Red Sox Dysfunction Overblown by the Media

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Red Sox Dysfunction Overblown by the Media

It have been over-blown in all year along.  That is why Red Sox team arent going to talk too much to the medias.  Like Beckett.  Fans get mad at Beckett for refusing to talk to the medias, and I was like, he have a good reason not to talk to these medias cuz they tend to make up stories!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Clubhouse dysfunction does not always have a significant negative effect on a team's performance (see Reggie, Billy and the Yanks).

2) The media thrives on controversy and will create some where none exists, or it will pump up minor issues into major catastrophies.

3) What surprises me most is how many Sox fans fall for the hype. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

so you all are saying we are in good shape?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

EnchiladaT,

They did not say that, only that the clubhouse stories are mostly fabricated. 

The best clubhouse in the world can't fix the struggles of Beckett and Lester, the injuries, etc.  The Sox are 1 game above .500 on the last day of July, so one can hardly say the Sox are in good shape.  But they are also just 4 games from a wild card slot and just maybe the return of CC, Ells, and eventually Ortiz will keep the offense going--and the rotation will right itself. 

I personally think everyone on the team wants to win and that there are zero slackers.  AGon is the best example.  His dingers are down, but his hitting and fielding are still good, and he shows up to play every darn day and is willing to do whatever to help the team win, including 16 games in RF to get Ortiz and Youk into the lineup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Dysfunction Overblown by the Media:
    so you all are saying we are in good shape?
    Posted by EnchiladaT

If you ask that question a month ago, we would say, probably not.

Since Ellsbury, Ross, Crawford and Pedroria are back in the line up, I would say they are sort of in a good shape for now.  And once Big Papi come back, then they will be a much better shape than they are now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Buster Olney has, in one fell swoop, crumbled his journalistic integrity with his ridiculous mission to show the Sox clubhouse as dysfunctional.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

These are not the droids you're looking for.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

yeah ok
    Posted by pinstripezac

What will be the Yanks' excuse when they get knocked out?  Not exactly lighting up the pitching stats, huh?  You don't have the rotation to do much.

My point is, even without perceived dysfuntcion, teams still wallow in mediocrity.  And make no mistake:  The Yanks are a mediocre team right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

i agree this has been overblown all year by the media, i am sick and tired of hearing about the "toxic clubhouse" type stories. acutally heard a radio host this morning compare Beckett now to Manny of 2008..... i just shook my head what a joke the media is at times.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Red Sox Dysfunction Overblown by the Media:

I think the dysfunction stuff is overblown!

Buch and AGon underperformed in a big way for a quite a while, now they are contributing and the wins follow.

Lester and Pedroia are having down years, even with three HR in  5 games Pedroia's numbers are way down.

Bard was catastrophic.

Beckett's velocity is down and is trying to adjust with so so results.

What does dysfunction have to do with AGon swinging at balls and never walking? or Beckett's velocity?  or Lester not being able to locate or find his sharp cutter?

Nothing!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Dysfunction Overblown by the Media :  What will be the Yanks' excuse when they get knocked out? can I wait to see the games 1st Not exactly lighting up the pitching stats, huh? which stas you talkin about 3rd in era ain't so bad is it ? http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/league/al My point is, even without perceived dysfuntcion, teams still wallow in mediocrity. yeah ok And make no mistake: The Yanks are a mediocre team right now. no but they are playing like one
    Posted by pinstripezac
    see what you've done; you've made him angry with just two words printed in red. where's you're sense of humanity?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Why would Pinstipezac  care about Red Sox dysfunction? Does he have a dog in the race? Why would he prefer dysfunction in the Sox clubhouse?  Isn't he an outsider - a Yankee fan? Why does he care one way or the other?
    Posted by Calzone65

in the same sense that i am a red sox fan and hope for turmoil in the yankee clubhouse.. its what rival fans do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

but i agree, the media is overblowing the clubhouse issues (if you can even call them issues). personally, i don't even read articles printed by certain writers.

i totally am for the sox boycotting the usual boston media figures mazz, DS, finn etc.

if it were me i wouldn't say a damn thing to them, why would i talk to you if your just going to spin whatever i say and try to "read between the lines" and make me look like an A hole.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Red Sox Dysfunction Overblown by the Media : I think the dysfunction stuff is overblown! Buch and AGon underperformed in a big way for a quite a while, now they are contributing and the wins follow. Lester and Pedroia are having down years, even with three HR in  5 games Pedroia's numbers are way down. Bard was catastrophic. Beckett's velocity is down and is trying to adjust with so so results. What does dysfunction have to do with AGon swinging at balls and never walking? or Beckett's velocity?  or Lester not being able to locate or find his sharp cutter? Nothing!
    Posted by tom-uk
    What you said.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

37-27 in games not started by Lester and Beckett.. if both of them were at .500, the  Sox would be 10 games over .500. So is BV such a bad manager, or is the blame due to poor performance by the #1 and #2 starters. Go a step further and imagine that combined, they were 17-10, the Sox would be 17 games over 500. The Yankees are 18 games over 500.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

When you win, every excess is a good idea.
    When you lose, every excess is a bad idea.

When the Raiders destroyed Washington, they were out every night.

Had they lost, it would've been because they were drinking, undisciplined, and the coach and GM would've been fired (not really, but Davis is not as stupid as LL).

When they won, it was because they were loose and relaxed.

The truth is that they were better, they matched up well, and they were playing perfectly.  The rest of that stuff was meaningless.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Dysfunction Overblown by the Media : But do you reside in a Yankee Forum?
    Posted by Calzone65

a bunch actually. i reside in every MLB team forum and play the part as a loyal fan. jokes on the suckers who believe me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

1) Clubhouse dysfunction does not always have a significant negative effect on a team's performance (see Reggie, Billy and the Yanks). 2) The media thrives on controversy and will create some where none exists, or it will pump up minor issues into major catastrophies. 3) What surprises me most is how many Sox fans fall for the hype. 
    Posted by moonslav59

Moon,

The perception of dysfunction whether real or not, does impact a team if all of the players, coaches and the front office are not in the interest of winning taking the field with a singular goal. In the case of the Yankees teams of the late 70's. The only thing that the players and coaches of those teams hated more than each other was losing.

So while the media, especially those that cover the Red Sox will in the interest of selling news papers, fan the flames of discontent. The soarce of many of those storylines in fact come from within the locker room or from front office personnel that have an axe to grind.

To that end Henry, Luccino, Cherington and Valentine in the interest of ensuring a united front. Must all get together and reach a consensus on what is and is not appropriate to "leak" to the press. Organizational dysfunction leads to anarchy. They then have to surround themselves with players & coaches that buy in and have the intergrity and fortitude to do thier part in the interest of the team.

As they say "Winning cures all ill's", not said, is that it is the ill's that cause the losing. Sometimes those ill's have nothing to do with talant and more to do with petty jealousy's and miscommunication...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

pike, given what we've long seen from sports media, you seem surprised....

Sections
Shortcuts