Re: Red Sox Early Season Observations and Comments
posted at 4/16/2013 6:51 PM EDT
In response to ADG's comment:
1. Through the first 12 games, is there another team that has a better 1-2-3 combo than Lester, Buchholz and Demspter?
2. I'm guessing Mortensen gets slotted into the 6th inning guy, with Taz, Ueh and Bailey.
3. Red Sox as a team are striking out 25% of the time. What happened to the patient, put the ball in play team? With guys like Napoli, Gomes, Middlebrooks and Salty, that's thrown out the window.
4. Stephen Drew getting a day off after being back for only five days. Really?
5. Allen Webster with another outstanding performance. He looks like the real deal.
6. When/if Ortiz returns, the LF should be Nava. Gomes needs ABs, but he is swinging at air.
7. Heart goes out to families of Marathon Tragedy. Unless anyone of us are elite runners, the people (and familes watching) finishing at that time are everyday people like you and me.
1. For the first 12 games, it's true. Long term, we'll see.
2. Probably depends more on matchups.
3. The Sox are patient. They've been taking a lot of pitches and are tied for fourth in the AL in OBP. It's always been more about being patient and getting on base than it was putting the ball in play. Instead of grounding out, they've struck out. Unless it's a matter of moving a runner over, an out's an out. (The Sox are tied for 3rd in the AL in BBs and third in strikeouts.)
4. Much ado about nothing. It probably has as much to do with giving Ciriaco a chance to play than anything else. Even reserves need to play now and then.
5. Maybe but it still all about what any phenom does when he gets to the majors.
6. LF will be a platoon when Ortiz gets back and probably should be. Ride the hot bat. Nava has had a good start, but he'll also go real cold for spells. Both are streaky.