Red Sox Doing Great but Ben Cherington's 2013 FA signings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Red Sox Doing Great but Ben Cherington's 2013 FA signings?

Trading away our depth makes no sense. Its because of our depth that weve been able to keep producing with the injuries and avoid and prolonged slumps. getting rid of players as were ready to hit the "dog days" is foolish. There will be more injuries and individual slumps.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Drew - D $9.5M totally not justified especially so late and out of blue. In house options cheaper.

F- Not needed then: not needed now. Waste of about $8M.

I still don't understand this sentiment.  If we had Iggy as our starter (and only viable option at SS), would you still feel a FA was not necessary if Iggy's slash line after 175 AB's was .100 / .150 / .150?  That scenario was MUCH more likely than what he's hitting right now.  Drew is an average to above average defensive shortstop with a long track record as an above average hitter for the position.  Given what we knew about Iggy this off-season and the fact we had payroll to play with, it was really a no-brainer to sign Drew on a one year deal.  How does no one get this???

Max - I don't think the Drew signing motivated Iggy to a .500 BABIP ... just sayin'.Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Uehara - A

Drew - A Defense has been good. Bat is becoming excellent. I have sugar plums and compensation picks dancing in my head. Who would have thunk that was even possible.

Carp - A Carp for nothing.

Ross - A- Ross's defense has been excellent.

Napoli - B+ Defense better then I expected but offense worse. 1st basemen are supposed to rake. K/BB rate a concern. But I loved the signing originally.

Dempster - C+ Solid.

Gomes - C+ Is for chemistry, which brings us W's. He also was signed for short term on the cheap. Imagine if we went with the Hamilton or Ross route instead? Also, when Gomes BABIP normalises, he will look a lot better stat wise.

Victorino - C Money and length of contract were large. All round play has been solid. Health not a factor in my grading for Victorino.

Hanrahan - F+ He did get a few saves.

In retrospect, do every deal again except Hanrahan and maybe Victorino. And with Victorino its close and his bat was warming up before the injury and my only problem was with the size and  or length of the contract. So I could easily change my mind on Victorino.

These were largely my grades going into the season. Maybe I am stubborn to changing my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Uehara - A

Drew - A Defense has been good. Bat is becoming excellent. I have sugar plums and compensation picks dancing in my head. Who would have thunk that was even possible.

Napoli - B+ Defense better then I expected but offense worse. 1st basemen are supposed to rake. K/BB rate a concern. But I loved the signing originally.

Dempster - C+ Solid.

Gomes - C+ Is for chemistry, which brings us W's. He also was signed for short term on the cheap. Imagine if we went with the Hamilton or Ross route instead? Also, when Gomes BABIP normalises, he will look a lot better stat wise.

Victorino - C Money and length of contract were large. All round play has been solid. Health not a factor in my grading for Victorino.

In retrospect, do every deal again except Hanrahan and maybe Victorino. And with Victorino its close and his bat was warming up before the injury and my only problem was with the size and  or length of the contract. So I could easily change my mind on Victorino.

These were largely my grades going into the season. Maybe I am stubborn to changing my opinion.

Watch out BMav, myself and another poster got called "clueless" and were told to "wake up and small the coffee" for even suggesting the possibility of extending Drew a QO if his numbers resemble his 2010 year, which is a very good possibility. Hes at .749 OPS right now and I would bet it will be closer to, if not above .800 by years end.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"Gomes - C+ Is for chemistry, which brings us W's. He also was signed for short term on the cheap. Imagine if we went with the Hamilton or Ross route instead? Also, when Gomes BABIP normalises, he will look a lot better stat wise.

Victorino - C Money and length of contract were large. All round play has been solid. Health not a factor in my grading for Victorino."

I agree with your grades for these two.  One thing to consider with Gomes is that most of his value is vLHP.  To date almost 50% of his ABs are vRHP.  Plus, he only has ~50ABs vLHP so it's a pretty small sample.  It wouldn't take too many hits XBH to bring his numbers up and he has almost 700 OPS vLHP already.  

IMO, the jury is still out on the Flyin' Hawaiian.  I like him and he is a well rounded player.  I think he will show some more power and I do love the OBP + good fielding.  The counterpoint, though, is that he isn't providing much more than pre-concussion Sweeney and Sweeney would have been much cheaper.  That said, Vic's ceiling is much higher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Give Vic a B-, but only because of the injuries, otherwise you have to give him a B+, he's one well-rounded player, does it all and gives his all and was a big reason for our great April record, and he'll be back soon contributing in a big way once again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Uehara - A

Dempster - C+ Solid.

Watch out BMav, myself and another poster got called "clueless" and were told to "wake up and small the coffee" for even suggesting the possibility of extending Drew a QO if his numbers resemble his 2010 year, which is a very good possibility. Hes at .749 OPS right now and I would bet it will be closer to, if not above .800 by years end.

[/QUOTE]

I think some people didn't get the Drew signing because they assumed that this was a rebuilding year and they weren't able to understand that this team had a core of talent that could win now.  Maybe they don't understand the human element of the game and actually thought that this was a team with "69 win talent."  Obviously the Front Office and some educated fans knew better.  To those who think the Sox are going to trade Drew, Ellsbury or Saltlamacchia in a pennant race still don't get it, but fortunately for the fans, the Front Office does.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The pitching for the Rangers was pitiful, last night.

Cherry has been in the saddle for one full season and into the next season.

Manager John is just getting started.

It's a 162 game season, and the current record will not be remembered at all when the season is over. Nor should it be. 

I don't know about you, but I will certainly remember that on June 5 the Sox were leading the AL East by 2.5 games and were virtually tied with the Rangers for first place in the AL.  We are over 1/3 into the season, and that is a pretty good accomplishment.  And some credit has to go to Cherington for dumping the three losers last year and in the offseason hiring a solid manager and a bunch of guys who appear to know how to win games.  Individually, Gomes, Drew, Victorino, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, et al, aren't having that great of season, but collectively the Sox have scored more runs than any other team in MLB so far this season and have the third best ERA in the AL.  Give Farrell all the credit you want to, but Cherington gets some too.  This is a winning combo--so far, anyway. 

Even with last night's pitiful performance, the Rangers team ERA is the best in the AL.  I usually think after a bloobath like 17 runs the reason for it is that, once the starter is taken out early in the game, the manager is trying to cut his losses, and the opposing hitters come to the plate loose, relaxed, and deadly.  It can happen to any staff, no matter how good. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Uehara - A

Dempster - C+ Solid.

I think some people didn't get the Drew signing because they assumed that this was a rebuilding year and they weren't able to understand that this team had a core of talent that could win now.  Maybe they don't understand the human element of the game and actually thought that this was a team with "69 win talent."  Obviously the Front Office and some educated fans knew better.  To those who think the Sox are going to trade Drew, Ellsbury or Saltlamacchia in a pennant race still don't get it, but fortunately for the fans, the Front Office does.  

Hey Jasko,

Its been a while since I talked with you. In Boston you dont have your typical "rebuilding" like other teams. They overspent a bit to get good team players to sign for short years while the kids progress. Did they over pay? Well, yeah. But there was a reason. They wanted to compete, but not sign any longer term deals. For that, especially in FA, you will probably overpay. Fortunately this team can afford to do that for a year or 2 until we know better which prospects are more likely to work out.

The FO will be level headed and stick to the plan. Unlike some here who lose their minds because Iggy has had a few good games and now want to trade Drew, or Salty and Ells for that matter. Not smart business and certainly not the way to go about winning a championship. Im a fan of Iggy and JBJ, but they are depth this year. We are very fortunate to be able to say that. They will have the next 5-6 years here to make a name for themselves. Until then.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Drew has added NOTHING to the team NADA - his role could have easily been replaced by Iggy and everyone wouldve benefited - Drew is a one year mercenary who has underperformed and been outperformed by Iggy. Also, this idea that Iggy wasnt ready is a joke. There were at least a dozen posters on this site who believed he deserved a chance to start. Instead we got the nonsensical he has to do better at AAA first (like Drew or Papi had to do that when they were sent down to prep) Now we have the "Drew signing made Iggy play better"...lol  yea OK. 

If you truly think Drew has been a good signing, the you have set the bar to incredibly low depths and thus almost all signings are therefore "good"...

As always - 100% correct!

just say it, Drew is no good...you wont burn in hell

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Manager John gets an A+, but it's not even mid-term.

Cherry gets an F. Payroll is still massive and yet to produce a single playoff win. He's into his 2nd year as GM, and this team has issues that most are overlooking because of where the team is today on the W/L record. What matters is the record after 162 games.

So the record after 59 games means nothing?  Cherry would get an F regardless if the team has 36 wins or 23 wins? 

If all that matters is the record after 162 games then why not give him an incomplete?

And if Farrell is an A+ manager shouldn't Cherry get some credit for trading for him?

[/QUOTE]

Since many of the acquistions received modest and poor grades, this means that Cherington is not responsible for the team's success since he must have inherited a ready made team.  This kind of reminds me of the Theo bashers who wanted to credit Duquette for a lot of the glory of the 2004 team.  By the same logic, this must mean that Theo is largely responsible for putting together the core of the 2013 group.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew is playing great, for God's sake.  His OPS is now up to .749 which is way above average for a shortstop-.679 is the average for AL shortstops.  He's got 24 RBI in 45 games, which is about 90 RBI for 162 games.  And that's from the bottom of the order.

And he's got one freaking error. 

What do you want?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Actually reminds me of Francona a bit.

Cherry gets an F. Payroll is still massive and yet to produce a single playoff win. He's into his 2nd year as GM, and this team has issues that most are overlooking because of where the team is today on the W/L record. What matters is the record after 162 games.

So the record after 59 games means nothing?  Cherry would get an F regardless if the team has 36 wins or 23 wins? 

If all that matters is the record after 162 games then why not give him an incomplete?

And if Farrell is an A+ manager shouldn't Cherry get some credit for trading for him?

[/QUOTE]

Since many of the acquistions received modest and poor grades, this means that Cherington is not responsible for the team's success since he must have inherited a ready made team.  This kind of reminds me of the Theo bashers who wanted to credit Duquette for a lot of the glory of the 2004 team.  By the same logic, this must mean that Theo is largely responsible for putting together the core of the 2013 group.  

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Drew is playing great, for God's sake.  His OPS is now up to .749 which is way above average for a shortstop-.679 is the average for AL shortstops.  He's got 24 RBI in 45 games, which is about 90 RBI for 162 games.  And that's from the bottom of the order.

And he's got one freaking error. 

What do you want?

I want Iggy to start. Is that clear? The guy who is making way less a year, is much better in the field, and has a batting avg 2x better than Drew. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Drew has added NOTHING to the team NADA - his role could have easily been replaced by Iggy and everyone wouldve benefited - Drew is a one year mercenary who has underperformed and been outperformed by Iggy. Also, this idea that Iggy wasnt ready is a joke. There were at least a dozen posters on this site who believed he deserved a chance to start. Instead we got the nonsensical he has to do better at AAA first (like Drew or Papi had to do that when they were sent down to prep) Now we have the "Drew signing made Iggy play better"...lol  yea OK. 

If you truly think Drew has been a good signing, the you have set the bar to incredibly low depths and thus almost all signings are therefore "good"...

Jeez, just watch the games and let go of your prejudices man.  All Drew was was an overpaid stop-gap measure.  And, if you can get over the one-year salary overpay, which isnt that hard, how can you say he is not decent.  Had a slow start because of his ST injury (which I know you will give him no inch on).  But he has been hitting decent, hitting timely, and been solid in the field.

Just say it, Drew isn't as bad as I thought he would be ... you won't burn in hell

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Victorino - C Played in 58% of games and percentage is dropping. 3-Year Contract will be disabling.

D - .705 OPS and hurt half the time.

Carp - B+ Low cost acquisition and has filled in for Victorino

A+ - Are you kidding me with a B+ grade? What more can you expect than a .980 OPS for nada?

Napoli - A Great production and bargain basement price of $5M.

A-  - We may end up paying him $13M, but he's been worth it, so far.

Drew - D $9.5M totally not justified especially so late and out of blue. In house options cheaper.

Ross - B Excellent defender, but batting average below Mendoza line

B+ - The .458 SLG has been helpful, and the staff has improved greatly, thanks in part to Ross.

Gomes - F Has provided nothing. Brentz and other AAA players would have provided value at zero cost.

F - But I expect Gomes to start doing well vs lefties- something we need badly.

Hanrahan F Why did they think they needed him?

F- Because Bailey was hurt and Uehara & Taz were unproven. I was against this deal.

Uehara A Outstanding bullpen member. Has been solid all year.

A+ Tremedous signing.

Dempster B- Has given them innings, but too many HR's and walks. Can't afford that in the American League.

B- - So far, he has pitched well enough to win more than he has.

Sox4ever

very sound analysis...i give Dempster a little lower grade -he's being paid very well and has been too inconsistent...   C+

Ryan has been pretty consistent, except for a 3 game stretch:

IP  ER

5.0  3

5.0  1

7.0  1

7.0  4

6.0  2

6.0  1

7.0  2

5.0  6

4.2  5

3.0  4

7.0  2

7.0  3

Shane has been hurt but he has done well when he has played  i would give him a little better grade   C+ as well

$13M for a .705 OPS is not better than a C+. His fielding has been very good, but the missed time due to injuries makes a C- about as high as I'd go.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, we know, but these are grades at this point in the season.

Also, didn't Ben trade for "Manager John"? Ben gets an A+ manager, but not even a D- for doing so.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 111SoxFan111's comment:

[QUOTE]

I still don't understand this sentiment.  If we had Iggy as our starter (and only viable option at SS), would you still feel a FA was not necessary if Iggy's slash line after 175 AB's was .100 / .150 / .150?  That scenario was MUCH more likely than what he's hitting right now.  Drew is an average to above average defensive shortstop with a long track record as an above average hitter for the position.  Given what we knew about Iggy this off-season and the fact we had payroll to play with, it was really a no-brainer to sign Drew on a one year deal.  How does no one get this???

This isn't revisionist talking on my part, and it has nothing to do with Iggy's padded by IF hits  offensive numbers. It's always been about Iggy's defense.

The "payroll to play with" could have been spent in a more high need area. It's not Iggy vs Drew, it's Iggy plus what $9.5M could have gotten as an upgrade elsewhere vs Drew.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The coffee has been brewing for weeks, and you still can't smell it.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

the more you open your mouth the more foolish you look. Drew has done NADA? maybe you should watch a few games...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The coffee has been brewing for weeks, and you still can't smell it.

Sox4ever

Ive been wide awake all season. Unlike some here. I knew what kind of a player Drew was/is. few (mostly the numbers people) didnt believe me about his defense and it was much better than the numbers suggested. Too bad those people have a hard time admitting it without saying something negative as well. We'll see if they trade away what kept them in this thing, which is their depth, so they can "play for the future" and forget about the here and now. And, if hes still here by seasons end, which I think he will be, and he has numbers resembling 2010 (which you seem to think is nearly impossible) we will see if hes offered a QO. Maybe he will, maybe not. But its certainly a possibility. Im hardly "clueless" when it comes to baseball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ben did ok on his free agent signings, but at this point victorino, hanrahan, gomes and drew are all proving to be bad moves. victorino has been good while healthy, the problem is that he cant stay healthy. gomes has been down right useless to say the least. we did not need gomes but since we were going for the all chemistry team he fit right in. hanrahan ben gets a fail on as apparently the sox knew he had some inury problems and still traded for him. drew was an unessesary signing to say the least. iggy continues to impress and is much younger than drew and has out hit him in terms of average and is better defensively. i guess the good thing about the drew signing is that we could trade him in a deal to fill another need. ross has been pretty much what u would expect out of him, the real surprise so far has been mike carp, he has preformed consistantly when given the opportunity to play throughout the season thus far, uehera has been solid for us and napoli has been better than expected as well. though napoli has had some defensive miscues and his average is quite low, but he has driven in runs consistantly. dempester has been pretty much as advertised. he throws strikes and logs innings. hes a good 4/5 starter in the AL and is being paid like a #3. Thankfull he is only signed for 1 more year after this one, so he could be traded to open up a spot if need be.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

The 13 mil we gave Vic will turn out to be a far worse deal than the 9 mil for Drew.

I can't see how anyone can think otherwise.

I get a kick out of some people here. Yeah, lets trade Drew when Middy hasnt done squat this year. Also, Iggy has had some injuries every year. If he goes down AND Middy continues to slump, then what? Iggy at 3b and Drew at SS is our best option right now. Trading depth is certainly not the answer. Unbelievable. Some here couldnt construct a LL baseball team, never mind a MLB one.

Sections
Shortcuts