Red Sox Doing Great but Ben Cherington's 2013 FA signings?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Red Sox Doing Great but Ben Cherington's 2013 FA signings?

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

If I had to give a grade of Cherington's signings at the 1/3 point in the season, here is where we would be:

Victorino - C Played in 58% of games and percentage is dropping. 3-Year Contract will be disabling.

Carp - B+ Low cost acquisition and has filled in for Victorino

Napoli - A Great production and bargain basement price of $5M.

Drew - D $9.5M totally not justified especially so late and out of blue. In house options cheaper.

Ross - B Excellent defender, but batting average below Mendoza line

Gomes - F Has provided nothing. Brentz and other AAA players would have provided value at zero cost.

Hanrahan F Why did they think they needed him?

Uehara A Outstanding bullpen member. Has been solid all year.

Dempster B- Has given them innings, but too many HR's and walks. Can't afford that in the American League.

Gomes was brought in for OBP which he has done alright. I would give Drew some credit he had a horrible start and a decent May. He plays decent defense, hits for a little power, and has 4 or 5 game winning hits. Hanarhan hasn't worked out but you would've trusted Bailey?

[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me about Gomes? He was brought in for power, and to knock in runs. His OBP is .321. It is only that high because he has a good amount of walks. He's batting .173 and I can't remember many clutch hits he's had all year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Watch out BMav, myself and another poster got called "clueless" and were told to "wake up and small the coffee" for even suggesting the possibility of extending Drew a QO if his numbers resemble his 2010 year, which is a very good possibility. Hes at .749 OPS right now and I would bet it will be closer to, if not above .800 by years end.

The coffee has been brewing for weeks, and you still can't smell it.

Sox4ever

Ive been wide awake all season. Unlike some here. I knew what kind of a player Drew was/is. few (mostly the numbers people) didnt believe me about his defense and it was much better than the numbers suggested. Too bad those people have a hard time admitting it without saying something negative as well. We'll see if they trade away what kept them in this thing, which is their depth, so they can "play for the future" and forget about the here and now. And, if hes still here by seasons end, which I think he will be, and he has numbers resembling 2010 (which you seem to think is nearly impossible) we will see if hes offered a QO. Maybe he will, maybe not. But its certainly a possibility. Im hardly "clueless" when it comes to baseball.

[/QUOTE]

I have a lot of repsect for you, and I have admitted Drew is a better fielder than I thought, but (you knew it was coming), he's still not nearly as good as Iggy in the field. His hitting has come in bunches (11 of his 37 hits are in just 3 games- 2 of which were blow-outs), but it's too early to criticize him for that.

His .751 OPS is still pretty far away from .810.

He's 40 points behind in BA, 20 in OBP and 40 in SLG. He's on pace for more HRs and RBIs than 2010, if you pro-rate by PAs.

He's at .798 the last 28 days, so that is a good sign, but still, with a .228 BA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

The 13 mil we gave Vic will turn out to be a far worse deal than the 9 mil for Drew.

I can't see how anyone can think otherwise.

The 3 years is the worst of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Are you kidding me about Gomes? He was brought in for power, and to knock in runs. His OBP is .321. It is only that high because he has a good amount of walks. He's batting .173 and I can't remember many clutch hits he's had all year.

Yeah, he's hit barely 20 HRs 3 times in his career, once in just over 300 PAs, but who's kidding who here?

He was not brought in for power as much as he was for his OBP vs LHPs. Here are his career splits adjusted to 162 games:

558 PAs  .241  24  73  (.334 OBP and .449 SLG)

but....

vs LHPs:

.276  29  88  (.378 OBP and .503 SLG)

2012: .413

2011: .407

Out of the 98 players with 300+ PAs against LHPs from 2011-2012, Gomes placed 9th with a .411 OBP... better than Papi, Swisher, Jeter, AGon... His SLG% placed 17th at .524.

It's still early yet, but Gomes certainly is struggling to get hits.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Drew is playing great, for God's sake.  His OPS is now up to .749 which is way above average for a shortstop-.679 is the average for AL shortstops.  He's got 24 RBI in 45 games, which is about 90 RBI for 162 games.  And that's from the bottom of the order.

And he's got one freaking error. 

What do you want?

I want Iggy to start. Is that clear? The guy who is making way less a year, is much better in the field, and has a batting avg 2x better than Drew. 

[/QUOTE]

So Drew a bad player just because you would rather have Iggy? This is twisted logical. If Drew went on to hit 30 and 100, you would still be forced to boo him because Igelias hit 125 last year and cost himself a job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

ADG I thought your grades were mostly fair though could be premature in some ways. I think Drew has been a little better overall than you say, especially lately. Hard to knock one year deals. Victorino looks like it could be the worst of the bunch because it is a three year deal but at the same time because it's longer term may need a bit more time to sort. 

My only point to you would be this: will you acknowledge it's impossible to get straight As on free agent signings? You're going to have some misses - everybody does. 

On balance, given that and given your grades, you should have given Cherington a B overall in my opinion. The team is in first place and he hit on enough things, and the things he missed on to some extent are mostly short term deals. That's a solid B dude. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ADG is the sparkplug of this forum.

I guess that makes softy the alternator.

Pike's the muffler.

Did I miss anyone?

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Yeah, you're the onboard computer and Georom is the out-of-alignment  front passenger wheel, trying to pull you into the ditch.

Seriously, Iglesias hit .118 last year, and Bogaerts is still at least a year away. If Ben C. HADN'T signed a short term fill-in, we'd have been excorciating him for months now. Cost a bit high, but that's the baseball F.A. marketplace. Drew is performing more than adequately and we have viable infield depth.....especially if / when Middlebrooks returns and resumes hitting.

Would I LOVE to see Iggy continue to hit .400 + ?  Of course. Do I expect it ?   Mmmm, no. Would I like to see M'brooks return and slug .450 ? Of course.

But having Drew around is pretty nice insurance, especially if he keeps his OPS at or even above .750 . It really doesn't have to be an either / or thing, it can be a both thing.

And due to 3 years length plus dubious health, the Victorino deal may end up haunting us the most. Although it also made sense given Ellsbury's injury history and uncertainty of Bradley Jr's readiness. But let's get real.....other than HUGE signings like Pujols / Hamilton / Greinke, if a G.M. hits on at least 60 % of his signings / trades / moves / etc. he's doing just fine. Like picking micro-cap stocks, more winners than losers equals big results.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The moves Cherrington made were made so we can withstand injuries and avoid prolongled slumps. Like we saw last year, the Sox couldnt hang when they suffered injuries to their main players. Not so this year.

If they just traded Drew right now like some dimwits here want to, what happens if Iggy or Middy go down again? Ciriaco? Holt? Sorry, but they are not going to get rid of their depth just so they can "play the kids". The "kids" will get every chance to succeed. Depth was part of the plan this offseason and it has already paid off with Ellsbury, Victorino and Middy going down and the Sox still rising up into 1st place by 2.5 games.

Some people here only care about getting some prospect because they dont want the player to just walk at the end of the year without getting something. They think this is being a smart GM. WRONG. Apparently getting a chance to win a WS isnt important to them. If you just trade them and something happens in say, august or september, the Sox would be dead in the water. Depth saves teams and seperates them from the others. Id rather have Middy, Drew, Iggy, JBJ, Ells, Vic, and Salty than just Iggy. JBJ, Vic, and Middy. If one of them goes down, then what? Ill tell you what, we start losing because there isnt a quality player that can step in and produce at a winning level.

Cherrington gets an A for putting together a team that can withstand injuries and avoid prolonged slumps all while keeping all their prospects in tact for future use, one way or another. hes put this team in a great position for the here and now, AND the future. You can individualize all the moves, but I look at it as a whole because injuries, slumps and all sorts of things can happen in a 162 game season. How they handle it and come out the other side is what counts. Theis teams has handled everything so far and are still in 1st place one week into June.

Agreed.

Fans do not like "depth."  Fans like players.  They want to see their guy out there, no matter what.

The only time thry want depth is when the team needs it and doesn't have it

Sections
Shortcuts