Red Sox Do Not Award Starting Roster Spots Based on Merit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Red Sox Do Not Award Starting Roster Spots Based on Merit

i understand the control aspect of the move but it would have been nice if the Sox wouldve shown as much passion/committment for keeping JB on the team as they did in signing napoli....it would have been a great message to send to sox fans everywhere that we believe in this rookie so much, and are so impressed with his play, that we want him playing NOW...

jeez, when is the last time the sox had a rookie actually make the team and start? 

the good news is this will be Ben's last year to play it safe and crush our team's spirit with horrible trades, bad signings, and moronic GM moves....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I see a certain hypocrisy regarding spring training stats of various players. It seems they are "meaningless" when it supports  one's opinion , but on the other hand , are " meaningful " when it suits our purpose.  Which one is it  folks. You can't have it both ways.  Or can you?

Be specific Mr. Galehouse.  Which spring stats have been cited as 'meaningful' and by who?

Just read the posts. You see it every day. If a pitcher throws well , he is "back" and headed for a big year. If a player acquired in a trade plays well , it was a great deal. If a catcher throws out a couple of base runners , he is going to be a big help this year. Etc. , etc. , etc. You will have to read the daily posts. I am not going to do it for you. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Its hard to take an educated guess without reading it or even taking a close look at it, but the OP really seems to have a whole lot of words.  Anyone else as impressed as I am with the sheer amount of words?

I got a headache after the first paragragh. It would be nice if the OP would dummy down his writing so that those of un not as well educated as he  could understand what he is trying to convey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Be specific Mr. Galehouse.  Which spring stats have been cited as 'meaningful' and by who?

Just read the posts. You see it every day. If a pitcher throws well , he is "back" and headed for a big year. If a player acquired in a trade plays well , it was a great deal. If a catcher throws out a couple of base runners , he is going to be a big help this year. Etc. , etc. , etc. You will have to read the daily posts. I am not going to do it for you.

I do read the posts here extensively.  And I don't remember any statements about pitchers being headed for great years or the like based on some spring training performances.  Unless you're counting someone like smileybeni.

As another poster above suggested, I think you're taking comments where someone said they were encouraged and overstating what they said. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I see a certain hypocrisy regarding spring training stats of various players. It seems they are "meaningless" when it supports  one's opinion , but on the other hand , are " meaningful " when it suits our purpose.  Which one is it  folks. You can't have it both ways.  Or can you?

I suspect he confused "meaningful" with "encouraging.

exactly

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i understand the control aspect of the move but it would have been nice if the Sox wouldve shown as much passion/committment for keeping JB on the team as they did in signing napoli....it would have been a great message to send to sox fans everywhere that we believe in this rookie so much, and are so impressed with his play, that we want him playing NOW...

jeez, when is the last time the sox had a rookie actually make the team and start? 

the good news is this will be Ben's last year to play it safe and crush our team's spirit with horrible trades, bad signings, and moronic GM moves....

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im certainly not one of those posters...The term i use is encouraging.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Are 9 games worth 162 games?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Im certainly not one of those posters...The term i use is encouraging.

same here. i see ST stats and see them for what they are. useless. they only point of ST is to get our players in playing shape. If a guy is playing well in ST that means nothing, but it is encouraging. It looks good, but it doesn't mean anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

As far as I know, it has been a very long time since a ROOKIE started the season, not called up and promoted because of injury...spring training to starting spot because of their own play....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

As far as I know, it has been a very long time since a ROOKIE started the season, not called up and promoted because of injury...spring training to starting spot because of their own play....

When they were ready or had their chance because of injury or whatever, they all became starters. Some at the start of the season and a couple because of injury. And besides paps, they were all 22-23 yrs old.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

When they were ready or had their chance because of injury or whatever, they all became starters. Some at the start of the season and a couple because of injury. And besides paps, they were all 22-23 yrs old.

i think it is time to take a chance and give the kid a shot...is that such a bad way to start the season? 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

i think it is time to take a chance and give the kid a shot...is that such a bad way to start the season? 

and lose a year of control for 11 days?? i get what your saying Geo but it's just kind of silly to give up a a full year for just 11 days. If every day of JBJ is that important then might as well start him in AAA and have him miss 11 days rather than later in the season when he would have to miss 20 games from the manadatory assignment. or you can lose a full season just to gain 11 games this season..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

Felix Doubront last year?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

he crappped out in 2011 spring training so i dont think so

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

There's a lot of back and forth on this thread, but I dont see anyone attacking the real villian.  The stupidity of the rule itself!

You should lose one year of control if a player either a) has 200+ at-bats in a season or b) 50 IP in a season.

When those at-bats/innings pitched occur should be completely irrelevant!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

Listen, I understand both sides and will not be upset either way. My opinion remains the same though. Id rather have JBJ for one more year. I really dont think starting him in AAA and having him brought up on April 12 will make or break the season for the Sox. Pitching will be more important. He'll still be 22yrs old at that time as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

He was a rookie in 2012.  You asked the last time a rookie started the season w the big club.  It was last year.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Are 9 games worth 162 games?

Are 162 mythical games in 7 years worth putting an inferior lineup for 9 games in the early part of the 2013 season. That's not a question. (Note: the red sox don't have players who play 162 games worth)

He is a Boras client, he will test FA the minute he can. 9 games in April would cost a whole entire season. How is that reasonable? He would what be responsible for one win during those 9 games? So for because one win now you would forefit a year in his prime? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

He was a rookie in 2012.  You asked the last time a rookie started the season w the big club.  It was last year.

he pitched in 2010...not a rookie....and he showed up fat to camp in 2011....sorry drewski but this is exactly what im talking about..a false "rookie"...im talking about a young player with talent who makes the team and contributes from the start of the season..not a player who bounces up and down between the minors for two seasons

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ellsbury

Bard

Pedey

Middlebrooks

Buchholz

Lester

Papelbon

he pitched in 2010...not a rookie....and he showed up fat to camp in 2011....sorry drewski but this is exactly what im talking about..a false "rookie"...im talking about a young player with talent who makes the team and contributes from the start of the season..not a player who bounces up and down between the minors for two seasons

So it was the Sox fault he came to camp out of shape? He had the job and HE screwed it up...Now your just picking nits.

Sections
Shortcuts