Red Sox Draft Preview: Players Linked to the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Red Sox Draft Preview: Players Linked to the Sox

In Response to Re: Red Sox Draft Preview: Players Linked to the Sox:
    [QUOTE]is Barnes a projected starter or middle relief guy?
    Posted by MuellerTime19[/QUOTE]

Starter. Looks like a #2 or 3 to me in terms of upside.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Well, so far I'm one out of 2. If I get one more I'll be real happy!

We finally drafted an athletic catcher! Wow! Swihart was the better pick to me because he could be moved off catcher if necessary as his bat may well play at 3rd or 2nd.

I hope we can still bag Josh Bell, and sign him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Boomerang..Thanks for the props earlier.I'm happy to share info with my fellow Sox fans.Looking good in the draft so far.

Good Scouting report and a couple videos of the Red Sox 2nd pick Blake Swihart:

http://diamondscapescouting.com/scoutingreports_2011_swihartbl.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm 2 out of 2 tonight,

I like Swiharts bat, but I doubt he stays behind the plate.  I'm going with Dillion Howard or Henry Owens for their next pick,  I'd say Howard. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

good picks so far, except i am not a fan of the jackie bradley pick. i would have taken a shot at josh bell. he will be tough to sign no doubt but he has huge power potential and is a switch hitter. Dont really get the jackie bradley pick. Henry owens seems like a good pick. I would have used pick 36 to take bell and 40 to take matt purke. that would have been one hell of a draft. now we dont pick again till 111. doubt bell or purke will still be there by then. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I don't have a big problem with passing so far on Bell and Purke. Bell is raw and maybe just not worth the $5-$6 mil he wants. Maybe he's a lower level pick we just throw out there and offer him $3 mil. If he takes it fine. If not, fine. 

Purke has a shoulder problem and it's not like Ranaudo's situation last year. Most teams are not going to offer the guy even $2 mil with a shoulder problem. A forearm or elbow issue is one thing. A shoulder issue is much larger.,

Maybe Bell said don't draft me because Boras talked to everyone involved and no one was willing to go to the $5-$6 mil level. Boras has turned down million dollar deals before.

So far, I'm most pleased with the Swihart pick. He's hitting with the national team is off the charts, as a former teammate with Sean Coyle and Cecchini I presume. Swihart looks like a hitter. If he can also catch problem solved. He seems like he has a quick release. I like that pick.

I would have gone higher upside rather than pick Barnes. He was projected maybe as a top 10 so he is a solid pick but I was hopeful for more. I've got to admit to a small bias against New England players. They just don't get the playing time to develop but maybe that is part of his attractiveness. His arm is fresh and healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Owens is 6' 6" with a low 90s fastball and decent command. The upside doesn't appear to be there but he is skinny as heck and who knows?

EDIT: He has been reported to top out at 95 so maybe I'm wrong but I thought he was sitting around 92-93.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I love the Barnes and Swihart picks. Owens and Bradley are wait and see to me. Although the last South Carolina guy I remember the Sox drafting turned out to be a pretty good ball player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The more I read about these guys the better they sound, and we are by no means done.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder if there is a guy Theo is really bummed out thate he narrowly missed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

I'm concerned about the chances of signing Swihart.  It seems he's committed to Texas (the University) and has his heart set.  Of course, dangling a lot of green in front of his face could change his mind, but it's not going to be easy, apparently.

On Barnes, I've been reading that he fell in the draft because it's believed that it's going to take a long time for him to develop into an MLB starter despite being one in college.  The Sox may see him as another set-up type and he could help out a lot sooner as a reliever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Draft Preview: Players Linked to the Sox:
    [QUOTE]I'm concerned about the chances of signing Swihart.  It seems he's committed to Texas (the University) and has his heart set.  Of course, dangling a lot of green in front of his face could change his mind, but it's not going to be easy, apparently. On Barnes, I've been reading that he fell in the draft because it's believed that it's going to take a long time for him to develop into an MLB starter despite being one in college.  The Sox may see him as another set-up type and he could help out a lot sooner as a reliever.
    Posted by joeyama99[/QUOTE]

It's going to come down to if he can develop an effective 3rd pitch or not (his change up needs serious work from what I've read).  At worst, he should be a high leverage reliever though.  Teams need those too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From ESPNBoston.com:

With the No. 81 pick in the MLB draft, the Red Sox selected OF Williams Jerez from Grand Street HS in Brooklyn, N.Y. Check back here for all of the Sox's Day 2 picks:

Round 2, No. 81: OF Williams Jerez, Grand Street HS, Brooklyn, N.Y.
    Baseball America on Jerez: Jerez moved from the Dominican Republic with his father two years ago. He originally drew interest as a lefthander, but he has more potential as a center fielder and has generated a lot of buzz this spring after playing in Florida for Hank's Yanks, a team sponsored by Yankees owner Hank Steinbrenner. Jerez's 6-foot-4, 190-pound frame is what one scout described as "about as good a body as you could imagine." He has a wiry strong build and should add bulk as he matures. He has average raw power, with loft and leverage in his swing, which has a tendency to get long. Some scouts worry how he will fare against premium velocity, but his bat speed has improved even since March. Jerez has a plus arm and plus speed, but it doesn't play down the line because he's slow out of the batter's box. There's no consensus on Jerez: Some scouts question his background and age and don't like his bat, while others project on his raw tools and athleticism.

Round 3, No. 111: C Jordan Weems, Columbus HS (Ga.)
    Baseball America: Weems has taken advantage of his bloodlines, his own improved play, the down year in Georgia and the dearth of catching to jump up draft boards. He helped lead Columbus High to a state championship in 2010, and he helped the team reach the state 3-A semifinals this season. ... Weems is tall and lanky at a listed 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, and lacks present strength. Scouts have to project his hitting ability and power because of his lack of physicality. His arm gets easy above-average grades, and he posts sub-2.0-second pop times. He's a decent receiver now who projects to be average with more strength. Weems is committed to Georgia State.

Round 4, No. 142: RHP Noe Ramirez, Cal State Fullerton
    Baseball America: Ramirez was lightly recruited and undrafted out of Alhambra (Calif.) High in 2008, but he developed into a top-two-rounds candidate during three stellar seasons at Cal State Fullerton. ... Lean and wiry at 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, Ramirez has gotten stronger since high school, increasing his fastball velocity from the 86-88 mph range to the 88-91 range now, peaking at 92-93 early in games. He generally commands his fastball well, but his bread-and-butter is his offspeed stuff. ... Ramirez is a fearless competitor with outstanding feel for pitching and one of the best track records in the draft. He has the stuff and makeup to become a mid- to late-rotation starter in the big leagues.

Round 5, No. 172: SS Markus Betts, John Overton HS (Tenn.)

Round 6, No. 202: LHP Miguel Pena, San Jacinto JC (Texas)
    Baseball America: Lefthander Miguel Pena is essentially the same pitcher he was when the Nationals made him a surprise fifth-round pick out of high school two years ago. He's still 6-foot-2 and 160 pounds, and he still has an 88-91 mph fastball, a sharp curveball and a solid changeup. He repeats his clean delivery well, allowing him to throw strikes with ease. He won 25 games in two years at San Jacinto, though getting sent home from the Cape Cod League last summer for disciplinary reasons hurts his cause. A 13th-round pick of the Padres in 2010, he should go in roughly the same area of the 2011 draft. If he doesn't sign, he'll attend Lubbock Christian.

Round 7, No. 232: LHP Cody Kukuk, Lawrence Free State HS (Kan.)
    Keith Law/Jason Churchill: Kukuk is a big, broad-shouldered lefty with arm strength and the makings of a very good breaking ball. He offers lots of projection for teams drafting after the polished high school arms are gone.

He will sit 90-93 with some heavy life on the pitch, and his curveball at 76-78 has good shape and depth when he finishes the pitch. He's doing this despite a tendency to lean forward as he drifts off the rubber and a lack of real hip rotation, so his size and strong legs are kind of going to waste. He's a player development project, but pitching coaches love to see a 6-foot-4 left-hander who's already in the low 90s walk in the door, and you can see a huge talent here if you dream on him a little.

Round 8, No. 262: CF Senquez Golson, Pascagoula HS (MS)
    Keith Law/Jason Churchill: Golson is a tooled-up, fast-twitch player who's very crude on the baseball field but is attracting attention because of his outstanding athleticism. (He also plays cornerback in football and signed a letter of intent to play at Ole Miss.)

He has great bat speed, accelerating his hands very quickly from the set position, but the swing is very flat and slappy, with any power potential remaining untapped until that changes. He's a plus runner with arm strength who might learn centerfield in time but whose feel for the game (such as reads on fly balls) needs work. The history of Mississippi position players drafted (and signed) high out of high school is not pretty, from Wendell Fairley to David Renfroe to ? well, you get the picture. But Golson's broad mix of plus tools is hard enough to find that some team will look to buck history and grab that raw material.

Round 9, No. 292: 3B Travis Shaw, Kent State (OH)
    Baseball America: Has the size (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and lefthanded power that scouts want in a third baseman, plus good bloodlines. His father Jeff made two all-star teams and saved 203 games in a 12-year major league career. ... To his credit, he batted a solid .260/.378/.402 in the Cape Cod League last summer. Though Shaw has the hands and arm strength for the hot corner, he lacks quickness and agility, so he'll probably have to move to first base as a pro.

Round 10, No. 322: CF Cody Koback, Wisconsin-Stevens Point
    Baseball America: Koback is more toolsy than the typical Wisconsin position prospect. The 6-foot, 185-pounder has well above-average speed, though he's still learning to make the most of it on the bases and in center field. He makes consistent contact and has gap power from the right side of the plate, and his arm is solid.

Round 11, No. 352: LHP Kevin Brahney, Chico State (Calif.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I already have a problem with Barnes.  I can overlook the fact that he's a Yankee fan but I saw his interview on MLB Network and he says his favorite player is Joba Chamberlain.  Yikes!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

This year was supposed to be a huge draft for us, and it was very good, but with the rumors of upcoming CBA changes every team drafted aggressively and we had fewer overslot signings as a result. No Lars Anderson types down in round 8...etc. IMO, the Sox did well but it does not appear to be as good as last year even with the extra picks.

I do like the first 7 picks a lot though. Haven't studied the rest that much yet:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boom, what's your view on TB's picks?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Moon, they had 12 top 200 picks in their mix, more than any other team. Next was San Diego if I remember correctly with 10. We had around 8.

They didn't have many picks in the top 30 though. They didn't go for a lot of overslot guys. Overall they had a great draft for sure but it wasn't as dominant in terms of the extremely high end guys. I don't think they had anyone as good as our top 2 picks for example, if I remember correctly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

This Williams Jerez pick is interesting. He could be a tremendous player going forward, and we took him right under the Yanks noses. It terms of upside he could be a huge find. His swing is kind of long though and there are issues developmentally in general but he could well end up being the stud of the draft.

I saw a lot of great pitching available but to me Bubba Starling looked to be one of the biggest talents in the draft. Kansas City is stocking up with some huge young talent. And Arizona has now possibly 3 starters just from this draft alone and Washington made out like bandits again this year. Huge haul of top flight talent. Pittsburgh did well.

The guy who is sneaking under the radar though is Jed Hoyer. They are rebuilding that team quietly but I think successfully. Word is they are calling up Rizzo this week. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

From what I have read, we did very well. Let's hope we found a catcher for the future.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

well lets hop swihart stays behind the plate long term. there are already questions about him staying at catcher. If he does he could be a great pick. switch hitter with .300 avg 30 homer potential(he sounds like a young victor martinez).barnes should be good though i gotta say him being a yankees fan and on top of that a joba chamberlain fan makes me dislike him to an extent. henry owens was an ok pick, not a big fan of him. jackie bradley could be good but i would have rather taken a shot at josh bell, williams jerez is an interesting pick. he looks like he could be a really good player. comparisons to carlos beltran have been made. I really hope he turns out to be a really good player because we took him from right under the yankees nose. he went to hanks camp and they really liked him. so it would make it that much more satisfying if he turns out to be a stud.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

from WEEI.com:

In 1985, the Red Sox drafted first baseman Tino Martinez in the third round of the draft. They failed to sign him. He went on to have a terrific college career at the University of Tampa, after which the Mariners took him as a first rounder in 1988. He went on to hit 339 homers in more than 2,000 major league games.

More than 25 years later, the Sox couldn’t draft Tino Martinez in rounds 21-30 of the 2011 draft, but they could take a player who was a finalist for the Tino Martinez Award as the best player in Division 2.

21st round (No. 652): Austin Davidson, INF, Oxnard HS (California)

Davidson’s best asset is his arm and his defense. He has the ability to play third base, shortstop and second base. He is not known much for his bat and does not have much power. Davidson has committed to play at Pepperdine.

22nd round (No. 682): Joseph Holtmeyer, RHP, University of Nebraska-Omaha

Holtmeyer was a finalist for the Tino Martinez Award last year as the country’s best Division 2 player. Also, he won the NCAA Division 2 strikeout Award for having the most strikeouts in all of Division 2 with 152. He has a pretty big build as he stands at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds. This past spring he had 94 strikeouts in 71 innings pitched. He had a 3.18 ERA in seven starts for Harwich in the Cape League last summer, striking out 37 and walking 13 in 39 2/3 innings.

23rd round (No. 712): Jarrett Brown, LHP, Salem HS (Georgia)

Brown is expected to play at the University of Georgia the next three years and fine tune his game. The left-hander currently has a fastball in the high 80′s, but has yet to develop a consistent off-speed pitch. He was went 5-4 with a 2.48 ERA and 96 strikeouts in 53 2/3 innings this past spring, though he only recently became a starter. His high school coach told the Rockdale Citizen that Brown is raw with big upside, suggesting that he has as much talent as former Sox prospect Brandon Moss did while playing in the district, but that his need to refine his skills suggests that unless he gets “life-changing money” he should go to college.

24th round (No. 742): Andrew Turocy, CF, Akron

Turocy led Akron in almost every offensive category this past season including home runs (7), batting average (.347), slugging percentage (.563) and runs (35). In high school he won a Division 2 Ohio state championship in 2007, and was 9-1 record on the mound with an ERA of 0.66; he underwent Tommy John surgery in college, and while he had been a two-way player early in his college career, he spent this past year working exclusively as an outfielder.

Turocy was told that he would play the outfield with the Sox. He told the Youngstown Vindicator (yes, there is a paper by that name) that he had stopped following the draft after Round 20; he was in his bedroom when he learned that he was drafted when he heard his brother screaming downstairs.

25th round (No. 772): Taylor Ard, 1B, Washington State

Ard had an outstanding first season in the Pac-10 after transferring from Mt. Hood Community College. As a redshirt sophomore, he led the conference in home runs with 10 and RBIs with 55. He also led Washington State with a .337 batting average, 17 doubles, 40 runs and a .577 slugging percentage.

26th round (No. 802): Cody Dill, RHP, Los Osos HS (Calif.)

Has a scholarship offer to pitch at UC-Riverside. The right-hander certainly has room to fill out, as he’s listed at 6-foot-2 and 165 pounds on his high school roster.

27th round (No. 832): Alex Massey, RHP, Catholic HS (Louis.)

The 6-foot-2 right-hander signed a letter of intent to play at Tulane after establishing himself as one of the top prep prospects in Louisiana. He has a low-90s fastball and the makings of a solid curveball, but is considered to be a tough sign.

28th round (No. 862): Brenden Shepherd, RHP, Stonehill College (Mass.)

In his first full-year as a pitcher, Shepherd emerged as Stonehill’s closer, striking out 34 and walking 15 in 22 1/3 innings while showing a low-90s fastball. He saved 10 games and had a 3.63 ERA. Naturally, the local product — the first player from Massachusetts drafted by the Sox this year — was thrilled to be drafted by his hometown team, as he told the Patriot Ledger.

29th round (No. 892): Matt Spalding, RHP, St. Xavier HS (Ky.)

Spalding is a hard-throwing (90-93 mph fastball), slight righty. The breakdown from Baseball America:

“Righthander Matt Spalding’s fastball sits at 91-93 mph and peaks at 95, and he has held his velocity deep into games and throughout the spring. He has significant effort and a head whack in his delivery and there’s not much projection in his 6-foot, 180-pound frame. His slider lacks consistent bite, and he faces a future as a reliever in pro ball.”

He has a commitment to Western Kentucky that the team’s head coach anticipates he will honor.

30th round (No. 912): Nick Moore, 3B, Brookwood HS (Ga.)

He was an impact defensive player at a prominent high school football program (for whom he served as a ball boy growing up), ranking among the national leaders in interceptions. But he recognized that his future was in baseball early, according to this profile. He has a commitment to play at Kennesaw State University. He’s considered to be athletic with intriguing raw power.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From WEEI.com:

Wednesday night, Luis Exposito got the call. With Jarrod Saltalamacchia sick, Exposito was summoned to Yankee Stadium for his first day as a major leaguer.

The timing seemed appropriate, since his call-up came on a day when Major League Baseball conducted Rounds 31-50 of its amateur draft. Exposito, after all, was taken by the Sox in the 31st round of the 2005 selection process as a draft-and-follow; he was signed prior to the 2006 draft, and over his six seasons in pro ball, he’s developed into a player whose abilities suggest that he has a major league future.

The third day of the draft, for obvious reasons, will feature fewer players with big league futures than the first two. Nonetheless, there are future big leaguers to be found in the final 20 rounds of the draft. Certainly, Exposito can offer hope to some of the players taken by the Sox on Wednesday.

31st round: Tyler Wells, OF, Lexington Catholic HS (Ky.)

Based on the limited available information on the interweb, it would appear that Wells won the John Philip Sousa Band award and was a National Honor Society member at Lexington Catholic, a school that had one of the top baseball programs in Kentucky. He is listed at 6-foot-4 and 195 pounds, and is considered a fast-twitch athlete with a good swing, some speed and an idea of what he is doing at the plate. He does not have a known commitment to a college program.

32nd round: Julius Gaines, SS, Luella High School (Ga.)

Gaines is considered an athletics shortstop with a good glove. He dealt with early-season shoulder issues as a senior, but improved as the year progressed and ended up hitting .391 with two homers. Entering the year, he was projected to be a pick in the relatively early rounds, but appeared to slip due to his performance while playing through the injury. He has a commitment to Florida Atlantic University; Gaines fits the profile of a high-school draftee whom the Sox will follow over the summer to determine what kind of offer, if any, to make in hopes of convincing him to turn pro. www.mycountypaper.com/henrysports/headlines/Gaines_hoping_to_have_his_name_called_early_in_draft________________________________123145958.html" target="_blank">Gaines told the Henry Daily-Herald that he was open to turning pro, depending on where he was drafted and what kind of offer he received.

33rd round: David Chester, 1B, University of Pittsburgh

At 6-foot-5 and 270 pounds, he likely wins the prize for the biggest player drafted by the Sox (helped in part because the team’s tallest draftees, such as 6-foot-6 sandwich pick Henry Owens, are rail thin). Chester is a senior out of Pitt who mashed in Big East play. He led the conference with 16 homers while hitting .345 with a .470 OBP and .665 slugging mark. He’s a likely candidate to land in Lowell.

34th round: Ben Dartnell, LHP, Vauxhall High School (Manitoba)

A 6-foot-3, 210 pound lefty from Canada, www.winnipegsun.com/2011/06/08/red-sox-draft-local-hurler" target="_blank">Dartnell told the Winnipeg Sun that he was pleasantly surprised when the Red Sox — his favorite team — drafted him, since he’d had little contact with them. He had worked out for the Brewers. The article suggests that Dartnell throws as hard as 91 mph.

Also noteworthy: Vauxhall is a place of profound yet subtle significance, as the Vauxhall Gardens in London were a cultural institution from the 17th to 19th century that helped to shape popular amusements — such as amusement parks — into present times.

35th round: Carlos Coste C R/R 6-2 186 Academia Bautista High School San Juan, Puerto Rico

The Red Sox have been aggressive in drafting talent from Puerto Rico in recent years, most notably with 2009 first-rounder Reymond Fuentes and 2010 fifth-rounder Henry Ramos. Coste is from the Puerto Rican Baseball Academy.

36th round: Jace Herrera, RHP, Wekiva High School (Fla.)

Herrera is a 6-foot-4 right-hander who was a standout performer in the Orlando area. He features a high-80s fastball with a hard slider. He has a commitment to the University of Miami.

37th round: Robert Youngdahl, OF, Hill-Murray High School (Minn.)

Youngdahl was recruited to pitch at Kansas State as a pitcher, as the 6-foot-2 left-hander bumps 90 mph with a diverse array of pitches. He was 13-5 with a 1.98 ERA and 123 strikeouts in 118 innings as a junior. He had better than a 4.0 GPA, and turned down an offer to pitch at Dartmouth. However, he was also an accomplished hitter for his prep team, and was named www.startribune.com/sports/120668059.html" target="_blank">Athlete of the Week by the Minneapolis Star-Tribune early in the season on the strength of his two-way performance.

38th round: Tyler Poole, RHP, Hickory HS (NC)

Poole is a 6-foot-6, 205-pound right-hander originally had a commitment to play basketball at Ole Miss before electing to accept a two-sport scholarship at Coastal Carolina. www.observernewsonline.com/content/three-area-baseball-players-could-be-selected-mlb-draft" target="_blank">He told the Observer-News that he is likely to go to college, barring an unexpectedly significant bonus offer.

39th round: Corey Vogt, RHP, Keene State College (Conn.)

Vogt is a a two-time All-Little East Conference reliever who had four saves, a 2.82 ERA and 30 punchouts in 22 1/3 innings for Keene State. The lifelong Yankees fan had a workout at Fenway Park over the weekend, and told GM Theo Epstein, “You better draft me if I’m doing this for you.” Vogt, in a school press release, said that he would have no problem shifting allegiances now that he has been selected by the Sox.

“They’re paying my salary now, so I won’t have a hard time with it,” he said. “It’s going to be cool playing baseball and earning a paycheck doing it.”

Vogt throws in the low-90s.

40th round: Jordan Gross, LHP, Don Bosco Prep HS (NJ)

Gross is a 6-foot-2 lefty whose fastball has registered in the low-90s. He has a commitment to Tulane that is considered nearly unbreakable, so at the least, the Sox may use the summer as an opportunity to get to know the well-regarded southpaw, who was undefeated and had thrown a pair of no-hitters by late-May.

41st round: Matt Marquis, OF, University of Maryland

Marquis, the son of two University of Maine alums, transferred from Vanderbilt to become an everyday centerfielder for the Terps. He had a terrible outfield collision at the beginning of May that kept him out for the rest of the year. He was hitting .207 at the time of the injury.

42nd round: Derek O’Dell, SS, Canyon High School (Texas)

O’Dell is a multi-sport athlete who has a commitment to TCU. He stopped playing basketball this winter so he could focus on his baseball career. His movements at short at fluid, and he drove the ball to the gaps for Canyon.

43rd round: Brandon Downes, OF, South Plainfield High School (N.J.)

Downes put up big power numbers as a high school junior, hitting .484 with a 1.063 slugging mark while hitting a school record 15 homers. His numbers took a hit as a senior as opponents pitched around him. Still, he is regarded as a player with a broad skill set and impressive athleticism. He has a commitment to play baseball at the University of Virginia, and suggested that it is unlikely that he would change course.

44th round: Matt Martin, C, The Pendleton School (Fla.)

A catcher with an all-fields approach and enough arm strength to have registered some sub-2.00 pop times while throwing to second base. Martin is playing for the summer league Florida Bombers, where the Sox will likely follow him this year. As of early 2011, he did not have a college scholarship.

45th round: Matt Gedman, 3B, UMASS

The son of former Red Sox catcher Rich Gedman will likely have the opportunity to play for his father, the hitting coach for the Lowell Spinners. Gedman hit .402 as a senior at UMASS, and finishes his four-year career with a .334 average and 14 homers in 142 games. Baseball America describes him as a scrapper whose performance exceeds his tools.

46th round: Mac Williamson, OF, Wake Forest University (N.C.)

At 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, he’s a physically imposing player who hit .273 with a .368 OBP, .493 slugging mark and a team-leading 12 homers and 49 RBI. He would appear to have raw power, as his coach described his batting practice sessions as “flat-out scary.” Williamson was a redshirt sophomore in 2011, so he can return to school in hopes of improving his draft stock as a junior next year without losing leverage.

The outfielder refuses to eat raw fish.

47th round: Sam Wolff, RHP, College of Southern Nevada

Wolff passed when drafted by the Angels in 2009. He enrolled at the University of San Diego before transferring after his freshman year to the College of Southern Nevada. He has a big fastball, and claims to have touched 97 mph while sitting at 94-95 mph, and he told InsideDakotaSports.com that he wants to sign.

“Honestly, I really want to sign more than anything,” Wolff told the website. “But certain things have to be right. The biggest thing about professional baseball is getting your foot in the door and getting into the system. That’s what I am looking for. I want to deal with professional coaches and start professional development.”

Wolff said the Angels and Red Sox had been the two most interested teams in him. He had been told by the Angels that he’d go as early as the fifth to eighth round. Wolff was 6-4 with a 4.48 ERA last year.

48th round: David Sosebee, RHP, White County HS (Ga.)

Sosebee went 10-1 with a 0.61 ERA as a senior after going 7-1 with a 0.76 ERA and 101 strikeouts in 55 innings as a junior. The 6-foot-1 right-hander has a commitment to pitch for the University of Georgia. He showed an ability to command a 90 mph fastball, curve and changeup.

49th round: Jadd Schmeltzer, RHP, Cornell University

No player drafted out of Cornell has ever reached the big leagues. The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Schmeltzer — a pitcher whose stature is suitable for his school’s Big Red mascot — is hoping to buck the trend. According to this wide-ranging interview with his campus paper, Schmeltzer drove an H3 around campus in Ithaca, playing videos of his high school football highlights in it. It would also appear that he is prone to malapropisms.

Schmeltzer, who gave up playing football after his freshman year to focus on baseball, also gave up being a two-way player as a senior to focus on pitching. He went 3-4 with a 3.63 ERA, 38 strikeouts and 20 walks as a senior. Perhaps most notably, he did not permit a single homer. At least in his high school career, he worked mostly in the high-80s with his fastball with a slow curve that measured in the 60s.

50th round: John Gorman, RHP, Catholic Memorial HS (Mass.)

The Red Sox began and ended their draft with right-handed pitchers from New England. Gorman went 6-1 with a 0.14 ERA and 72 strikeouts in 51 innings to earn Gatorade Massachusetts Baseball Player of the Year honors. He is expected to enroll in Boston College this fall.