Sox weren't exactly your favs!! My Uncle is a big yankee fan and I always show him my autographed Mantle ball and Jeter and Arod bats! Gets his blood boiling to know that a diehard Sox fan has them in his collection...Nakajima the next Jete,NOT!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

the sox make more than just about every one

and charge more than anyone

were you against the dice k signing too ?

I'm like NYY fans in that regard.  I don't necessarily object, but I felt the same way then as I do now.  We spent $103M, or ~ $17M per on Dice.  At the time, that was top tier wages for an SP.  It's difficult to predict any Japanese player to be a top tier player in MLB.  IMO, if you're right, and he is a top tier pitcher, then we'd get back about as much production as if we had spent $17M on an established US pitcher.  And if we're wrong, we're screwed.  There are complications based on salary cap savings, and Japanese exposure, but for salary purposes only, there was little upside and a lot of downside.

Like you said, you don't know who you'll be able to spend that money on, based on who's available, but like you implied, a guy like Halladay cost $20M to extend.  I cannot imagine being more comnfortable giving Darvish $20M that giving Halladay $20M, or CC giving CC $23M, or even giving Lee $24M.  I think realistically, the best you'll get from Darvish is $20M worth of production, and the downside a good bit less than that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox aren't trying to be competitive this year.  In fact, they don't even seem to be interested in fooling the public into believing that they will be competitive.  Why else would Cherington say that the Sox were not going to be interested in Darvish.  Why not indicate that the Sox, like a lot of teams, would be interested in a SP with Darvish's stuff.  At least make a bid for him, even if it comes up way short, the Sox could still say that they at least attempted to get him.  This Ownership group has become totally arrogant and needs the Fans to speak up and not show up to Fenway or buy merchandise.  That is the only thing that will get their attention.  The Sox don't need to spend alot of money every year but it seems that when they are not throwing a bunch of money around like they did last year, they don't seem to know how to operate.  The Sox have way too many holes to fill to be so passive this off-season (2-3 SP, 2-3 BP arms, RF, SS, bench power). 
    Posted by Plluto29[/QUOTE]

We don't need 2-3 SPs.  Assuming Bard is in the rotation, we need 1 SP.

Scutaro had a ~ .780 OPS last, so we don't need a SS.

We finished 1st in scoring last year, so while we could use a RF, it is not urgent.

However, I do agree on Darvish.  Not necessarily on signing him, but I don't see any harm in putting in a posting fee.  You could get lucky with a $20M bid, and then maybe he'd make sense at an overall cost of maybe $15M (still probably not), and it at least sets something of a bar to prevent others from stealing him.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No, the Sox don't need a SS, no they don't need 2 SPs....Joe, are you on medication? They may not "need" these things, but they sure as hell have to have some quality at both to be a WS contender. Otherwise, the current roster is fine and will win 90 games and miss the playoffs again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I believe I stated something to the effect that there's no way we go after another USELESS or was it HORRIBLE Japanese pitcher.  I don't quite remember the exact word I used.  Believing the organization learned it lesson the hard way.  I was then attacked by the board Matriarch and one of their cronies for being a raciest.  I guess I was right and they were wrong......again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Darvish may turn out to be a star , but it is a lot of money to spend on what is basically an unknown commodity.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]No, the Sox don't need a SS, no they don't need 2 SPs....Joe, are you on medication? They may not "need" these things, but they sure as hell have to have some quality at both to be a WS contender. Otherwise, the current roster is fine and will win 90 games and miss the playoffs again.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

1-If we need a SS, explain to me where to get one.  Scutaro's OPS last year was .781, and .761 over the past three years.  Explain to me who you are going to get to upgrade that, and at what cost?

2-If we have Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, and Bard in the rotation, and we need 2 more SPs, are we going to go with a 6-man rotation?